Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Permabanned
Tillings Surface treatments in the NW. It was about £180 iirc for a drive-in/drive-out. It's about half that if you just drop the rims off those as he's set up for throughput for local dealerships.

That is a VERY good price.
Does sandblasting get all the corrosion off the wheel sufficiently ?
Do they refit and rebalance your tyres if you had a drive in drive out service ?

It is about 100 miles from me so a fair distance as a round trip but for £180 I think it might just be worth it.

And also when you say drive in drive out, does that mean you left teh car with them ? I assume no courtesy car in the mean time or courtesy set of wheels ?

Soldato
No, you want them HF dipped for a proper job.

Yes they did refitting. I actually turned up with new tyres in my boot so got that done at the same time. The price was about 2 years ago so no promises it's still like that!

Just left the car on axle stands, it's an industrial unit.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
I've seen some people spend up to half the price of a new set of alloys on a refurb.

At that price point I think I'd prefer to just buy new and sell the old set.

£180 is a good price however for a full refurb.

Permabanned
I've seen some people spend up to half the price of a new set of alloys on a refurb.

At that price point I think I'd prefer to just buy new and sell the old set.

£180 is a good price however for a full refurb.

To be fair most refurb places are aroiund the £300 mark, this is about half the price of a brand new set of alloys, but not a brand new set of Ford alloys, they will be lower quality and susceptable to buckling far more than the standard ford ones.

Also buying new Ford alloys in this case means you would have the same problem with the diamond cut finish in a couple of years anyway.

You could argue that they need HF dipping (whatever that is) and it isn't worth doing if you don't get it done properly. However surely alloys done with shortcuts (that still appear to last a while) is better than having real shabby looking alloys due to corrosion etc.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Yeah I noticed that too.

If you're going for a refurb you'll probably want new centre caps too which are £61. As they're included with the new alloys, the cost of the alloys alone then comes down to £816 for comparison.

Then deduct what you'd get for selling your old alloys. What do they go for?

Back
Top Bottom