Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Soldato
The decats are bolted to the manifolds, The decat pipes I got are from toyosports. They had to be modified as the lambda boss was fowling on the alternator and they dont meet up with the rest of the exhaust properly so a lot of cutting and welding was involved. You also need a friendly mot tester afterwards :)

You could get the full decat manifold for the mk2 v6 but im guessing this would also require a lot of modification.

I got the decat pipes for £80 and fitting was about £200 as theres a lot of work involved!

The brakes were pretty simple, The mitsubishi gto calipers come in 2 forms, ones that take 297mm discs and the other takes 320mm discs i think as standard. Doesnt matter which ones u get they just require different brackets as the mounting holes are different. The guy that does the brackets is on mondeostoc.com. You need at least 10mm spacers with the standard st220 wheels as the calipers dont clear the wheel. The focus st discs just go straight on no messing :)

Imy

Imy

Soldato
I've been on the lookout for ASBO calipers for ages now but when they do come up for sale the price is usually too high and on the forums they get snapped up in minutes.

Your setup actually sounds better as the ASBOs are still only a single piston. To someone who knows sod all on the subject - what do the spacers do exactly?

Are the brackets for making an otherwise incompatible caliper compatible?

Soldato
Your setup actually sounds better as the ASBOs are still only a single piston. To someone who knows sod all on the subject - what do the spacers do exactly?

Are the brackets for making an otherwise incompatible caliper compatible?

yea these mitsubishi ones are 4 piston and they stop really well! The spacers fit on the hub, pushing the wheel away from the hub so the caliper doesnt catch the wheel. Never get universal spacers tho, always get the correct hubcentric ones with longer studs or eibach and H&R do ones that fit on to the original wheel studs but they are mega expensive.

Yea the brackets are, like you say, making an incompatible caliper compatible. With these calipers I believe you can use the original brake hoses, although I have braided hoses all round so not sure.

crappy picture of the calipers:

Last edited:

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Expensive month for my ST220...

£20 ECU diagnostic
£38 breather pipe
£520 on exhaust + fitting
£195 service + MOT
£295 xenons (OEM)
£270 tax coming up shortly
and getting braided hoses fitted too this weekend

The brakes gonna have to wait a bit longer :(

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Yes, rear right of the engine. It has to be changed by feel pretty much by reaching underneath from the front side of the engine.

Pic of the one that was replaced:

st220_split_breather_pipe.jpg

As you can see a nasty split down the middle.

Had a look at my invoice and wasn't sure which bit was the part number so I've scanned it in for you:

http://www.2sexeh.com/pics/car/st220_breather_pipe_invoice.pdf

Slightly cheaper than what I remembered it to be.

Last edited:
Permabanned
What mileage are you guys getting out of your tyres ?

Hit a pothole the other day and had to replace a tyre, at 6 months old and approx 7 -8000 miles it was down to 4mm.

as are the rest of my tyres.

I expected to get a little more than 15000 from a set of decent rubber.
I have pilot sport 3 on all 4 corners by the way.

Soldato
What mileage are you guys getting out of your tyres ?

Hit a pothole the other day and had to replace a tyre, at 6 months old and approx 7 -8000 miles it was down to 4mm.

as are the rest of my tyres.

I expected to get a little more than 15000 from a set of decent rubber.
I have pilot sport 3 on all 4 corners by the way.

10-15k depending on the tyres. I had about 10 from my CS3's, and I reckon my AS2's are going to do 15k looking at them.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
JP exhaust fitted this morning. You get a pleasing grumble when you initially start the car up then it settles into silence at idle right away. There's a nice but subtle deep grumble between 1k-2k revs but then starts to sound more like the OEM one after that. Blip it and you can get a nice but subtle crackle and pop at the top-end but not always. I'm told I can expect it to get a bit more deeper as the carbon builds up over the next 6 months.

While cruising it sounds pretty much identical to OEM. Overall it's not chavvy at all and still a fair bit on the tame side but I'm hoping that improves over time.

Soldato
OP
I saw an in-car video someone posted on PH of their JP exhaust and it didn't sound a lot different to stock when he floored it. I thought it'd emit a nice racey 6cyl rasp which is what I'd want but it seems your choice with these cars is either OEM sound or a deep boomy farty sound from other (non-JP) exhausts.. :p

Back
Top Bottom