Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Associate
Don't worry too much about the stereo - it's not that great anyway (both in sound and features). Spend £300 or so on a nice new double-din with bluetooth support. Maybe could get the garage to contribute a bit towards it.

Can you suggest any for around the £250-£300 mark? Been quite a while since I have bought a car stereo so am a little out of touch. The only thing is, if I fit an aftermarket head unit the controls on the stem by the steering wheel wont work, will they?

The dealership (Polar Ford) are supposed to be phoning me tomorrow to see if all is okay with the car, so I can see what they suggest when they call.

Soldato
OP
How on earth is that my fault?! :p

Can you suggest any for around the £250-£300 mark? Been quite a while since I have bought a car stereo so am a little out of touch. The only thing is, if I fit an aftermarket head unit the controls on the stem by the steering wheel wont work, will they?

They certainly will if you buy the right wiring adaptor. :)

I'd also recommend just ditching the Sony unit, it sounds like arse. I'm not sure how well a double-DIN unit fits without faffing around though. Imy have you actually fitted one? I can't remember where our recent discussion on the subject led us!

Associate
No, don't think I have ever fitted a double-din. I have fitted plenty of single din units, albeit a long time ago now. Even swapped the wife's double din in her van for a single din with the fascia adaptor thing. But, don't want to go down that route with this.

We have a car audio shop not far from me, don't really know what they are like tbh, but might be worth a pop in there and speak to them. Will wait til the garage calls me tomorrow and see what they suggest first though.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
I haven't fitted one myself yet no. I think from our last discussion I decided I would replace it but not until I got my new phone around Sep/Oct so I can determine what level of compatibility I would get.

I'll see if I can dig out examples of other people doing it...

As for the units themselves, have a look at the 2013 Pioneer range Dave. Avoid the one that is purely an App station thing for the iPhone though.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Last edited:

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Tyres are now at 37-35 due to shredding a tyre on my drive.
How you manage that?!

I've been running 40-35 for the last few weeks. Am reserving final judgement for the moment but so far not experienced any understeer like I sometimes did before and economy is way up from avg. 21mpg to avg. 24mpg but we have just had clear roads due to Easter holidays.

I'll check my tyres in a couple weeks to see what effect it has had on the uneven tyre wear I had before.

Soldato
IMG_1895_zps3be20d81.jpg

IMG_1896_zps808b8fb5.jpg

Caught it on that when going off the drive. Didnt realise till i dropped the kid off at school that i had a flat due to the snow on the roads.

Now gave it a good hiding with a hammer :)

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Impressive damage from such an innocent looking kerb! I'm guessing you drove along the edge of it rather than just over the top for it to slice the tyre open like that?

Soldato
OP
I've been running 40-35 for the last few weeks. ...... but so far not experienced any understeer like I sometimes did before and economy is way up from avg. 21mpg to avg. 24mpg

:)

Anyone bringing theirs to the RR on Saturday? Would be good to park all the Mondeos and Focuses (Focii?) together :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Running 40-38 (F-R) in mine with no handling differences and about +2mpg on the trip computer. Just waiting for a fill up on Sat morning for the RR day to see what the measured MPG is (usually 5-6mpg more than Trip Comp says) as I'm doing 45mpg normally.

Soldato
Impressive damage from such an innocent looking kerb! I'm guessing you drove along the edge of it rather than just over the top for it to slice the tyre open like that?

Yeah, right on the edge of it. With the Mondeo having a heavy V6 up front along with high PSI in the tyres, it was bounds to happen some day soon.

I have now hammerd down the edges and made them smoother.

Quick image of my drive to make it clearer how i caught it... Bit messy, need to sweep the stones up and a bit wet as i have just had to hose all the bird crap off the car after parking under a tree earlier.....

14DE856C-E0B7-431B-BFDD-8C11BF9408FC-4976-000004842DE26FB3_zps6b544fa9.jpg

Associate
Have got a rear bearing on my Mk3 on it's way out and wondered if anyone knew why there were 2 different kits on EuroCarParts? One is about £73 and the other £120. Pictures look the same except for the addition of torx bolts on the more expensive one but surely they can only be a few quid?

Soldato
Ring ECP in the morning and they will tell you. Their site lacks a lot of information.

On another note, as anyone here ever changed there gearbox oil? If so what do you recommend?

Soldato
OP
How much are the Ford bearing kits? I'd go for those over pattern parts if they're not horrendously priced.

Rybo I plan on doing my gearbox oil at some point, looks a bit of a faff though lol. Standard 75sae90 or whatever Ford spec oil rings a bell but not entirely sure. I just know you have to crow bar the engine to move it on its mounts apparently, to get to the filler plug :p

Back
Top Bottom