Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Had a look at this today:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...postcode/rh159ss/radius/1500/page/2?logcode=p

Lovely looking thing, and the only mark I could find on it anywhere was a rusty stone chip on the corner of the bonnet. The wheels were in excellent shape and had Conti Sport Contacts all around, all with decent tread. The interior was very clean, with a little wear to the driver's seat bolster as you'd expect. Everything electrical worked, but it needed a boost as the battery was flat and as such it wouldn't start.

Got it started and it was running very, very lumpy. The engine management light was on, and with a slight tickle of the throttle a weird shake could be felt in neutral (could this be a separate issue?). The car barely went anywhere when I buried the accelerator, and a whining noise could be heard that changed pitch with engine speed, so probably knackered tensioner/alternator bearing. I said the the seller that I wasn't happy with it running the way it did, and he said it wouldn't be sold like that (then why advertise it in such a state?!) and that they'd sort it (new EGR valve was what he said it needed). I decided to take one last look at the car before we left, and saw that the puddle of water it was standing in before we left off had an oil slick around the front end of the car. I walked away slightly disheartened, as upto the point the car was started, I was sold on it.

Last edited:
Sounds like it was misfiring, among other things. The EGR valve won't be the cause. I thought it looked a bit cheap as soon as I clicked the link. I also noticed the blackened headlights and thought "oh dear" :p

Have you ever driven or been out in one otherwise? I'd be happy to show you what a working one can do if you live anywhere near me!

It's an option for sure. The wife prefers the Mondeo though. I just want to find the best car I can with my money.

I'm only really interested in facelift saloons, in any colour as long as they don't have black leather. Nav would be nice, but not essential.

It's an option for sure. The wife prefers the Mondeo though. I just want to find the best car I can with my money.

I'm only really interested in facelift saloons, in any colour as long as they don't have black leather. Nav would be nice, but not essential.

Have to say I much prefer the Hatchback to the Saloon. Saloons look like a woman sticking her big behind out.

One reason for a saloon is that I can fit less bulky things in it, so there's no chance it'll be used for rubbish tip runs. Such duties will be thrust upon the wife's Leon Cupra.

But yes, IMO the saloon looks much nicer. The C-pillar on the hatch looks disproportionate.

Back
Top Bottom