Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Associate
I have a ST200 but tbh its seen better days. Its done 126k miles and the wife scraped the bumper the other day.

Its also got general ware and tear now due to it being rather old.

I have seen some lovely looking ones driving around my area as well makes me sad mines in poor condition :(

body work wise it needs some love but no £ to sort it

Soldato
Started the car on cold start today and it was fine, just a little lumpy but not as bad as yesterday. Have done my first long distance journey and the car was perfect. I do think the DMF will need changing at some point in the future but the symptoms are not strong.

Oh and the torque in 3rd gear from 2k+ :D. Such a relaxing car.

Soldato
You'll be scaring Vita with posts like that :p

Have to say, 75k in 7.5 years is very low mileage to warrant a diesel.

I did 25k in the first year, about 15k the second year I had the car, then I stopped commuting and my annual mileage dropped to under 8k thereafter. The car rarely moved during the week but I tend to do long trips at the weekend.

I owned it outright and said I'd bin it when I thought it was going to drop big bills. I always enjoyed driving it and there wasn't really anything I fancied changing it for that I felt would justify the many thousands it would have cost to change.

I reckon I averaged 45mpg from it, I'd have got 30mpg from a 2.0 petrol so its saved me 3800 litres of fuel over the time I've had it. I don't believe I've incurred any costs relating to the fact it is a diesel.

Soldato
Still undecided whether to buy new disks and pads for the front whilst i have them off. ECP do a 300mm and a 320mm front disks and pads. Guessing the 320mm might be for the Focus ST brake upgrade? Surely the 320mm cannot fit in the stock caliper?

Also what colour do people think i should do my calipers? Red, Yellow, Silver, Blue etc?

Soldato
Black or silver calipers, anything else is too showy and stock brakes on these arent worth highlighting

I tend to err towards black calipers, silver ones end up looking a bit brown with dust and road grime after a short while. Black stays smart for longer.

Soldato
Did them blue.

Shame the wheels look dank though, should really get them refurbished... Never got round to doing anything on the list of things to do from when i bought the car lol

Soldato
Seems like my exhaust isn't standard. It points down at the end with the tailpipe welded at the end to be straight. Must have got replaced at one point but it's nice and quiet which I don't mind. Looks stupid though as if you look straight on from the back it looks like the exhaust has a hole in it. Should I replace it with a standard/something better? Or leave it as it is. I'm not really bugged by it.

I also have done 500 miles in it now since I had it. It returned 55mpg on the 450 mile trip I did. I put in £15 @ 1.399 diesel at shell and it's given just over a 100 miles on my daily commute. Not bad. I think the tensioners need doing as I have a little chirp when I turn ignition off. Other then that, the morning rough idle is random, some days it occurs, others it does not. A person did say to me that it's the idler pulley, he had a ST TDCI before.

Worth remapping or not? The performance and torque is more then enough at the moment but wouldn't mind warp speed torque.

Other then that, it's a comfy cruiser and I'm enjoying every minute so far.

Also noticed a scrape on the front bumper which I never noticed before. Great!

Soldato
I wouldn't remap it, you'll only wear out the clutch and DMF quicker and wipe out all the savings you made by choosing a diesel

Fair enough, kind of thought the same it's plenty enough as it is to be honest.

With the exhaust it turns out on the ST TDCI they're all like that. I may opt for a Stainless custom one at some point.

Associate
What oil do people tend to use for changes? Spotted 4L of Magnatec for £20 and wondered if this was a good buy. Is there any issue running the petrol engines on fully synthetic?

Soldato
Is it only the Focus ST brakes that fit the Mondeo? No bigger affordable ones?

I reckon I can get hold of some calipers for £100 but I think the Focus ST disks will even look diddy on the car.

Back
Top Bottom