Who owns a Golf GTD / GTI / R?

Associate
Nice. What you got?
Thx, a 2014 Golf R :

NMtOSbo.jpg

Soldato
Had the MK6 Polo GTI for around 11 months now.

Fuel - It amazes me how efficient this thing is on a long run, driven smoothly of course it can achieve silly numbers.

This is in “Normal” Mode from Sheffield to Trafford Centre, driving smoothly but at speed limits.

Of course, drive it spiritedly and slow moving traffic the economy tanks! But nice to achieve great numbers in favourable conditions.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm getting about 30 mpg which i'm pleased with, on a motorway run i can nudge over 40 mpg. Do you guys have ACC? I find it to be great in typical motorway traffic.

Last edited:

V_R

V_R

Soldato
On a more serious note, I thought I'd posted this in here but was only in the 'What have you done to your car' thread. So for any other GTI owners here who's not seen it.....

I swapped out the stock backbox for a Clubsport S version on my GTI, and oh my it has made a huge difference. the car sounds so much better. Has a nicer, deeper tone on idle and a little bit more noise in general when driving normally. But when you get on it the thing comes alive and makes some proper noise. DSG farts have an anger to them and at higher RPM it makes an almighty crack on the upshift, you can hear the overrun too.
Also added the R600 and intake pipe and turbo elbow which have made the induction noises very noticeable now too and the car feels a bit more immediate. Looking at a REVO stage one ECU and TCU tune next as that will top it off nicely.

Quoted post from the other thread below....

Wasn't today, but last week I had these fitted, Racingline R600 intake, intake pipe, turbo elbow and the coolant reroute hose along with the Clubsport S rear silencer.
The car sounds great now, lots more intake noise and the exhaust is how it should have sounded originally. Didn't want anything too asbo and this is perfect, for normal driving its not much different, but put your foot down and it comes alive.

zeuG2BJ.jpg

j7WWxVN.jpg

V_R

V_R

Soldato
I got mine from cars245, but they are available in a few places eBay etc, usually come from overseas. The part number is 5G6253609DD.

Edit: You will also need the sleeve clamp, part # 1K0253141AA

Last edited:
Soldato
Just bought myself a Mk5 Golf GTI (DSG, 3 door, Tornado Red, heated leather interior).

Need something to keep the 911 off the road in winter. Managed to find a car with inches of service history. A single owner car with no service intervals missed on anything, receipts and stamps for everything. It does have, quite a few miles. 173,000 of them to be precise. However its in fantastic condition so I'm not worried at all.

Initial impressions are its a surprisingly good drive.

Considering its just a winter hack, I'm now already resisting the urge to get a remap on it :rolleyes:

Associate
Proper Bargain to be fair, especially if you are unlucky enough to have anything serious fail.
Yes that’s what I thought ,I signed up yesterday ,I have a 68 plate GTD ,and even something like a LED headlight failing and getting replaced under warranty that’s basically the plan paying for itself !

V_R

V_R

Soldato
It's all plans isn't it, not just all in one I thought.

Mine ran out in June and saw this last night, tempted to renew it at that price.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes that’s what I thought ,I signed up yesterday ,I have a 68 plate GTD ,and even something like a LED headlight failing and getting replaced under warranty that’s basically the plan paying for itself !

If you look how much Full Component Warranty is on such car for a year, it’s basically the price of the plan, bonkers.

I had it on my MK7.5 GTD and now my Polo GTI.

Always had my monies worth with Services and MOT’s.

1 Warranty Job carried out on the Golf - Bonnet Release cable failed meaning I was unable to open the bonnet (Problematic) especially as it was due both Service and MOT but was covered under warranty.

I think the bill would have been over £600 if I re-call correctly, thankfully covered.

Associate
Looking for a 67 plate mk7.5 GTi DSG which might just about stretch to my budget if I'm patient but is there anything I need to be looking out for on these with slightly higher miles? Around 80k. DSG reliability pretty good on this age? Thanks

V_R

V_R

Soldato
80k is when the DSG in the 7.5's need a service (its 40k in the mk7's) so make sure that's done. Just a heads up.

A mate has a 7.5 DSG, 68 reg and is up around 60k, hasn't missed a beat and he thinks its got better with age.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom