Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Permabanned
Which one do you have again?

The suspension can be "crashy" on poor roads. I don't know what tram lining is sorry.

tram lining (from Wikipedia)

Tramlining is the tendency of a vehicle's wheels to follow the contours in the surface upon which it runs. The term comes from the tendency of a car's wheels to follow the normally recessed rails of street trams, without driver input in the same way that the train does. The same effect is sometimes called Nibbling.
Tramlining can usually be blamed on tires, and its incidence depends greatly on the model of tire and its state of wear. Although not normally dangerous, at very high speeds it can become a source of instability.
Vehicles with large and wide low profile tires are more prone to the effects as well as vehicles which have wheels fitted that are larger than the manufacturers recommendation or have reinforced sidewalls. People who are relatively inexperienced with driving with this tendency will feel that they have to make continual course corrections and it is very easy to overcompensate the steering, which could potentially lead to veering off the road especially if the road is a narrow track/country road.
The effects of tramlining can be eased by subjecting the vehicle to an inspection and calibration of the wheels (i.e. a full geometry check) or replacing the tires with non-reinforced (soft sidewall) tires.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Ta.

There's a nice chicane I like to go through quickly near where I live. If you get it wrong though you hit a low kerb which turns your steering wheel if you've not gripped it tight.

In normal driving I guess it does like to veer towards the drains a bit.

Soldato
I have some pretty horrid roads around here in the countryside so its probably not very fair of me, as it only happens on these poor roads. Also, the tyres arent some of the best, Avon's (? opinions). Might be a contributing factor.

Soldato
I've seen these tyres Yokohama Parada Spec 2 - 225/40 R18? Are these ok for road use or not? They look like track day tyres to me. Looking for tyres around the £110 mark.

Permabanned
I have up to now always fitted pilot sport 3s on mine.
Will give eagle F1 asymmetric a try in a few thousand miles when both my fronts are due.

The conti's seem to be a couple of quid cheaper than the michelin's how do the 3 compare in your experience (if you have used all 3 that is)

Last edited:
Soldato
I have up to now always fitted pilot sport 3s on mine.
Will give eagle F1 asymmetric in a few thousand miles when both my fronts are due.

The conti's seem to be a couple of quid cheaper than the michelin's how do the 3 compare in your experience (if you have used all 3 that is)

Mine are near enough the limit now. I've found them to be ok in grip, but they are too noisy for my liking which is my only gripe. Steering feels slightly heavy which I prefer, however they've lasted long. I would have them on my car again.

Soldato
Yeah these cars respond well to decent tyres :)

Whatcha bought? Pics?

QFRiErMl.jpg

2005 in Panther Black. Changes so far:

- Alpine CDE-W235BT fitted
- Aftermarket rear parking sensor kit
- New gear knob :)P old leather one was scratched to bits)

Need to:

- Replace front speakers
- Get some decent tyres, different brands on all four corners at the moment.
- Get wheels painted or restored.

Soldato
Very nice :) you like it?

I actually bought my Mondeo after my cousin bashing on to me about how good they are, even though he has never owned one.

Going from Jap to Ford, and my last car (Accord Type-R), I feel as a car package/value for money the Mondeo is a good buy. Heated seats/Electric Recaro's/Foldable Rear seats/Power folding mirrors, puddle lights/footwell lights etc..Really surprised me. I feel it's well made and a good looking car.

Mine does seem to turn heads since it's the poser blue colour, and I do get compliments on it. The only lacking thing is the performance, especially after coming from an ATR. With that said, as a motor-way cruiser the Ford is a decent car and tackles bends well when you want a bit of fun.

I really hope they make a ST in the new shape, I bet it would look great.

I have the Saloon model which I personally thinks looks miles better from behind then the hatchback.

Soldato
Agreed, much prefer the saloon personally. For me I do quite a lot of motorway miles, about 60% of my mileage is on the motorway. It really does perform very well as a cruiser (comfortable, performant enough and reasonably refined).

Soldato
Agreed, much prefer the saloon personally. For me I do quite a lot of motorway miles, about 60% of my mileage is on the motorway. It really does perform very well as a cruiser (comfortable, performant enough and reasonably refined).

Yours seems like a ST220?

I bought the derv. The derv has reliable as it may seem does have common issues which cost a few £££. It's ok for me, I always take it easy in my driving.

Back
Top Bottom