Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Soldato
Yours seems like a ST220?

I bought the derv. The derv has reliable as it may seem does have common issues which cost a few £££. It's ok for me, I always take it easy in my driving.

Yeah that's right, its the ST220. I've come from driving diesels for a fairly long time and its a nice change :)

Soldato
OP
I didn't realise yours was a saloon Vita. They look nice, but they're pretty similar to the hatch really. The estate looks the coolest imho :cool:

I'd love it if they made a new Mondeo ST but I'm not sure how many people would buy it, sadly.

Soldato
I didn't realise yours was a saloon Vita. They look nice, but they're pretty similar to the hatch really. The estate looks the coolest imho :cool:

I'd love it if they made a new Mondeo ST but I'm not sure how many people would buy it, sadly.

Judging by the new Focus ST, I bet it would sell like hotcakes if they gave it a good spec/value for money. They look like Astons now with the big gaping fish mouth.

Yeah I bought the Saloon as I can't stand the hatchback. Once I fix a few bodywork issues I'll get pictures posted up. My rear bumper is sagging so need to do the drill screw mod. Although I may be able to cheat and do something else using wall plugs, and then drill into it. ;)

Also have the Recaro Interior, but I don't find the seats comfortable at all for some reason. They're a little big for me. I like snug fit like my ATR had.

Estate doesn't look as good. I think the Saloon looks great, long front end, long rear end. I like cars with long front ends, I do not know why.

Road Tax next month, mot due next year. Might need to do pulley again, but it was changed last year so I'm questioning it.

Other then that, fuel has gone down, and it's been a great car, doubt I will get rid of it. Will attempt to clock 200k on it. Really want to remap it though, not too harsh but to give more grunt in mid range. Then again, I have my eye on a numberplate which I want too.

Great great cars imo.

Soldato
OP
Judging by the new Focus ST, I bet it would sell like hotcakes if they gave it a good spec/value for money.

The ST220 didn't really sell like hot cakes despite it being great value for money! The Focus and Fiesta did, I think people have less of an aversion to small hot hatches than 'tarted up repmobiles with a Ford badge'. Who knows.

Soldato
The ST220 didn't really sell like hot cakes despite it being great value for money! The Focus and Fiesta did, I think people have less of an aversion to small hot hatches than 'tarted up repmobiles with a Ford badge'. Who knows.

I think it was it's performance from a 3.0V6. It's not by all means that fast, and it's economy is not that great either. Maybe those factors swayed their decision. It's better looking out of the focus/fiesta.

Soldato
OP
It's the fastest ST they did at the time though, and it's a) pretty fast for a large FWD hatch and b) barely any less economical than most equivalent engines unless you've got one of the BMW Witchcraft engines that do 40+ on a run :p

Soldato
Everyone who has seen my car as gone "you went from a vxr to that...."

Everyone just see's it has a normal Mondeo and don't actually know anything them. Use to try educating them but I may as well have been talking to a brick wall.

X "it's just a Mondeo"
Y "Yes but it is a ST220"
X "still a Mondeo"
Y "a Focus ST is still just a Focus..."
X "No, that's different though"
Y "No it isn't..."

99% people are clueless about cars.

Soldato
It's the fastest ST they did at the time though, and it's a) pretty fast for a large FWD hatch and b) barely any less economical than most equivalent engines unless you've got one of the BMW Witchcraft engines that do 40+ on a run :p

I reckon if they lightened it by taking all the soundproofing out. Lightning the doors, it would be quicker. It's a great car by all means, but the economy just puts me off fast saloons now. I just don't see the point in this climate where food prices have shot up. If you can afford it then why not.

It's still a gamble even with a derv car, never know when something can go wrong.

Soldato
OP
But then it'd be a crap every-day car :p the whole point of it is to be a great all-rounder.

My view on fuel economy is that life is too short to start driving around in dull diesel powered vehicles unless you're doing 30,000 miles a year. And even then... ;)

Most non-car people who have seen mine have just been taken by the twin exhausts and leather seats :p It doesn't really turn heads, and I quite like that aspect. Although it does sound much, much nicer with the new exhaust :cool:

Soldato
What have folks done about refurbishment of the wheels? Anyone had theirs just painted, was it satisfactory? Mine are fairly tatty with what appears to be the laquer flaking off. I'm reluctant to pay lots of money to have them sent off to be diamond cut...

Soldato
What have folks done about refurbishment of the wheels? Anyone had theirs just painted, was it satisfactory? Mine are fairly tatty with what appears to be the laquer flaking off. I'm reluctant to pay lots of money to have them sent off to be diamond cut...

Think someone sprayed them silver and had some sort of flakes implemented. That was a close enough look to the diamond cut finish.

Soldato
Had some but I can't find them. I'll take some when there's next some sunlight and less dirt on them!

Close up, you can tell it's not diamond cut. From a distance though, it's very hard to tell even if you're looking - the light silver with a little bit of flecking gives the same bright colour and glint that you'd expect.

Permabanned
Had some but I can't find them. I'll take some when there's next some sunlight and less dirt on them!

Close up, you can tell it's not diamond cut. From a distance though, it's very hard to tell even if you're looking - the light silver with a little bit of flecking gives the same bright colour and glint that you'd expect.

Where did you get them done and how much ?
My alloys are in shocking condition :(

Soldato
Tillings Surface treatments in the NW. It was about £180 iirc for a drive-in/drive-out. It's about half that if you just drop the rims off those as he's set up for throughput for local dealerships.

Soldato
Tillings Surface treatments in the NW. It was about £180 iirc for a drive-in/drive-out. It's about half that if you just drop the rims off those as he's set up for throughput for local dealerships.

That's a great price, did you happen to get a quote on diamond cut? Or do they not do that?

Back
Top Bottom