Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Imy

Imy

Soldato
One other thing that came to light when I was comparing those 2 cars (I went for the ST220 in the end) was the lack of proper fold-down rear seats in the MPS. There's a frame which gets in the way.

So as well as better looking, the ST220 is more practical than the MPS. It's also rare enough I think for that not to matter for comparison but not so rare you'll really struggle to find one to buy.

Soldato
Just found a garage 13 miles from me with 5 ST220's so I'm going to view and test drive one tomorrow, I will report back with my thoughts and feelings. :) I haven't actually test driven the 6 MPS yet (they're so bloody rare) but I have driven a couple of 3 MPS's so I know what the power delivery will be like.

I do think that I might prefer the power delivery of the MPS but the sound of the ST220 may swing it!

Soldato
I had blueflame/mongoose on mine which was brilliant, from what I remember the miltek wasn't that great, the other one that came up was some place up Hull way that done custom and had done a fair chunk of exhausts for the 220 but I can't remember the name I'm afraid.

Remap wise, the dreamscience I had on mine greatly improved the response and the top end but took a little out of the low range, improved the mpgz by 1 or 2 too. Add an induction kit with the dreamscience and the noise at the top end is brilliant I went for a pipercross system that moved the filter into the wing and it sounded incredible without any risk of heat soak.

Imy

Imy

Soldato

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Almost forgot why I logged on...

My insurance renewal has come through and this is the first time I'm being quoted for the entire year (previously was a top-up when I changed cars).

I've been quoted £533.45 for 12 months, fully comp including bonus protection and extended hire car cover (with Admiral).

I've got 8 years NCB and no points.

Just wondering how that compares with what other people pay. Remember to include the name of your insurer!

Soldato
Just wondering how that compares with what other people pay. Remember to include the name of your insurer!

When I almost bought an ST220 a week ago, mine came out at £490 ish. I'm 30 with 2 years NCD and a fault claim a month ago, with a non-fault claim last year and my wife (30 years old) with a fault claim as a named driver. That was with Direct Line.

Soldato
OP
What's a decent exhaust system for the car? Miltek, Janspeed?
Do they respond well to remaps? Add anything to the mid range in torque?

Neil.

You may gain 10-20bhp depending on whether you've got an aftermarket exhaust/induction kit. Supposedly the remap units (Dreamscience, Pumaspeed etc) remove the torque limiters in lower gears as well, which should make it feel quicker in the mid-range with town driving etc.

The best modification to do to the induction side of things is to add a pipe to the airbox inlet next to the gearbox. This second air feed was removed when they facelifted it and added the 6 speed gearbox because there wasn't enough room for the pipework, so they just left a hole in the side of the airbox. It can help with induction temps if you add one yourself and route it to behind the headlamp or into the bumper for example. This will give you as much if not more gain than spending a fortune on an "aftermarket" air filter system IMHO.

I'm probably going to go for a JP exhaust system at some point soon. They seem to sound the nicest!

Almost forgot why I logged on...

My insurance renewal has come through and this is the first time I'm being quoted for the entire year (previously was a top-up when I changed cars).

I've been quoted £533.45 for 12 months, fully comp including bonus protection and extended hire car cover (with Admiral).

I've got 8 years NCB and no points.

I renewed back in August for £580. I'm 25 with.. erm.. 7? years NCB. I live in a 'C'-rated postcode area.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Thanks - looks like I'm in a "C" area too.

Direct Line want £922 for the equivalent insurance (via their website). Is calling around better to do?

By the sounds of it though my original renewal quote is looking alright.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Probably at least a year or two....maybe more, depending on how the finances work out. Did 7k miles last year in my 1.6 Focus so not big miles.

Well if you're not planning on keeping it long you probably don't want to pay the premium for a low mileage facelift like I did because you'll lose more in depreciation when you sell it on again.

BUT you're also saving around £700 a year in fuel by not having the ST220 (more if you consider how much fuel costs have gone up since last year) so you should have no problem saving up for a nice low mileage facelift if you wanted to.

For £3k it's gonna be a high mileage facelift at best and probably not in the best condition. I'd wait until you've got closer to £4k saved up unless it really is a temporary thing.

Back
Top Bottom