Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Soldato
OP
Knocking from the rear is likely to be subframe bushes or anti-roll bar drop-links, too. And if it's a prefacelift (not that you should really be buying one when 53 plate onward ones are so cheap now) then check for rusty door bottoms.

Soldato
Think my impatient self of sealing and bolting the exhaust on and going straight out bombing it down bypass may not of been the best idea.

should have left the sealant to harden up properly. Went underneath today and the exhaust was leaking slightly from 3 parts :D

Now sorted.

Spotted where the exhaust was tapping to so that's sorted.

Also, the big wheel on the drive belt, that has some right play in it. This normal? Surely not.

Soldato
Aside from the usual stuff you'd check on any 2nd hand car, I can think of:
  • Sagging rear bumper (some pics in this thread)
  • Limited movement of passenger electric mirror
  • Seat electrics - check movement in all 8 directions
  • Seat heating - can be too hot or too cold but fairly normal for there not to be much difference between the 5 settings
I'd rate the build quality as a bit better than average. The things that are likely to break prematurely are relatively cheap to fix.

The problem with the fuel economy is that while yes you can get 35mpg indicated while on cruise @ 70mph, if you measure the entire trip at the pump it's more like ~30mpg. Add to that if you get bored and decide to go a bit quicker you're talking ~28mpg for a motorway trip.

Relevant poll: http://www.stdrivers.co.uk/forum/topic/22750-st220-average-mpg-poll/

Thanks for the info here. Might go take a look at a couple in the very near future.

Soldato
Think my impatient self of sealing and bolting the exhaust on and going straight out bombing it down bypass may not of been the best idea.

should have left the sealant to harden up properly. Went underneath today and the exhaust was leaking slightly from 3 parts :D

Now sorted.

Spotted where the exhaust was tapping to so that's sorted.

Also, the big wheel on the drive belt, that has some right play in it. This normal? Surely not.

On the aux drive belt? Not normal, but very common. That's the crank pulley and often wears, it's part and parcel of the vibration you get from the crank pulley, auto belt tensioner and idler pulleys (if you read back a bit you'll find I've been looking into this very thing).

Soldato
Yeah:

jbBUyDw.jpg

I can move it in and out and wobble it about and can see it wobbling when the engine is running. Guessing this is the metallic noise i can hear.

Been back through the history and the previous own had the spark plugs changed every year. Last spark plugs was changed at the end of 2012. What i noticed though is that this PERRY's garage over 2008-2009-2010-2011 use all the same spark plugs but in 2012 they have used 4 with the same product code and 2 with another product code? Odd eh?

Also, just realised after putting the camshaft engine diagram over my engine that i am looking completely in the wrong place. The UIM side cover does not have to be removed as that is the wrong side of the engine to be working on. That would have been **** take, removing the UIM and all the things around it to find out i am working on the wrong bit :p

Borrowed a torque wrench capable of 8NM.

Shame it looks like it will be hammering it down all day today......

Soldato
I bought a small torque wrench specifically for smaller jobs, my big one starts at 28nm so I bought one that is 5-28nm (or thereabouts). Proven to be very useful so far :)

Soldato
Time to sell my ST220 :(

Changed jobs and work has given me an ecobox due to the amount of driving involved.

I can't put across enough just how much I miss the power from the V6, the diesel lump in the astra is atrocious. I've been caught out on a few roundabouts as the car just won't move!

Anyway, can't afford to keep both (I have no room to park it even if I did) so will be selling it soon.

Need to look at prices, it's a 54 plate on 126k. Engine is sound but does need some cosmetic work (original alloys have corroded badly).

Fully kitted out with Xenons and Sat Nav, performance blue with grey leather interior.

Will have to keep an eye on autotrader / PH / ebay to see what sort of prices they go for.

Be a real shame to see it go though, the effortless power and comfort is sorely missed!

Last edited:
Soldato
Also consider what you might get for breaking it MonkeyMan - seems to becoming more common (Just look on stdrivers) since a lot of the parts can pull back most of the value - all depends what work needs doing on it overall whether you're betting moving it as a car or parts.

I'm one of the vultures hanging around to tart mine up a bit :p.

Soldato
I serviced my car today. Car took about 6ltrs of oil, though only about 5 came out.

Been tackling the noises.Even ended up taking the catback exhaust back off so i could get to the flexi's properly as i think they are giving a annoying rattle between 2-3k revs. Think i need some stronger stiffer and smaller rubber mounts to keep the exhaust more still aswell.

Stopped now as i have gave my self neck ache. Also just 10minutes ago remembered F1 quali was today so shower, subway and F1 to sort my night out.

Soldato
OP
Don't break the car for parts Monkeyman, that's a daft idea if it's in otherwise good condition apart from a few cosmetic bits, shame on you for suggesting it Makhaira! Imagine how much ballache it'll be too.

It sounds like it's in good fettle other than a few cosmetic bits so maybe sort those out and then put it up for "top money" if you're not in a massive hurry to sell? Sounds like a lovely colour combo with a desirable spec and the number of honest good condition cars available to buy is slowly dwindling, I'm sure.

Soldato
Seems it is a very common problem for the flexi's to start rattling between 2-3k revs after some years. Guess me putting the new exhaust on didn't help them.

The fix is to put 3 jubilee clips around the perpetrator flexi. one each end and one in the middle.

Looks like Screwfix is the cheapest place to grab a few from so will grab some when they open at 10. :)

Soldato
OP
Hmm, will bear that in mind if I start receiving similar symptoms! I had the same thing happen with a heat shield on my MX5 so I just bent it back with a big screwdriver :p

There's always been lots of "room" around my exhaust even if I wobble it and it shows lots of play on the mounts, so I'm sure the new one is designed well enough not to knock against the car :)

Soldato
I was rattling it about and getting a lot of noise coming from the flexi area. So decided to disconnect the catback and shine a light down the flexi's, see if there was rot or anything in there but they was fine. Noticed the drivers side flexi had a bit of play in, so i think that is the problem.

You only get the noise when going up hill between 2-3k revs in any gear. Can definitely tell it is coming from the exhaust though.

Soldato
Sorted the flexi rattle out. Took 5 attempts of placing the jubilee clips in different places and taking the car out, Last attempt i decided to put a jubilee clip around the closest exhaust mount rubber and tighten it up and left 2 jubilee clips on a flexi and it finally sort that noise out.

Then onto the annoying ticking sound:

WLjiHbw.jpg

Everything was in mint condition, no scoring on the caps or cams at all, looked brand new. Re-sat all the caps and torqued them back up.

Still got the annoying tick....

Will strip the whole engine if i have to. My neighbours think i am bonkers, no one can hear the noise except me lol.

Taking the kids away tomorrow for week so it will be getting done next week. We will get to the bottom of it!

Soldato
No as the noise was not there when i first got the car. I can hear the injectors aswell as the ticking noise, so that rules the injectors out.

Any reason a over loud ticking noise might come from the UIM? Sounds like it is coming from that area, somewhere top of the engine so the UIM and the other rocker cover will be coming off for an inspection.

Yeah the old centre caps will get you a decent sum back. Some of them 29 watchers will most likely be OcUK members being nosey. Mount of watchers always seems to go up when you mention something on here lol.

Will be doing about 450miles over the next few days so we will see what MPG i can achieve. I guessing overall 28MPG if i try drive like a granny.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
You guys are making me paranoid about noises in the car.

MonkeyMan: If the xenons were retrofitted I'd remove and sell them and put the original halogens back in, otherwise sell it as it is if it's in working condition.

Back
Top Bottom