Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Soldato
OP
Nope no time really :( If it was a couple of months ago and didn't get dark til 10pm I'd have cracked on this evening. I can wait. I think. ;)

One question for you: Did your Miltek come with a gasket for the flexipipe joint? JP only provided three for the joins in the actual system, not a further two for the front joint - I presume because it isn't needed and doesn't have one as standard

Soldato
No the Milltek didn't come with any.It has some on as standard though. Aslong as they have not rotted, which they shouldn't have, you can just go over them with a bit of sandpaper and re-use them.

JP's system is different with the joining sections, is the JP heavier than standard?

Hope they have left you with 4 bolts to connect to the flexi's.

Soldato
Ill be honest with you though mate, my car was doing my head it after a big drive. Exhaust was droning all way home today.

I averaged 27.6MPG over 320miles. Think it should have been 28-29MPG but i got a bit carried away on some country roads when i went out for a spin on my own. :D

Soldato
OP
Pfft, should be well into the 30s ;) I expect mine will drop markedly once the exhaust is on though, haha.

Is yours that bad then? The JP purportedly makes no extra noise when cruising.

Oh and I got £34.12 for my old centre caps, lol.

Soldato
Today it was yeah. Had to put music on a bit louder than usual.

Sounded awesome going through the towns though :cool:

They are mad on eBay, can remember putting on £500 of Virgin vouchers that i got for free and got £495 for them. :D

Imy

Imy

Soldato
The way you're describing the Miltek Rybo it seems to be quite different to the JP.

Not saying you do this every time but Howard, when you first do a cold start with the JP, do it without touching any pedals.

Also while still cold, give it a quick blip to 7k then foot off completely - should give a nice burble on the way down.

And that's about it for noise - it's like OEM mostly after 2.5k revs or so.

Soldato
Yeah the Milltek have a nice burble when idle, 2.5k you get the Milltek rasp after 3.5k not much really.

Best thing about the exhaust is the pops when down shifting/engine braking.

Soldato
OP
Anyone want any bits of exhaust? :D

YlIl7J1.jpg

Well that was fun! Old exhaust came off fine, building the new one in-situ was fiddly but fine. No one told me, however, that there's an un-used hanger on the rear subframe which the new JP exhaust's rear-most section needed to attach to, so I had to go down to my local car shop and get an appropriate hanger. Had to put some exhaust paste around the joints as well to stop them blowing slightly...

Then I took it for a drive :cool:

The video isn't great, the poor little camera is drowned by wind noise, but you get the idea. The main points are that it is still very much refined, but with the addition of a lovely burble at lower RPMs when driving in stop start traffic around town, etc. This is wonderfully pleasing to me! At the higher rev range there's a more pronounced roar which again is very nice. It makes no more noise at highway speeds - it's quieter if anything!

Very happy with it all-in-all, it sounds like a car with a proper engine should sound, not just the whiny engine noise on part-throttle :)

66TVYKx.jpg

H2bMv7V.jpg

It fell off :eek:

9Hdx24Z.jpg

uvN6hqZ.jpg

All done. The light and shadows might make them look wonky but they're symmetrical IRL. As symmetrical as I could get them anyway :p

WJtxMQt.jpg

M4g95Rp.jpg

Edit: Better 'done' pics

Last edited:
Soldato
No one told me, however, that there's an un-used hanger on the rear subframe which the new JP exhaust's rear-most section needed to attach to, so I had to go down to my local car shop and get an appropriate hanger.

*cough*

You should only get 1 rubber with the JP, there is one mount in the middle next to the spare wheel that the old system doesn't use.

You enjoying it? You'll be wanting to just go for a drive even more now :)

Soldato
OP
Sorry... Missed that! Was your unused hanger crushed a bit, like mine was? Had to get the crowbar out. Not sure why it's there if the OEM system doesn't have it? 'one-size-fits-all-mk3-mondeos' subframe?!

I love it. Lovely noise. Refined yet.. Awesome. Definitely want to drive it more at the moment haha, off out with the GF and some of her friends later... "I'll pick you up, we can pick them up too!" :D

Soldato
Yeah that is what Ford as done. The guy who came in his bog standard Mondeo to fetch my old exhaust, i had a look under his car to let him know if it would be a easy fit and it was exactly the same layout as the ST220, even room for the second backbox. All he would have to do was to cut out a hole in his bumper.

Yeah it certainly compliments the V6. :cool:

Janesy, when are you buying a ST220?

Back
Top Bottom