Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Soldato
OP
I get ~20-22 around town depending on traffic and between 33 and 37 on a long run depending on traffic and how much overtaking is happening. That's sticking to 70mph. It's not that uneconomical for what it is. It's most likely faster than a stock S14.

Soldato
OP
The mondeo has more power, more torque, more displacement, faster 0-60, higher top speed speed and an about equal quarter mile time. The odds are in it's favour.

Soldato
Performance doesn't matter too much for my usage at the moment either way.

Biggest concern is finding an ST220 in as good nick as my current car, well as close to. Guess I'd be wanting one that has had a clutch and cambelt (assuming they have one) changed.

Are the V6 and ancillaries known to be reliable?

Soldato
OP
It's chain driven, so that's one less thing to worry about. They're reliable overall yes, but there have been a few reports of big end bearing failures - just keep the oil fresh and full :)

The MMT6 box is solid and the clutches and DMFs don't tend to fail prematurely.

Soldato
Average clutch/dmf life? I see that plugs are a bit of a pain to change.

I've recently splashed out a bit on the 200 so I'm not sure if it's the best time to sell? Guess there are two ways of looking at it.

Reckon I should be able to find a tidy one for under £4k?

Soldato
OP
Depends how it's been driven really. Clutch should last to 100k without abuse but depends on the driver.

Only you can say whether or not you wanna get rid of the 200 if you're not enjoying it or it isn't suitable any more.

How much power does yours have?

4k should get you a nice facelift (mid 2003 onwards) for sure.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
My fill-ups are so random:

j2ej.png

Lowest recorded fill-up: 17.81mpg

Highest: 30.31mpg

Last edited:

Imy

Imy

Soldato
My average over the last 6 months is 22mpg which is an improvement of just over 1mpg since I started to use higher tyre pressures.

That 19mpg fill-up was just me getting bored but the low fuel economy is mainly down to me rarely using motorways.

Permabanned
My average over the last 6 months is 22mpg which is an improvement of just over 1mpg since I started to use higher tyre pressures.

That 19mpg fill-up was just me getting bored but the low fuel economy is mainly down to me rarely using motorways.
I do ~35 mile round trip daily.
~10 miles of that is dual carriageway, with the rest being single carriageway A-Road, and about 2/3 miles of traffic

Back
Top Bottom