Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Soldato
The ST brakes tend to go for silly money these days - with the level of popularity it is they often fetch the best part of £300 now. Given that there's nothing wrong with the ST220 brakes, they're just less assisted than most other cars, I'd personally say you're best saving your cash.

Soldato
OP
The ST brakes tend to go for silly money these days - with the level of popularity it is they often fetch the best part of £300 now. Given that there's nothing wrong with the ST220 brakes, they're just less assisted than most other cars, I'd personally say you're best saving your cash.

Agreed.

The only reason I'd contemplate bigger brakes is purely in the name of appearance and vanity. :D

Soldato
OP
But it's something I'd consider if I could pick up some calipers and carriers for £100 or something, not £150 for the carriers and a further £2398572345 for the calipers that seems to be the going rate :p

My dad drove my car at the weekend (when I was trying to find the rattle), and his initial comment was "these brakes feel a bit funny". I then said "drive it normally, then stop quite hard". So he did. "Oh yes, fair enough" was his response! He was just used to the rather sharp brakes in his Honda.

Last edited:
Permabanned

I was under this impression as well, however went for a slightly "spirited" drive 2 days ago and Iit took no longer than 5 minutes and I had the brakes smelling.
Still plenty of bite but I don't like that smell :(

Soldato
OP
Randomly came across an old thread I made on stdrivers.co.uk and wasn't sure if I posted my ambient / submarine lighting here!

The newer Mondeos have it, as do many BMWs, Mercedes' etc so I thought I'd copy.

End result looks like this in the dark. Front photos were taken before I added front footwell lights:

ambient1.jpg

ambient3.jpg

It's not intrusive in the slightest but that's the closest I could get the photos to represent it.

ambient2.jpg

And if anyone cares how I did it:

Make holes in ceiling light cluster:

ambient1.jpg

Wire up 10mm orange LED:

ambient2.jpg

ambient3.jpg

In action:

ambient5.jpg

Ran wire from roof down to the cigarette lighter illumination terminals as they light up when the headlights are on, which is how I wanted this to be powered.

ambient6.jpg

I love how it looks at night and means the interior doesn't contrast too much against the light outside the vehicle. The orange LEDs are dim enough to not be intrusive in the slightest.

I used 8 5mm LEDs for the footwells, two for each footwell.

Some people might not fancy it but hey ho. :)

Last edited:

Imy

Imy

Soldato
I really like that Howard. I would personally probs skip the overhead light but am interested in doing the footwell ones. It'll be blue for me though :)

I think one of your image tags is broke.

Soldato
OP
Whoops. Fixed!

I really like how it bathes the console etc in a slight orange glow, and I chose orange because of how closely it matches the exterior 'colour temperature' of street lighting and other outside ambient lighting in the dark. It doesn't reflect off the windows or anything like that.

It's particularly nice in the back because otherwise there's just a black 'void' in the back footwells when its dark, and any passengers I've had in the back at night seem to like it!

Soldato
I want those lights too. Unfortunately you can't simply fit an e46 dome light into a 36. The 46 one is very subtle, you can't see the source of the light unless you really look for it, wouldn't want a really obvious glow up on the roof.

Soldato
Hmmm might not be me being paranoid afterall...

Now heres one that should apply :D

The ticking at idle problem, a few owners have noticed a pronounced ticking from the top of the 3lt duratec (not to be confused with the injectors, which do make a faint tick/tap noise). After a bit of reaserch from others more in the know than me a tsb was found relating to the 3lt in the Mavrick (same engine im told, bar the modifications to the 220 version) which seems to remedy this ticking noise.

So heres the tsb if anyone ever needs it

C6B42616-B829-4B60-B709-ACC8B0432763-7060-0000068417A8BEC7_zps9c5aaaa0.jpg

DCE60B64-644D-444C-AA3C-5F7CBA3CD4F9-7060-000006841C982B40_zps3402156b.jpg

Well that looks like a job for when i come off my holiday....

Soldato
OP
Sound clips aren't always accurate but that doesn't sound right. If it was slightly lower-pitched I'd suggest you've got bearing issues..

Also sounds like you have an air leak somewhere or a noisy tensioner/pulley.

Soldato
Yeah i think you are right.

Seem i am getting a few things all at once... The noise i get when going up a gear could be the DMF conking... Starter motor can squeal for a second when i start up the car in the morning to.

The joys.

Back
Top Bottom