Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Imy

Imy

Soldato
1st problem sounds like suspension

2nd problem is the clutch possibly combined with breather pipe/idle valve control

No idea about the seatbelt warning light but the engine management light could be to do with the breather pipe/idle valve control or tbh a whole host of other things

Last edited:
Soldato
Came across this ST220 on the weekend - it was so haggered... !

All 4 jack point covers missing, smashed front bumper, rear bumper hanging off, missing 2 front alloys :confused:

Maybe it was a track car...who knows...

STH.jpg

FOR SALE
ST220
Average miles for year
1 Woman Owner
:D

Soldato
Got my ST220 serviced on Monday and asked the garage to look into why the engine was hunting at idle. They couldnt find any issues with it and said that it was idling fine which I thought was odd.

Anyway, it got progressively worse over the last two days and the engine management light came on this morning, so its now back in the shop. Turns out it needs a new vacuum pipe (I think thats the correct term) as the seal has gone. The garage has ordered the part in and duct taped it up in the meantime. Hopefully it wont cost too much to get sorted...:(

Getting my new ICE installed on Thursday so praying this doesnt cost too much. Thank **** its pay day on Monday.

Soldato
Ordered it through a local main dealer. Arrived yesterday but haven't picked it up yet. Not sure whether Halfords stick it.

Edit/Picked mine up from Evans Halshaw yesterday.

Last edited:
Soldato
@ Howard

Yeah of course :) Tbh I'm in two minds as to whether I'm getting value for money from my local independent. The fact is you can buy far more current tech at a vastly reduced price through buying online and doing a self install, but I wouldnt have a clue where to start and cant be bothered to commit the time to learn to do so. I guess I'm paying a premium for getting a professional install and peace of mind.

In other news I diagnosed my rough idle as a worn seal on the vacuum pipe (its a tiny thin elbow shaped pipe approx 1 inch long). Problem was Evans Halshaw have no idea what the part is called so they've sent it off to their technical enquiries team for advice. Either way they say once they identify the part it will only be a 5 min job to fit it. In the meantime my vacuum pipe is held in place by a cable tie. Crude but effective. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Dropped the Mondy off at the ICE dealers this morning for the big install. :D

Main Spec:

Head Unit: Alpine CDA-117Ri
Front Speakers & Tweeters (custom mounted in A-Pillars): Focal K2 Power Components
Amp: Focal 4 channel Amp
Subwoofer: Vibe Black Air 12" Active

I had to compromise heavily on the choice of sub as I sunk most of my my budget into the front end which is the way you're supposed to do it from what I've read. I know Vibe subs aren't rated very highly by the SQ snobs but it was the only one within budget and when I listened to them they sounded awesome to my non-audiophile ears. :p

Sound deadening, stalk controls, wiring, fascia and labour costs have bumped the cost up to £1200. I wanted to buy all brand new and also get the install done locally by a professional outfit to ensure it's optimised and to keep my ST220 looking pristine. Plus the 3 chaps who own the shop are great guys and I know I'll get top notch after care down the line. :)

The Focal amp will be housed in a fabricated wall on the left hand side of the boot and the sub on a fabricated MDF floor.

I sourced a pair of A pillars from a breaking ST220 and had them trimmed and the tweeters fitted in them. I'm keeping the factory A Pillars and will reinstall them if/when I sell the car in its factory state.

Picking the Mondy up on Friday afternoon. Can't frickin wait :D

Fingers crossed for nice weather so I can take some pics and get 'em up on here which shpuld hopefully make this wall of text a tad more interesting...:p

Last edited:
Soldato
What made you opt for a single-din stereo over a double-din? I'm tempted by the 2012 double-din pioneer units myself.

I considered a double din Pioneer unit for a long time. Yes they look more OEM but I don't think the face plates are removable? Plus the double din Pioneer I was looking at had a lower voltage on the pre outs, 2v vs 4v on the 117Ri. Ultimately I thought it best to go for the best HU in sound quality terms and that was the 117Ri without question.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Yeah I'm struggling to justify it myself as I'm also wanting to upgrade my brakes and headlights.

So I'm also considering the AVH-4400BT (still 7" screen but not detachable) and the AVH-2400BT (5.8" screen + physical controls + front aux/usb). Both still have the 3 x 4V RCA preouts and are usefully cheaper.

Permabanned
Dropped the Mondy off at the ICE dealers this morning for the big install. :D

Main Spec:

Head Unit: Alpine CDA-117Ri
Front Speakers & Tweeters (custom mounted in A-Pillars): Focal K2 Power Components
Amp: Focal 4 channel Amp
Subwoofer: Vibe Black Air 12" Active

I had to compromise heavily on the choice of sub as I sunk most of my my budget into the front end which is the way you're supposed to do it from what I've read. I know Vibe subs aren't rated very highly by the SQ snobs but it was the only one within budget and when I listened to them they sounded awesome to my non-audiophile ears. :p

Sound deadening, stalk controls, wiring, fascia and labour costs have bumped the cost up to £1200. I wanted to buy all brand new and also get the install done locally by a professional outfit to ensure it's optimised and to keep my ST220 looking pristine. Plus the 3 chaps who own the shop are great guys and I know I'll get top notch after care down the line. :)

The Focal amp will be housed in a fabricated wall on the left hand side of the boot and the sub on a fabricated MDF floor.

I sourced a pair of A pillars from a breaking ST220 and had them trimmed and the tweeters fitted in them. I'm keeping the factory A Pillars and will reinstall them if/when I sell the car in its factory state.

Picking the Mondy up on Friday afternoon. Can't frickin wait :D

Fingers crossed for nice weather so I can take some pics and get 'em up on here which shpuld hopefully make this wall of text a tad more interesting...:p

I for one will be very interested to see this.

I still have all my old kit out of my S3 that I got rid ofabout 18 months ago and never bothered fitting it to my last car as I wasn't planning on keeping it. Now however I am planning on keeping the car, but my sub is a huge 12" SPL jobby and needs a massive box to sit in, and I really want to take up as little space as possible, the other problem is that my components are no good for bass (the kick version) so have to be accompanied by a sub.
The HU also has problems. and I have no woring left

so I need
new sub
new HU
new wiring
probably new components as well lol

I used to have some Diamond Audio D661 components when I had my Mk1 mondeo they were awesome but wouldn't fit in my S3 so I had to sell them, really really wish I hadn't :(

Soldato
I am going to be in the market for a replacement car soon.

I've owned 4 Mk2's Ghia and Ghia X's and 1 Mk4 Titanium X.

Think it's time I got a Mk3 ST220. Estate form would be better as I prefer Estate practicality over hatch.

Private sales of ST220 Estates are next to non-existent though! A 1-2 owner example is what I'll hold out for. Patience and all that...

Back
Top Bottom