• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Who will build a Ryzen PC (computer)

Associate
jigger;30493612 said:
Sandy is still a solid performer with 4 cores. With 8 cores, HT and overclocking it would be pretty beastly. A DDR4 Sandy system with all the mod cons would be nice.

Glad someone see's my point. 3930k's still hold up against modern 4c/8t i7's in multithread apps, throw an extra 2 cores in there and update the tech, would be great.

It's still all ifs though, it is AMD afterall.

Soldato
RavenXXX2;30493670 said:
From a business POV it would be bad for AMD matching six year old Intel tech. Anyway I think AMD are way above sandy and more broadwell.

Lol Intel CPU have hardly increased massively since Sandy..

Anyhow don't worry, RyZen is closer to Skylake than Sandy bridge in performance, so no need to worry the performance is not there

Caporegime
With a 4.3ghz 5280k I am not sure. Maybe in a few years if AMD can improve the IPC even more (say ~25% more than Haswell E).

Then I might jump ship to an AMD platform and get an 8 core ryzen.

I fear this first generation will simply have the same or worse IPC as my current cpu anyway.

Soldato
Yes, as this will be my FX upgrade.

1700X or possibly 1800X depending on the price. X370 motherboard, (or X300) but waiting for specs as I do not need on board audio, just one GFX card, essence STX and maximum OC ability OFC.

Associate
I'm still using (from launch) my Phenom II X4 940. Has worked everyday for over 8 years with only a SSD as an upgrade. I'll see how well the price, IPC count and TDP pan out. Would like a new system with a decent mATX motherboard (X370 chipset) - paired with VEGA in the summer.

Soldato
~Dockie;30493643 said:
Glad someone see's my point. 3930k's still hold up against modern 4c/8t i7's in multithread apps, throw an extra 2 cores in there and update the tech, would be great.

It's still all ifs though, it is AMD afterall.

I've already got a 3930k overclocked to 4.4Ghz. If Ryzen is only Sandybridge performance it wouldn't be an upgrade to me. For me the 8c/16t CPU must beat the Haswell-E 5960X to be worth the money otherwise I'll just buy a Broadwell-E 6900k instead.

Soldato
Cromulent;30494234 said:
I've already got a 3930k overclocked to 4.4Ghz. If Ryzen is only Sandybridge performance it wouldn't be an upgrade to me. For me the 8c/16t CPU must beat the Haswell-E 5960X to be worth the money otherwise I'll just buy a Broadwell-E 6900k instead.

RyZen 1700X @3.4ghz has been shown to be 2% slower than 6900k, the RyZen chip was not boosting to it's 3.7ghz limit and using a gimped Mobo and gimped ram.

RyZen is actually closer to Skylake performance than Sandybridge.

I'd say your wasting your money on a 6900k as for half the price you can buy an AMD 8/16, hell for the full price of a 6900k you will be likely able to buy a RyZen 8/16, Mobo, Ram and CPU cooler and prob still have change

Soldato
SiDeards73;30494334 said:
I'd say your wasting your money on a 6900k as for half the price you can buy an AMD 8/16, hell for the full price of a 6900k you will be likely able to buy a RyZen 8/16, Mobo, Ram and CPU cooler and prob still have change

True. The price agrument is a good one and I've love to spend less on my computer as I'll be able to spend that money on other things but at the same time I NEED really good performance for video editing.

If what you say about Ryzen being within 2% of the 6900k is true then it seems to be a no brainer and I'll get Ryzen. I just don't trust these leaked figures I'm waiting for trustworthy news sites to release their official figures like Anandtech for instance.

Soldato
Haven't had a high end PC for 2 years due to the top end being made exclusively for X99 (etc. motherboards).

Will be going for 8c/16t on launch given the prices leaked. £1k machines just became a hell of a lot more powerful.

People keep saying how fast the cpu is, can you include links to the reviews please as all I can see is iffy leaks and hope.

I want to see this processor seriously damage Intel and force them to re-think their business strategy as they have been taking the **** for far to long now.

Soldato
=XDC=FluphyBunny;30494735 said:
People keep saying how fast the cpu is, can you include links to the reviews please as all I can see is iffy leaks and hope.

There are no reviews yet. Expect them nearer to when the CPU is going to released whenever that is.

Soldato
After numerous failed plans and financial setbacks, I'm finally ready to build a completely new rig in the next month or two. So if Ryzen is competitive, I'll more than likely use AMD for the first time. My only problem now is that I want to go ITX, and X300 motherboards won't be available at launch. First world problems and all that.

Man of Honour
I'll be buying at least 1. NAS/Server is on AM3+ so that will be rebuilt with Ryzen (Hopefully we see some 4c/8t or 6c/12t SKUs)

Then as long as it is faster than Ivy Bridge I'll upgrade my workstation too

Associate
I'll consider one if the price & performance is right, so far my i5 4670K is is doing everything I need it to do though. I'd probably be looking at the 4c8t part if I did buy a Ryzen setup, the 6c and above processors would largely be wasted on me!

Permabanned
Every upgrade I've done in the past has come from a need for more performance. I can't say I feel any need to go from Haswell yet. My 290x to 1070 upgrade is disappointing for the money with the price jump being so high for so little.
I might wait for the hype to die down and see what settles next year.
I'd be happy to send money to amd though due to clear price gouging from intel and nvidia.

Back
Top Bottom