• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Who will build a Ryzen PC (computer)

Soldato
easyrider;30495250 said:
Poll needed

I agree :)
Yes - at launch I am already on the hype train.
Yes - at launch if it is close to skylake IPC
Yes - but some time in the next 12 months after the tech settles
No - My current CPU is great
No - I want to but can't buy a new computer right now.
Pancake.

Soldato
If I can find the money I'll definitely give AMD a try. Had great service out of my Athlons and had this 2500k fit best part of 6 years now!

Soldato
=XDC=FluphyBunny;30494735 said:
People keep saying how fast the cpu is, can you include links to the reviews please as all I can see is iffy leaks and hope.

Look at the AMD videos which presented the CPU. It has there both the blender and handbreak benchmarks running live. An Engineering sample Ryzen CPU clocked at 3.4 only without SenseMI (no boost, no prediction etc) and unknown motherboard, against the 6900K in a top of the range motherboard and default settings.

Soldato
I think there's a good chance I'll buy an AMD rig, although I'm not sure when. On the Intel side of things, the only CPUs they offer that would actually "feel" like an upgrade are X99 (dropping core count just feels dirty) and the price of entry for those is pretty high. Coffee Lake will change this but they're still probably 9 months away at least, plus I'm sure only the top SKU and top chipset will be unlocked as always. Meanwhile, it looks like I could get a Ryzen build for a much more reasonable price that I can overclock to beyond my current chip, will have similar IPC to Intel's offerings, and have more cores. :)

Associate
If the price and performance was comparable with intel I'd consider it for when I upgrade the sons pc, but holding off for a while as got burnt with the 8150 release .

I'd imagine most of this forums users already have set ups averaging from 2500k upwards etc so unless amd do something special this time I cant see sales being that good for them as there wont be much incentive to upgrade cpu for a lot of people as there 5 year old cpu is still doing fine for most of there needs ie gaming.

Associate
I'm considering a new Ryzen build. Currently running a 3570k and it is puffing and blowing now in games like GTA5.

Not only that but I want to use NMVE drives and other modern tech.

In principle I would like to avoid Intel. We've seen them creep prices up year on year that does not correspond with the performance increases. It's just little niggles like poor quality TIM on the cpu and price hikes that annoy me.

I will wait a few weeks for bench marks and the marketplace to fill compatible products and then I think I'll be onboard the AMD hype train.

Choo choo.

Soldato
danny77;30495678 said:
If the price and performance was comparable with intel I'd consider it for when I upgrade the sons pc, but holding off for a while as got burnt with the 8150 release .

I'd imagine most of this forums users already have set ups averaging from 2500k upwards etc so unless amd do something special this time I cant see sales being that good for them as there wont be much incentive to upgrade cpu for a lot of people as there 5 year old cpu is still doing fine for most of there needs ie gaming.

Thing is even on a 4770k my mobo does not have an m2 slot as it's a z87 board, and if I'm upgrading the mobo I might as well do the ram and CPU etc etc

People on older i5 2500k and above platforms are on DDR3 ram, lack m2 support and other nice things.

So yeah there's plenty of reasons to upgrade

jkb

jkb

Associate
My 3930k is still going strong at 4.5GHz but I really want to buy a Ryzen cpu if only to bring back memories of my Thunderbird and Barton AMD systems as well as my 486 DX4 120

Associate
Electronic Dave;30494109 said:
I'm still using (from launch) my Phenom II X4 940. Has worked everyday for over 8 years with only a SSD as an upgrade. I'll see how well the price, IPC count and TDP pan out. Would like a new system with a decent mATX motherboard (X370 chipset) - paired with VEGA in the summer.

Ha, someone actually using something older than my P2X4 955 BE :D desperately in need of upgrade so getting Ryzen will be good (or intel if it turns out worse than expected, new chip either way)

Associate
I want to but depends upon price as it will likely mean no new games or films for months to pay for it! - I'd probably also have to pick up a retail copy of Windows 10 & actually that is what is putting me off the most... (even though I have Win10 through the free upgrade I just know something will go **** up). Anyway, if the price of Ryzen is good & it beats my 4770s easily then I may just flip a coin & go with the result! :)

PS Really? That's on the censored word list!? Don't come where I live! :D

Associate
Farious;30496349 said:
I want to but depends upon price as it will likely mean no new games or films for months to pay for it! - I'd probably also have to pick up a retail copy of Windows 10 & actually that is what is putting me off the most... (even though I have Win10 through the free upgrade I just know something will go **** up). Anyway, if the price of Ryzen is good & it beats my 4770s easily then I may just flip a coin & go with the result! :)

If your version of Windows you upgraded from was a retail copy then your windows 10 is a retail copy and you should be able to install it on the new system.

Associate
Farious;30496349 said:

Ryzen still works on win7, AMD did validate it, but just because of microsoft wishes AMD wnt be releasing official drivers, you still don't really need to upgrade to windows 10.

Associate
Never spent >£300 on a CPU but if AMD is really gonna pull it off (8/16 below £500 comparable to £1000 intel) I'm gonna go for it:)

Not that I need it but who can resist such a value;]

Back
Top Bottom