1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who says aio cooling is crap?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by hlennie, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Ross Thomson

Gangster

2. Parkinson1NX

Gangster

I like where my temps are and the fact my build doesn't have an ugly heat sink sat on top of my CPU. Noise I can't hear and performance is fine.

3. muon

Capodecina

AIOs on GPUs are awesome. Because it is direct die, the water temp is very similar to the die temp itself and so the temps stay very low.

Also the 200-300W of heat gets ejected straight out of the case.

4. Yadda

Wise Guy

I've not looked into this much. With regards to overclocking, do the VRM's end up being the limiting factor or is their cooling improved too?

5. muon

Capodecina

If you use something like the G12 then it introduces airflow over the board. This combined with some RAM sinks and VRM sinks keeps them comfortable. It's not an overclocking bottleneck for stock power limits. You are almost definitely going to hit the power limit instead of any heat limits.

6. Yadda

Wise Guy

I see. That's good to know, cheers.

7. hlennie

Hitman

Lol what happened to me thread? Side tracked or what. The idea of the thread was to provide people with a rough temperature guide for those looking to use AIO’s.

Cooling is personal choice and no one should be bashed for their choice.

Me personally was about cost/cooling delta/fan noise.

160 quid out lay for good temps. And in an other 2 years i will refill both units via modding pretty easy to drill tap fill/drain ports on both. Looking at filling mayhems pastel or better.

I might even do it sooner if i get the time work commitments crazy at the moment.

8. LuckyBenski

Wise Guy

Why would you put Pastel in a sealed opaque loop?

9. ttaskmaster

Sgarrista

How am I scared?
    I have some experience with them, both owning a couple myself and using them in builds I've done for other people, some of which have indeed failed. I'm aware of the limitations and the common modes of failure, as are manufacturers who have openly admitted such cases. You'll find plenty of people mentioning troublesome or even failed AIOs and CLCs on here.
    That doesn't make me scared, just more inclined toward other options.

10. Yadda

Wise Guy

No idea.

11. Ross Thomson

Gangster

assuming the VRM's are on the right hand side of the card or the fan won't blow air onto them.

12. Yadda

Wise Guy

Yea, I was just wondering what the next limitation would be once GPU temp wasn't a factor. It seems the order is GPU temp -> power limit -> VRM temp.

Now I'm wondering if some folk who increase their card's power limit also water-cool the VRM's but I'll look into that myself so as not to drag this too far off topic.

13. hlennie

Hitman

Probly because it was the last fluid i used and easy to spot just in case some thing goes wrong

14. LuckyBenski

Wise Guy

That's a good point. I wonder if UV fluid is even more useful for spotting leaks.

15. martian1

Associate

I have a phantek luxe case which has tons of space now the 2 rads pump with resevior and 9 fans have been stripped out I am going to give the Noctua air cooler a try I will be dropping down to 6 140mm fans (2 on cooler) if I could post a photo directly from my phone showing the state of my expensive GPU it would show my reasoning. I sometimes have my PC running over night or when I am out and after this I would be worried the PC could go up in flames with a bad leak from either a custom loop or a AIO it's freaked me out to be honest
    Forgot to mention my 1080ti was on air prior me getting a water block

16. hlennie

Hitman

If u got contents insurance nothing to worry about. And theres really not enough material in a pc to have a decent fire.

Most premix are non conductive had a few leaks when first started loops lots of kitchen towl later all dry no problems