Who works in Enterprise IT

Associate
Support manager (and other things) in the financial sector. Have been a techie for a long time, then moved into management.

I'm a pure techie and keep being offered a back office managers role, but always turn it down. I just can't see myself being anything other than a techie. Also am afraid of slowly losing the skills which I've worked hard at gaining over the years, and managing people scares me.

Soldato
I work in the tech support department of a regional coop. The tech support basically handles the calls help desk can't do and all the project work.

We have 5 DCs, 1 x Exchange, 25 other servers, AS400s, i5, iSCSI SAN, autloloaders, POE wifi network and soon to be putting in the IP phone system.

Kimbie

Soldato
I work in the tech support department of a regional coop. The tech support basically handles the calls help desk can't do and all the project work.

We have 5 DCs, 1 x Exchange, 25 other servers, AS400s, i5, iSCSI SAN, autloloaders, POE wifi network and soon to be putting in the IP phone system.

Kimbie

PoE wifi ? Bet that makes your hair stand on end ;)

Soldato
I'm a Technical Architect for a large Outsourcing company

Main areas of experise are

Server Virtualisation
Application Delivery
Microsoft Server Suite
x86 Hardware
SAN

but can and do turn my hand to just about anything I need to.

Soldato
all you enterprise guys,
for someone wanting to get into enterprise would you reccomend getting a degree first or going for MCSE/CCNA etc?

Soldato
I've just taken a job working as a developer for a digital agency mainly doing SharePoint 2007 (MOSS) development. Will also be working with Commerce Serve and BizTalk and well as other technologies. Does that mean I now work in 'enterprise' IT?

Soldato
I'm a Technical Architect for a large Outsourcing company

Main areas of experise are

Server Virtualisation
Application Delivery
Microsoft Server Suite
x86 Hardware
SAN

but can and do turn my hand to just about anything I need to.

Give us a clue, what does the name begin with ?

Soldato
I've just taken a job working as a developer for a digital agency mainly doing SharePoint 2007 (MOSS) development. Will also be working with Commerce Serve and BizTalk and well as other technologies. Does that mean I now work in 'enterprise' IT?

Depends if the customers are enterprise level or not.

If every decision needs to be taken by a committee of not less than 10 people, two of which actually know what the meeting is about the rest being managers then yes its enterprise.

If the only thing that gets decided in these meetings is the need to have more meetings then its "large enterprise".

Soldato
Systems analyst for the Gibraltar Goverment here.

Do a bit of everything, supporting 3000 users, 1300 PC's and around 40 servers. Fully meshed Fibre-optic network incorporating all sectors of Goverment including the local hospital, income tax, dss, fire brigade, HR, DLVA, etc etc.

Look after all associated programs and systems too, but the main areas I work in are Exchange 2007, Windows 2003/08, as400 systems, and network security.

Mostly IBM server/Cisco routing-switching. Current job is the setting up of a backup server site under the rock itself ;) Its gas/nuclear/bomb proof, extremely secure as its still under MOD jusrasdiction. Quite a nice project which will have space for Enterprise companies to setup in the near future.

Don
i work in enterprise, have done pretty much since its was buzz worded as such

no idea about how many qualifications I have now!

big ones include

cisco storage CCIE, CCNA (one of the first in EULA for the CCIE)
networing CCIE, CCNA etc..
SNIA Fc practationer, SCSP,SCSE and recently SCSA
done all the HP ASE, ASP,ACT stuff but its probably expired, used to build gs160/320 (love alpha!) eva3k/5k, msa1000 and seem to remember esa12000's way back when
was on the original inception training for emc dmx, centerra, celerra etc and now they bought legato ill have that too, did all the clarrion exams as well

got millions of silly little company qualifications, qlogic, brocade, onstor, netapps, cloverleaf, f5, raritan, checkpoint etc.. etc.. really the list is endless I used to make it my mission in life to have as many letters after my name as possible :p

Man of Honour
Degree > Grad Scheme > Work your way up.

Well, it's the safe way but it'll take you forever more to work your way up at a lot of places and it'll be a long time before you actually get trusted with anything.

I'd say CCNA and/or MCSE is maybe a better option, but it depends hugely on how talented you are. If you're technically brilliant then you'll get further faster without bothering with a degree, otherwise a degree arend grad scheme will get any bright individual into IT...

The exception is if you want to go into management, you'll need a degree to get far there.

Back
Top Bottom