Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Soldato
Na, he decided to keep it. What did we put it up for, £2800 wasn't it?

Over half the price of the next GTA for sale, with a whole of 6 GTA's for sale on the whole uk internets.

Few knuckle draggers viewed it, he then decided to tax and MOT it and keep it. He wants his mates 5 series now though, so needs to make room.

Personally, i think he is selling it too cheap and that is why he isn't get any serious buyers. Won't listen to me though.

Associate
:( Cant we have one for the Mk1 Mondeos

3_5.jpg

Soldato
O if i had another dog i would have definitely bought the estate version. So much easy, especially after dogs have been in river and then scratch all your rear bumper trying to climb into the boot.

I really want another dog now. Miss having a dog around :(

Was looking at a few last night infact.

Associate
Thought I would join in. Was driving to a mates house the other day in my ST TDCI and all of a sudden it was running/sounding a bit rough. Wasn't sure what was wrong, turbo was making a whooshing sound when I came off the accelerator, it felt like it was down on power, wasn't revving so well. Rang my mechanic, told him what I was seeing, hearing and feeling and he thought based on my description it could be either a boost hose popped off, split house or a dying turbo. Fast forward a to the beginning of this week, I limped it to the garage, got a call earlier today to say my exhaust system has fractured. He thinks looking at it that it maybe the original, so not bad for just over 70k of driving.

This is the first major thing I have had "go wrong or fail" since I got the car. Bought it with 42k on the clock, its now on just over 70k and have owned it since Oct 2011.

So apparently 3 choices I have are as follows -

1. Get the standard ford system
2. Get an off the shelf performance exhaust (cobra has been suggested)
3. Have a custom made system somewhere.

Has anyone else upgraded their systems when they have needed replacing or failed and what did you go for?

Soldato
Just had a turbo back MIJ exhaust fitted on Monday to my 2.2 TDCi (de-cat/Downpipe/Rear section with Back Box) and it's a fantastically well made bit of kit. They've got a few bad reviews in the past (an Audi TT 2-3 years ago that was horrendous) but they've changed fabricators recently and the quality is much better and they seem to do quite a lot of Mondeos.

I gave them a hand during the build so I saw upclose how good the welds were and also whilst I was there, they were making up some various back-boxes and the guy doing the welding was doing a very skillful job on them.

As a bonus there's their MIJ stickered R34GTR there (under covers) for you to drool over whilst your cars being sorted.

*** EDIT ***

MIJ sell their ST TDCi exhaust via eBay too - (Ignore the price it's £445 when in stock)

Last edited:
Associate
Just had a turbo back MIJ exhaust fitted on Monday to my 2.2 TDCi (de-cat/Downpipe/Rear section with Back Box) and it's a fantastically well made bit of kit. They've got a few bad reviews in the past (an Audi TT 2-3 years ago that was horrendous) but they've changed fabricators recently and the quality is much better and they seem to do quite a lot of Mondeos.

I gave them a hand during the build so I saw upclose how good the welds were and also whilst I was there, they were making up some various back-boxes and the guy doing the welding was doing a very skillful job on them.

As a bonus there's their MIJ stickered R34GTR there (under covers) for you to drool over whilst your cars being sorted.

*** EDIT ***

MIJ sell their ST TDCi exhaust via eBay too - (Ignore the price it's £445 when in stock)

Nice one thanks for that, just been on the phone speaking to MIJ, a chap called Immy, very helpful indeed. How much louder has that made your car? As far as I know I need the mid section and back box. I did read, although don't know if true, that diesel cars don't need a cat as emissions aren't measured at MOT? Just a smoke test? As I say, that could be rubbish, just what I have read. Also what about insurance, did it cost much extra?

Do you have any video footage (sorry I know a bit geeky)

Also, you mentioned Cobra not being so good? Do you have experience of them or anything? I heard good reviews? Sorry for so many questions, just want to make sure I make the right choice :)

Last edited:
Soldato
1. De-Cat - Yeap, it's true that "currently" a diesel doesn't need a Cat for the MOT as it's just a smoke test and mines passed a few MOT's without one but who knows what'll happen in the future so I kept mine safe in my garage in-case I need to refit it later, although you can get £250ish on eBay selling it for the metals inside.

2. Louder - Mine only has 1 small back-box (no Mid box) yet its very quiet and the MIJ is no-louder than the crappy "Custom" one I had on before (turned out to be a mild steel OEM copy and a bag'o'crap!) or the stock OEM that was on it when I bought the car. It sounds "nicer" on full throttle over the other two, although it still sounds like diesel obviously which doesn't sound as nice as a petrol doing the same.

3. Insurance - It cost me nothing through Admiral as it's a replacement exhaust not a "sports system" according to them, not going to argue!

4. Video - I completely forgot to get any pics of it when it was up on the ramps (even had it on ramps today doing a wheel alignment too, Doh!) and I've got no video footage either, although I doubt you could tell much if I had as it sounds very "normal" TBH.

Associate
1. De-Cat - Yeap, it's true that "currently" a diesel doesn't need a Cat for the MOT as it's just a smoke test and mines passed a few MOT's without one but who knows what'll happen in the future so I kept mine safe in my garage in-case I need to refit it later, although you can get £250ish on eBay selling it for the metals inside.

2. Louder - Mine only has 1 small back-box (no Mid box) yet its very quiet and the MIJ is no-louder than the crappy "Custom" one I had on before (turned out to be a mild steel OEM copy and a bag'o'crap!) or the stock OEM that was on it when I bought the car. It sounds "nicer" on full throttle over the other two, although it still sounds like diesel obviously which doesn't sound as nice as a petrol doing the same.

3. Insurance - It cost me nothing through Admiral as it's a replacement exhaust not a "sports system" according to them, not going to argue!

4. Video - I completely forgot to get any pics of it when it was up on the ramps (even had it on ramps today doing a wheel alignment too, Doh!) and I've got no video footage either, although I doubt you could tell much if I had as it sounds very "normal" TBH.

Thanks very much. I don't want it to be much if any louder, one thing I do know will happen is you will get more of a noise from the turbo on spool down, read a lot about it on the ST Drivers forum. I think this can be reduced if required by adding more silencer boxes into the system.

Soldato
TBH I don't get any loud "Turbo-Flutter/Waste-Gate" noise with mine (you can barely hear it) and it was only ever "loud" when my OEM exhaust rusted through with a 5cm hole and then, oh hell yeah it was very noticeable and sounded quite good :D

There's a few videos of MIJ exhausts on ST TDCi's on Youtube where you can hear quite loudly it from the outside by the tail-pipe but I've not done that on mine to compare it (it might sound the same???).

Tell you what I'll take a quick video tomorrow and post it for you - Quality will be Phone rather than camcorder so it'll be poo though.

Soldato
I have dipped to 14MPG :/

Something has to be broke, though the performance is absolutely fine. Will freeze my titties off tomorrow and have a good look.

What we guessing? I am going with a lambda sensor though the ECU hasn't picked up on any faults, yet.

Soldato
Tell you what I'll take a quick video tomorrow and post it for you - Quality will be Phone rather than camcorder so it'll be poo though.

Or maybe not, cars still in the garage getting the rear sub-frame bushes changed and they ran out of time (a few mechanics off sick :()

Permabanned
Or maybe not, cars still in the garage getting the rear sub-frame bushes changed and they ran out of time (a few mechanics off sick :()

How does one know if these are knackered ?
and generally speaking how long do they last before they start giving issues ?

Is it a big job to get them changed ?

I asked my mechanic to check all my suspension over a couple of months ago because I wasn't happy and he didn't pick up on these, but I wasn't sure if it was something you would pick up on if you weren't specifically looking for it. :)

Back
Top Bottom