• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Who will build a Ryzen PC (computer)

Soldato
i got a 6700k and have absolutely no intention of even looking at upgrades.
If you are in the market for more than 4c8t then yes sure its interesting but really very few people are.
When mainstream stuff starts using the CPUs to their full potential then sure ill jump too.

8 cores for me is a real pull. It'll really speed up some of my work. I know games won't benefit much from it but when I think about how much I play games these days it is hardly worth spending money on a system solely for playing games. I mean I'll get a decent GPU but I'll get the CPU that helps my work the most rather than games.

Soldato
I'm going for either a 1700x or 1800x. The only reason for considering the 1800x is because I've had this PC for the last 5, nearly 6, years - so it'll be a good investment for that amount of time.

Soldato
The only reason for considering the 1800x is because I've had this PC for the last 5, nearly 6, years - so it'll be a good investment for that amount of time.
Of course the alternative is to buy a modest Zen part now, then sell it and buy another modest part once the next-gen has been released on the same socket.

Soldato
Of course the alternative is to buy a modest Zen part now, then sell it and buy another modest part once the next-gen has been released on the same socket.

This is basically my intention. Well, when I say modest, I mean the 1700 most likely. Then whatever looks good during the last generation of this socket for the last upgrade, unless there is some amazing new feature-set with the new socket.

Associate
You are definitely correct there, Intel have held back on performance and will come back to challenge AMD.

Yes AMD are coming back hot with Vengeance but someone as Intel who has been ahead all this time will surely come out with something to combat it, in terms of prices and better performing CPU's

I myself have gone from a 8350 which I have had for 2 years or so and upgrade recently to a Kaby Lake 7600k so I wont be changing unfortunately as my current system is pretty OP :)

Soldato
Not likely, not from a 5820k. I'll see when any worthwhile improvements come but as of now i doubt that will happen until CPU's move on from silicon. I'll see what happens with Zen+ & Coffee/Ice Lake tbh, i admit the AMD platform looks enticing because all the Zen chips should work in the same socket.. With Intel isn't Ice Lake meant to be the last architecture using silicon anyway? Or close to it.

I'm quite spent on tech atm anyway, during the last year blew a grand on backing a manga, got a new 1440p screen coming soon, plus ordered a Nintendo Switch. :o but i look forward to seeing results etc.

Associate
This is why I waited before upgrading from i7 920. Intel were just faffing around, not even soldering their damn dies. They're pouring billions into a new chip factory. Gee, I wonder where their profits come from. Oh I know! Charging whatever they damn please.

Associate
Still running a 3820 on X79 at 4.4 , anyone think its worth upgrading yet ? ( currently have a Fury Pro , waiting on Vega to hopefully upgrade as have Freesync monitor .. )

Soldato
Still running a 3820 on X79 at 4.4 , anyone think its worth upgrading yet ? ( currently have a Fury Pro , waiting on Vega to hopefully upgrade as have Freesync monitor .. )

I've got a 3930k at 4.4Ghz as well and am waiting for reviews to decide if I'll get it. Chances are high that I will though.

Soldato
started buying bits now, bought a new case and psu as the plan is try and sell my current 8350 pc as a whole pc minus gpu and hdds.

still unsure of what mobo ram and ryzen cpu to go for bit speculating it will be a gigabyte b350, 1600x and 3000 cas15 ddr4 16gb

Back
Top Bottom