Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Associate
Associate
Hmm, well the dealer couldn't find anything wrong nor could they find any leaks on the breather hose but they did say they performed a PCM update. Will see how it goes when I pick it up later.

Associate
All good so far, and not had any issues since i've got the car back. Also could be all placebo, but i think mpg has improved slightly.

Soldato
'Just wondering what you ST220 owners are planning to do with your cars long term. We all know they are thirsty mofos and can thus be had relativlely cheaply due to everyone hopping on the turbo diesel bandwagon. The Duratec V6 engine is apparently very reliable and maintenance costs are reasonable. Do any of you intend running yours into the ground before replacing? I'm thinking that could be the way forward.

Also, what other sports saloons do you think could offer a similar price/performance ratio in the coming years?

Soldato
'Just wondering what you ST220 owners are planning to do with your cars long term. We all know they are thirsty mofos and can thus be had relativlely cheaply due to everyone hopping on the turbo diesel bandwagon. The Duratec V6 engine is apparently very reliable and maintenance costs are reasonable. Do any of you intend running yours into the ground before replacing? I'm thinking that could be the way forward.

Also, what other sports saloons do you think could offer a similar price/performance ratio in the coming years?

Mines already done 122k so might as well keep going now till its gets too expensive to repair.

Was thinking of swapping it for a Saab 9-3 Aero but would only do it if it was a straight swap for a younger car.

Soldato
OP

I bought mine because it (in my mind, anyway) offered the best balance of performance, reliability, comfort, equipment and driveability for under about £8-10k. I knew that I would be keeping it a while and I can see me doing so. I still love driving it, and I still look back at it when I park it. I cannot see me replacing it until something truly superior comes along at a price I can afford.

I feel that as time goes on, worthy 'competitors' to the ST220 include the Octavia VRS and Mazda 6 MPS. but I chose it over these because of price and possible reliability issues.

Unless my circumstances change drastically, forcing me to replace it, then I'll keep it until I can afford something which will be a worthy upgrade. Something like an Audi S4, BMW M3, some form of Corvette (!)

I'm not fussed about the residuals at all. Mine's done 80k and will probably have a good chunk more when I do sell it. It'll sell for what it sells for :)

The Saab 9-3 is a much inferior car, IMHO.

Imy

Imy

Soldato

I bought mine on 44k miles (54 plate) a couple of months ago for about £5k which isn't a lot of money for the amount of car you get. As you say it's very thirsty. I was thinking of getting another car for commuting anyway so that'll leave the ST220 for weekends/family use.

I'd find it difficult to part with it as I can't imagine getting a better car of it's type for the same amount of money again and it's still got a lot of life left in it I feel - especially if I'm going to cut down it's use as well.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
It is possible to make it cost-effective within a few years but that's not my only reason for getting a 2nd car. My commute is mostly urban driving and I'm just not having the same fun in the ST220 that I had in smaller/lighter car.

Associate
Came across this ST220 on the weekend - it was so haggered... !

All 4 jack point covers missing, smashed front bumper, rear bumper hanging off, missing 2 front alloys :confused:

Maybe it was a track car...who knows...

STH.jpg

Associate
Just bought some flat aero wipers online to replace the stock ones. The current wipers look a bit dated, particularly the rear one so hopefully the new set should improve the looks slightly.

Back
Top Bottom