Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Soldato
One reason for a saloon is that I can fit less bulky things in it, so there's no chance it'll be used for rubbish tip runs. Such duties will be thrust upon the wife's Leon Cupra.

But yes, IMO the saloon looks much nicer. The C-pillar on the hatch looks disproportionate.

I had the choice of a saloon and hatchback and went for the hatchback for this very reason. I was worried it may have been more difficult for my girlfriend to get the buggy in/out of the saloon due to the smaller opening. She wasn't 100% convinced with the mondeo coming from a Fiesta ST (which we sold as it wasn't big enough) so I thought the hatchback was the best option. She loves it, I may a quality decision so everyone is happy now :)

Soldato
I've driven three ST220s, and whilst I can't remember much about the first, the most recent two had very 'wooden' feeling brakes, despite the last one having recent work including new calipers. They also seem to take quite a bit of force to operate compared with what I'm used to.

Are they all like this?

Soldato
OP
They're not sharply assisted like many modern cars, which to some doesn't inspire as much confidence, but contrary to some people's belief that you need Focus ST brakes or 6 pot AP Racing calipers, they work well and are easily modulated and plentiful for road use.

If they were excessively spongy or wooden they could have just had worn out pads or ageing brake fluid.

Permabanned
Yeah I have found the brakes to the the worst aspect of the car but not bad enough to warrant an upgrade.

The thing is the brakes aren't bad, they are in fact pretty good, it's just that you have to press them hard to get the stopping power out of them due to them not being over assisted.

Takes about a day of getting used to, after that no issues whatsoever

Soldato
They do stop you but I always feel like I'm having to press way too hard (like there's no initial bite) before you actually slow down which makes me a bit nervous about my speed. Considering a brake upgrade to "cure" this, or at least make me feel happier!

Soldato
I love the brakes on the ST220, they have so much more "feel" than a lot of the modern cars. I can understand why people find them worrying if you're used to brakes that clamp on if you sneeze near them, but although I thought about it initially, I'd never change them now.

Soldato
I love the brakes on the ST220, they have so much more "feel" than a lot of the modern cars. I can understand why people find them worrying if you're used to brakes that clamp on if you sneeze near them, but although I thought about it initially, I'd never change them now.

Agree entirely.

Soldato
OP

Agreed. With decent pads and brake fluid they're excellent.

Imy, what don't you like about them?

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Imy, what don't you like about them?

They don't have much feel to them - slightly spongy. I'm pretty sure my (MK1) Focus stopped in shorter distances too.

I got some Goodridge hoses waiting to go on which are meant to sort the spongyness out but it is still a heavy car and needs a touch more braking power I feel.

The last owner put some Mintex drilled/grooved disks on too which I'll be changing back to OEM at some point.

Soldato
OP
If the brake fluid is 50/50 water/brake fluid, that won't help either. Mine firmed up a bit and became less "fadey" when giving it the beans once I changed the fluid. I have Pagid OEM replacement pads on too which are good, so I presume some "high performance" pads would be even better

One day I might do the Focus ST brake conversion but only so the bigger calipers fill the wheels better ;)

Imy

Imy

Soldato
The cost of the ASBO conversion seems to have shot up. People were getting both front calipers+carriers for £150 and in great condition and now it's doubled.

There are 2 pairs of refurbs on ebay atm - one painted orange and another blue. £600 though! They come with the rears too which I'm not sure if they fit the ST220 or not - people usually only do the fronts.

Soldato
The cost of the ASBO conversion seems to have shot up. People were getting both front calipers+carriers for £150 and in great condition and now it's doubled.

There are 2 pairs of refurbs on ebay atm - one painted orange and another blue. £600 though! They come with the rears too which I'm not sure if they fit the ST220 or not - people usually only do the fronts.

The rears don't as far as I'm aware or not without modification. That has shot up, I got the brakes carrier and some focus front suspension arms for about £225 but this was a few years ago when this mod was very popular. Managed to sell the arms for £100 or so, so worked out a nice cheap mod.

Back
Top Bottom