• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Who will build a Ryzen PC (computer)

Soldato
Oh, I'm going all in. Considering the amount of time I spend on it, I've almost always had a woefully substandard system. I haven't upgraded my 760k in three years.

My shopping list is a Mobo, 16GB of DDR 4, a NVMe drive and the most absurd and unnecessary 8c/16t Ryzen I can lay my hands on. The worst part will be the inevitable, long delayed switch over to Windows 10.

It'll be easily be the most I've ever dropped in one upgrade binge. Looking forward to it.

Soldato
Lunatic Dreyfus;30497705 said:
Oh, I'm going all in. Considering the amount of time I spend on it, I've almost always had a woefully substandard system. I haven't upgraded my 760k in three years.

My shopping list is a Mobo, 16GB of DDR 4, a NVMe drive and the most absurd and unnecessary 8c/16t Ryzen I can lay my hands on. The worst part will be the inevitable, long delayed switch over to Windows 10.

It'll be easily be the most I've ever dropped in one upgrade binge. Looking forward to it.

Windows 10 is pretty good. I wouldn't worry about it. Have fun with your upgrade :).

Associate
Cromulent;30497708 said:
Windows 10 is pretty good. I wouldn't worry about it. Have fun with your upgrade :).

It's a decent OS. If it wasn't so determined to spy on us it'd be a great OS. But you can disable some of that behaviour.

Soldato
Wucked;30498143 said:
It's a decent OS. If it wasn't so determined to spy on us it'd be a great OS. But you can disable some of that behaviour.
That and the horrendous UI inconsistency. Partially due to third parties insisting on not adhering to the standard UI framework, but even various components of Windows itself and other Microsoft products are all over the place in terms of visuals. It's just ugly.

I'm definitely gonna look into doing GPU PCIe passthrough at some point so I can try moving to Linux whilst keeping gaming functionality, although the fact that it requires two GPUs is rather annoying (since Ryzen doesn't have iGPU).

Associate
I only replaced my trusty old Q9550 with a 6800K about a month ago, so... no. I could've waited, but I found all the bits at considerable discounts and just wanted to get it over and done with. I think we've all seen how first-gen brand new CPU architectures sometimes have iffy bugs, so there was no major reason for me to definitely wait and go with Zen.

Besides, [email protected] to 6800K@4GHz? A-lol, obviously...!

Panos;30495502 said:
Look at the AMD videos which presented the CPU. It has there both the blender and handbreak benchmarks running live. An Engineering sample Ryzen CPU clocked at 3.4 only without SenseMI (no boost, no prediction etc) and unknown motherboard, against the 6900K in a top of the range motherboard and default settings.

Seen but they they are very very limited. So nothing I have missed and yet people are talking as if full reviews are out!

Thread goes from sandybridge to skylake without so much as a benchmark to back it up.

Soldato
=XDC=FluphyBunny;30498473 said:
Seen but they they are very very limited. So nothing I have missed and yet people are talking as if full reviews are out!

Thread goes from sandybridge to skylake without so much as a benchmark to back it up.

I assume you missed the CPC leak of that ES?? Estimates place the sample they tested as near to BW-E in games,and in-between Haswell and BW-E for productivity work. They tested 6 games and a whole load of software,and published an average performance ranking.

The people behind CPC,leaked the first Athlon 64 results months before release,and the performance held true.

An AMD engineer said they had hit a 58% IPC improvement over Excavator(not the 40% touted earlier),so that is why many of us think something along the lines of Haswell or even BW-E level IPC. At the 40% estimate it placed it closer to SB or IB level on average.

OFC,we will need to wait and see if this holds up once the CPUs actually launch.

Soldato
CAT-THE-FIFTH;30497284 said:
You are changing from a 4.7GHZ Core i7 6700K?? Any chance you can do a compare between the two if you do change over??

Yes I will do so. If someone gives me a list of things to bench the 6700k with the Nano and compare it to Ryzen with the Nano when comes out, I will be more than happy to do so. (both will be water cooler with same predator 360)

Don't ask for PI or burning software only but Can run cinebench though. Games, 3d mark etc of course. Just tell me the games.

Soldato
I probably will if it lives up to the hype but not around launch even if there is stock. 8/16 if the prices are to be believed. Should it not work out, I'll go 6/12 Intel year end/1h 18.

Caporegime
i got a 6700k and have absolutely no intention of even looking at upgrades.
If you are in the market for more than 4c8t then yes sure its interesting but really very few people are.
When mainstream stuff starts using the CPUs to their full potential then sure ill jump too.

Soldato
i got a 6700k and have absolutely no intention of even looking at upgrades.
If you are in the market for more than 4c8t then yes sure its interesting but really very few people are.
When mainstream stuff starts using the CPUs to their full potential then sure ill jump too.

Surely if people stick on 4c or even 4/8 cpus then devs will never bother to code for more cores? I see this as AMD pushing the CPU industry forward more than anything else, making more cores not only competitive with whats already in the market but hugely cheaper, entices people to take the step up no?

Obviously if you have just bought a 6700k or a 7700k there is basically nothing for you here right now, but people on Haswell and older there is comparable and better performance while adding more cores at a cheap upgrade cost. I think if more people adopt more cores in everyday rigs, devs are more likely to spend the resources to harness those cores for improved performance, especially in games where lots of stuff is ported off 8core jaguar consoles.

Back
Top Bottom