Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Soldato
OP
The bulbs are wonderfully easy to change. Remove the grille, pull out two retaining pins for the light cluster, remove cluster. Makes a mockery of more complicated cars :)

Soldato
Little bit jealous of my Dad, he called me to let me know he's picking up a MK4 Titanium X Sport (2.5T) at the weekend, and he's having it Bluefin'd too! :(

I was having a look last night and they are getting very cheap these days. Found one for 7k that had a fair bit of kit including sat nav. Most are the non sport though which don't look anywhere as good as the txs. How much did he get it for?

Associate
Howard, do you miss your mx5 or are you content enough with the ST?

Reason I ask is that my mx5 has been diagnosed with 'excessive rust' to the chassis meaning that the most realistic option is that I will have to change cars within the next year or so. I did have a thought in the back of my mind that I would never get rid of my mx5 it's been so dam good and it's only NA as well.

I often thought of an ST220, I think they are great cars but my concern is that it won't feel special enough and I'm not sure if it is a car that will make me want to keep it forever like the mx5 did. Quandaries.

Soldato
OP
Howard, do you miss your mx5 or are you content enough with the ST?

Reason I ask is that my mx5 has been diagnosed with 'excessive rust' to the chassis meaning that the most realistic option is that I will have to change cars within the next year or so. I did have a thought in the back of my mind that I would never get rid of my mx5 it's been so dam good and it's only NA as well.

I often thought of an ST220, I think they are great cars but my concern is that it won't feel special enough and I'm not sure if it is a car that will make me want to keep it forever like the mx5 did. Quandaries.

I don't rue the day that I sold the MX5. However, I do miss the sort of fun that kind of car offers! Recently I have been contemplating swapping the Mondeo for something a bit more fun-oriented, i.e. some kind of hot hatch. I decided however that there are too many compromises considering my usage. I decided that the Mondeo is a fantastic all-round car and if you want to hoon it along some twisty back roads, it is more than capable. I think in a way it does feel special - it looks good on the outside, plenty of leather and kit inside, big V6 under the bonnet with a lovely engine note. I have no intention of selling it any time soon unless I magically come into enough money to swap to something better.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
How about getting something like an MX5 and keeping the ST220 too? Stick them on a multi-car policy and there may be fuel savings as well to offset some of the other added costs.

Soldato
Makhaira, I use Ford-spec Castrol Magnatec 5W30. The dealers use Shell Helix IIRC

Just thought I'd post back for posterity - I went with Shell Helix HX7 AF 5w30, and I've got to say that the engine feels beautifully smooth now. I know part of that will be because it's fresh oil, but even so, it definitely feels "nice".

On another note, I thought I'd bring a pub debate into the thread. Chatting with a mate the other night about cars and they asked what I'd look to move on to once I've run my current '04 plate ST220 into the ground. I'm really not all that sure what a next step would be in my car "life". BMW 335? 350z? Let the pub discussion begin!!

Soldato
OP
If I was to 'upgrade' now it would be to something like a 350Z or maybe an Audi S4. It's a tricky one though, depends entirely on what you want from the car

Associate
I don't rue the day that I sold the MX5. However, I do miss the sort of fun that kind of car offers! Recently I have been contemplating swapping the Mondeo for something a bit more fun-oriented, i.e. some kind of hot hatch. I decided however that there are too many compromises considering my usage. I decided that the Mondeo is a fantastic all-round car and if you want to hoon it along some twisty back roads, it is more than capable. I think in a way it does feel special - it looks good on the outside, plenty of leather and kit inside, big V6 under the bonnet with a lovely engine note. I have no intention of selling it any time soon unless I magically come into enough money to swap to something better.

Had the top down earlier today for a quick blast, I'm really going to have to think hard about my next car, I love the st220 and it would be handy to have something a little more practical and that v6 /cloud9! :cool:

How about getting something like an MX5 and keeping the ST220 too? Stick them on a multi-car policy and there may be fuel savings as well to offset some of the other added costs.

I did think about keeping the 5 and putting it in the garage until I can justify spending the money to sort out the chassis. But realistically I cannot afford to pamper two cars and I can see it becoming a bit of a nuisance if sorn.

Associate
Has anyone changed the bulbs on their dashboard before? I think one of the bulb behind the rev counter has blown, but not sure whether there is two behind it or one as only half of the dial looks lit.

Soldato
What tyres you guys using?

I've got Falken 452's on the front at the min but not all that impressed by their performance in the wet, seem a bit softer than the Bridgestone RE050A they replaced.

Need to change them and found the Bridgestones for £110 fitted but was wondering what other ones to check out, ideally a bit cheaper :D

Back
Top Bottom