Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Soldato
OP
I am interested to see these results, you will be posting them in here as well right ;) ;) ;)

Also, slightly modded airbox ?

Spose :p

Regarding the airbox, when Ford facelifted the car and added the 6-speed gearbox, they removed the second air feed into the airbox because the gearbox got in the way. In typical cost-cutting fashion, they didn't re-design the airbox to eradicate the second inlet, so there's a hole in the bottom of the airbox on the left hand side, about 3 inches long, which sucks in air from the middle of the engine bay. Adding some piping to this which routes round to a "colder" area of the engine bay, i.e. in front of the nearside headlamp, can help with induction temperatures and heat soak.

Permabanned
Spose :p

Regarding the airbox, when Ford facelifted the car and added the 6-speed gearbox, they removed the second air feed into the airbox because the gearbox got in the way. In typical cost-cutting fashion, they didn't re-design the airbox to eradicate the second inlet, so there's a hole in the bottom of the airbox on the left hand side, about 3 inches long, which sucks in air from the middle of the engine bay. Adding some piping to this which routes round to a "colder" area of the engine bay, i.e. in front of the nearside headlamp, can help with induction temperatures and heat soak.

As I also have the 6-speed box my car will be affected by this also,
If I take the top off the airbox and take out the filter is the hole visible from there ?

What sized piping is required to do this mod ?
Did you actually notice any difference ?

Soldato
OP
If I take the top off the airbox and take out the filter is the hole visible from there ?
Yeah, it's easier to take the whole airbox unit out though by detaching it from the pipe.

What sized piping is required to do this mod ?
57mm rectangle according to this:

http://www.stdrivers.co.uk/forum/topic/23166-adding-a-2nd-air-feed-to-st220-6-speed/

Pics don't work any more though :(

Did you actually notice any difference ?

I don't know. :D

If anything it seemed to bog down a bit less when driving in the summer heat.

Soldato
Annoyingly I thought I had found the perfect ST, it had pretty much all of the optional extras including sat nav (not essential but pretty cool) but I can't bring myself to pay the higher tax rate every year as it was registered after the March cut off in 2006.

Totally irrational but I think it would make it difficult to resell in the future and it's hard to stomach spending £450 per year.

Soldato
Resale value won't drop a Hge amounting the age of these cars really. The other view I'd take is that the extra money on tax is still nothing vs the cost of a comparable alternative to the st220 really.

Soldato
Well it's an 06 reg, 50k miles with sat nav, meant to be in excellent condition and just serviced. Would use the tax as a negotiation tool but I think I could get it for £4k'ish.

Can't help but think the price is still on the high side with the astronomical tax factored in. Any thoughts?

Soldato
OP
If it's in excellent condition what does it matter if it costs a few hundred more to buy than one that isn't quite as new or in as good condition? Sounds good to me. The tax is a bit of a wounder but then it's that or buy an older one in likely worse condition.

Soldato
Luckily my ideal ST220 kinda fell into my lap and I jumped on it straight away! 53 plate that only had 60k and a half decent spec :)

I think if the car looked good I wouldn't worry about a few hundred pounds a year difference. Just think about how much you'll be spending on petrol and the tax difference will pale in comparison lol

Associate
Quick question regarding ST220's...I've been recently looking through ads of cars for sale, and one popped up that said it had the "wolf pack" on it.

Whats the "wolf pack" or "wolf edition"?

Soldato
Haven't ruled it out yet but I do feel slightly uncomfortable dropping £450 on tax every year, I can't see how that's good value.

However, in the grand scheme of things if I can get the car for a cheap price it may be worthwhile. We'll see :)

Soldato
noted,

and apology accepted :p

:p

Haven't ruled it out yet but I do feel slightly uncomfortable dropping £450 on tax every year, I can't see how that's good value.

However, in the grand scheme of things if I can get the car for a cheap price it may be worthwhile. We'll see :)

No chance i would pay that for any Ford.

Plenty of ST220's about, can you not find a 55 plate?

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Before:

uh3w.jpg

After magic applied:

nf28.jpg

They (Perfect Finish, Coventry) did an equally good job on the other bits too.

Felt so strange getting back into the ST after driving the DS3 for 3 days. The steering is so heavy (better) in comparison to the DS3 and the gearbox a lot less vague. The braking on the DS3 was much more effective though so that's still something I'm looking to deal with on the ST.

p.s. not heard of the wolf pack either.

Last edited:

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Well braking in the ST has never made me lurch forward and I don't think it could, but the DS3 did.

Edit: oh and before I forget, I zeroed the trip computer on the DS3 when I picked it up and when I gave it back it said I averaged 28.5mpg (official combined value is 47.9mpg) lol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom