Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Soldato
Yes. His car wasn't very easy on the eye's to look at, for sure.

"So will this sound good on my car?"
"hmmmm.....Guess so?"

Couldn't really understand him to be honest, he just kept doing that nervous laugh every time he spoke. Still, he paid me £24 for a pile of scrap.

Soldato
Just found this:

David Dunlop From STDrivers said:
Thought i would post some pictures for anyone who wants to change the gearbox oil themselfs. This is for the 6 speed transmission on the Mondeo ST (MMT6)

1. First jack the car up level or use a ramp.

2.Remove the passenger side Wheel

3. Remove the 4 bolts holding the cover on
uozbBgD.jpg

4. Remove the Oil Filler plug (to make sure you can undo it before you drain the gearbox oil) 8mm Hex

H0xn6zX.jpg

5. Then you need to remove the undertray from the car.

The drain plug is very close to the subframe as you can see below

2VC3EY6.png

There is 2 options, you can either cut a normal allen key down to suit or use a small 8mm hex bit. Tho you will need to level the gearbox with either about 5mm to get either in place
rHaNHFY.jpg

6. Insert the allen key or hex bit into the drain plug while levering the engine and gearbox over slightly
ZP2qZya.jpg

HrHANa9.jpg

7. Allow the oil gearbox oil drain fully and insert the drain plug again.

8. Now you need to fill the gearbox up with oil. I used genuine ford oil part number 1045737. You will need to buy 2 1L bottles as the gearbox holds 1.75L of oil.
I used a draper oil pump to fill the gearbox.

9tUKic1.jpg

9. Once the fluid starts to come back out of the filler plug you know the level is correct. Let any extra fluid drain out until it stops

10. Insert the filler plug.

11. Reattach the undertray and wheel arch liner.

Hope this helps people

Can a mod make this pinned so people can find it easy please

Might do this, this week.

Soldato
OP
Lazy so and so :p

I will order some gearbox oil and do mine I think, it's done 99k and I'm sure it'll benefit from fresh oil! I have one of those pumps but the last time I tried to use it, it just leaked out everywhere, so it could be interesting..

Soldato
I have a cheapo brake bleeding kit, i can use that to get oil back into the gearbox with a bit of modifications.

Might take off the TB to and give that a good clean.

Also got a step by step to remove the starter motor and dismantle it to clean it up which i might even attempt. Does like to give a bit of a squeal on first start up.

Soldato
OP
Still a man of leisure during the week then? :p

Btw, no rattles of any sort from my engine when it's idling! I noticed at the weekend and thought of you :D

Mmm JP

Soldato
Can you tell? :p

What i need to do is just spot an st220 owner and tell him to compare engine noises to my engine. See if i am going crackers or not.

Anyone near Chesterfield in here?

Soldato
So, decided to get one of these. Any recommendations on stereo replacement? It's been a very long time since I've had to even care about sound system in a car tbh and I'm rather unsure what to go for. Sure Nav would be nice but its not essential so I'm even considering an adapter/fascia and a single din unit with a front USB port. Regarding phone connectivity, do any of the modern units do bluetooth phone for the audio and take some kind of input on the back for a strategically placed mic?

Soldato
OP
Yep that's how all the Bluetooth equipped units work :)

Pick something from Alpine or Pioneer that's in budget from www.caraudiosecurity.com and it'll be a big improvement over the stock Sony unit. I'd recommend a set of Focal IC570 speakers for the front doors too. They drop straight in and are an excellent quality replacement for the stock units.

Soldato
Yep that's how all the Bluetooth equipped units work :)

Pick something from Alpine or Pioneer that's in budget from www.caraudiosecurity.com and it'll be a big improvement over the stock Sony unit. I'd recommend a set of Focal IC570 speakers for the front doors too. They drop straight in and are an excellent quality replacement for the stock units.

Thanks Howard. So do you have a mic located somewhere (like near the drivers sun visor or something) ? Or are you doing things differently?

As for the double din fascia, did you just grab something off ebay or go for a genuine ford part? I'm most concerned about the finish matching with the rest of the centre console :D Does the quality differ much?

Soldato
OP
I used an Autoleads fascia adaptor and the finish is very much the same. Ive only got a single DIN init though.

I don't actually use Bluetooth in my car, no need for it :)

As long as you buy the right stalk adapters consisting of the control box and the "patch lead" for your stereo manufacturer, it'll work fine with the steering wheel controls.

Back
Top Bottom