Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Yes it does, you won't be able to see much without removing it. I had plenty of difficulty when I fitted my parking sensors.

Check that the boot floor isn't mis-shapened too.

If I do go insurance route, can I choose where it gets repaired? Do I need to get approval before starting repairs or do I just go ahead and send them the bill?

As far as I know you're fully entitled to tell the third party's insurer that you want it sorted by a certain repairer. You'll need to speak with them about it though really.

Thanks, that's really helpful.

I've gone back to him with an ultimatum then. Either take on the risk of further damage being found when bumper is removed during repair work - or we go via insurance.

Edit: he's come back and said he wants a mechanic he knows to take a look over it so he's confident costs won't spiral.

It's close by to me so I agreed to do it at his expense but the work will still be done at a place of my choice.

Last edited:
The workshop said they can sort the clip out (if it's just that one) with a new mould I think.

There's a downside to replacing the entire bumper in that mine's already had the "bumper fix".

I probably should've gone the insurance route from the off but my instinct was he was going to make things as difficult as possible.

So rather than face the possibility of going back and forth for weeks/months I am exploring his offer to pay for the damage and I got a couple quotes which he has said he'd pay but he wants a little more certainty over final costs.

He's going to get someone he knows to take a look at it and hopefully re-assure him but I said to him already that doing so is for his benefit and I will still hold him liable for any damage discovered later by my choice of repair shop.

If anything goes even slightly off plan from this point forwards though I'm just going to start the insurance ball rolling. On the plus side, if it does now go to insurance, I got a long WhatsApp conversation with him offering to pay which I'd hope would improve my case.

Last edited:
Imy, please please please go the insurance route. I can't tell you what to do, but I really think you're going the wrong route.

What this man says, even if you have had the bumper fix, you will have a warrantied bumper, try to get somewhere that will cover it for a few years and then if it does start sagging you can take it back to them.

Hi guys.
I've seen an ST220 that's 07 reg and has only done just over 17k miles.
Guy has it up for sale at £8k, is it worth it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Mond...3515406?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item43cf775e0e

That's the beast^^

Also, is there anything to be wary of with ST220s?

I seen that for sale on AT the other day. It's got to be the lowest mileage example I have seen and it looks mint. But just don't think it's worth 8k. Mine is an 04 and in great condition which cost 3.5k so wouldn't pay more than 7k for that.
They are great cars so if your gonna keep it for years then it's up to u but the 06 and 07's are hard to re sell due to the high tax! I have seen 06 models sell for the same as 04's just cos of the £480 tax.
Oh and check for oil leaks after the test drive! Mine as an oil leak and so does my dad's which is coming from the crank seal =£400 job.

That's not worth £8k, not at all. Low mileage is appealing 'n all, but there's a lot to be said for a car that's had reasonably regular use whilst being looked after.

Taking into consideration the higher tax costs of the '07 cars, I'd say that's not worth much more than about £6-6.5k.

Oil leaks and subframe bushes are the main things to look out for.

Would you say then £7k plus 6/12 months tax is a fair deal?

Yeh at most if your gonna keep it for years to come. But if your only buying to keep for a year or 2 max just spend 4k on one with like 60k on the clock. It's rare to find one with only 17k on. The interior on that is the nicest combo aswell which is also rare.
A lot of dealers start out charging silly amounts for the ST220's hoping someone will turn up that's been searching forever and will pay top £ but I seen a 2005 the other day drop from 5k to 4k as it's been for sale for months so I would make a far lower cash offer which they would probably except if your gonna buy it.

Okay.

So an ST220 at around 40-50k on clock, how likely is that to be knocking or rattly?

I found this one which seems cheap in comparison - would the difference between 17k and 45k miles be minimal?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...1/maximum-mileage/up_to_50000_miles?logcode=p

Depends how it's looked after. 45k miles is nothing on them there built to go way into the hundreds of k miles. Mine has 84k and feels and drives great. It's looked after and had the same owner for the last 9yrs.
I would go for one like that in the link and save a couple grand.

Hi guys.
I've seen an ST220 that's 07 reg and has only done just over 17k miles.
Guy has it up for sale at £8k, is it worth it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Mond...3515406?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item43cf775e0e

That's the beast^^

Also, is there anything to be wary of with ST220s?

dont be so obsessed with milage it doesnt always mean anything relevant to the condition of the mechanics. You could have an example with 70k miles thats just been up and down a motorway for 6 years, so has not much gearbox/clutch/suspension component wear, then you could have an example with only 45k miles but they are across pot hole filled country roads so mechanically it has more wear than the 70k example. I bought mine over 3 years ago with 44k miles it now has 76k and feels just the same. You can easily pick up a good example for <5k.

If you want a 2nd face lift model worth getting a late 2005 - pre march 2006 as the tax is significantly less but the car wont be any different.

The common (horribly expensive) crank shaft seal oil leak issue will be apparent as youll see a small ammount of oil running down between the sump and gearbox, the oil usually makes it way under the gearbox so easy to spot, but check after the test drive. Mines been weaping for 2 years now, does effect the oil level, drops around half a litres every 4-5 months. Also common for the sump gasket to leak, often easy to confuse the crack seal and sump gasket leak. One is cheap to fix one isnt! £600 for the crank usually as its a gearbox out job, which then turns into a £800 job as you mayaswell do clutch etc.. apart from that its a strong engine and gearbox (assuming the 6 speed).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom