Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Associate
Anyone here fitted the JP Exhaust to their ST220?

They got 15% off atm until Thursday so am tempted to replace my rusting OEM one.

I had oner on my ST220, superbly made, fitted perfectly and sounded sublime. It really did make the car sound like a touring car, quite throaty, no drone, best of all it looked standard. Really wish I could have kept the car.

Would not hesitate to recommend it, I do have a few videos somewhere. One of the test car the exhaust was fitted to and one I did myself. I'll try and find them bit can't promise anything! :)

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Other than strapping on a pair of turbos like the Noble, what's the story with tuning the ST220? Much gains to be had with an exhaust, remap, and induction kit?
From what people seem to say, there aren't any major gains that can be done easily. I think the biggest mod is swapping out the 3.0l engine for the 3.7l which is apparently a relatively straight (but expensive) swap.

I had oner on my ST220, superbly made, fitted perfectly and sounded sublime. It really did make the car sound like a touring car, quite throaty, no drone, best of all it looked standard. Really wish I could have kept the car.

Would not hesitate to recommend it, I do have a few videos somewhere. One of the test car the exhaust was fitted to and one I did myself. I'll try and find them bit can't promise anything! :)
Thanks for the description.

Apparently this is a vid of the JP exhaust:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jaLARZoTzE

Associate
What's the average mileage out of the clutch ?

So by the sounds of it you should go for a 2004+ model.
I am going to be buying one of the 3.0 v6 saloons.
I do like the blue colour :)

Soldato
OP
Other than strapping on a pair of turbos like the Noble, what's the story with tuning the ST220? Much gains to be had with an exhaust, remap, and induction kit?

Those three things typically seem to gain people 15-20bhp on dynos. So there is a little bit of scope especially as the remapping removes the torque limit in lower gears. I'm tempted by a Pumaspeed unit but am a bit skeptical. Other than these though, the usual natural aspiration constraints apply really.

What's the average mileage out of the clutch ?

As with any car it depends how it's been driven. I had mine replaced under warranty shortly after I bought the car at about 55k miles because it was dragging but I don't see why they can't last 100k+

Last edited:
Associate
Those three things typically seem to gain people 15-20bhp on dynos. So there is a little bit of scope especially as the remapping removes the torque limit in lower gears. I'm tempted by a Pumaspeed unit but am a bit skeptical.

The Pumaspeed unit is supposed to be very good, in fact better than a Bluefin, and the good thing is if you sell your car you should be able to revert back to the old map if you need to and also sell the unit, as opposed to a remap where you can't.

Associate

Although this wouldn't increase bhp - something I noticed from Howard's ST220 is how noticeable the limiter is in 1st and 2nd. When you change to third it seems like a whole different car. Removing the limiter seems like it would be a worthwhile change. (This is coming from a non-owner however)

Soldato
OP
It's more noticeable in 1st but still pulls hard, it accelerates very well in 2nd and 3rd, obviously in higher gears the lack of horsepower comes into play :p

Soldato
Not strictly ST220 related but are there common places on the Mk3 (pre-facelift if it makes any difference) for water ingress to be likely?

My Grandfathers car is a bit damp and soggy inside but I'm yet to investigate.

Thanks.

Soldato
OP
I had a slight water ingress into the rear footwell - took the door card off and saw the waterproof membrane had a bit of a hole/gap in the seal which was letting water in. Sealed it up with some mastic and job's a good'un.

Soldato
I dont usually post but I thought i'd share details of my st220.

I own a panther black 220 on 03 plate, Since owning i've donw loads of mods, It was completely standard when purchased.

Firstly I got the door bottoms treated and respray because they were showing signs of a little bit of rust.

Next up was to get the wheels refurbed in anthracite (powdercoated). Then it went in for a catback powerflow exhaust which sounds lovely, all for £400 fitted. Then it was remove the standard airbox and replce with the k&n 57i induction kit with 2 cold air feeds. After that I had it lowered on eibach springs.

More recently I've had mistubishi gto 4pot brakes with custom brackets and focus st 320mm discs along with 16mm wheel spacers all round. Stops a million times better and way cheaper than the ASBO setup everybody does.

Lastly i've just had de-cat pipes fitted and what an absolute ballache it was to do! but worth it for the noise alone!

Ill get some pic up soon if anybodies interested :)

Soldato
I'd be interested in more details on the brakes mod please.

Also, apart from the emissions side of things, what are the advantages of the catback exhaust, since pricewise it seems about the same as a full decat?

Back
Top Bottom