Who's the dirtiest player in the Premiership ?

Soldato
Originally posted by Gilly
I'm still trying to work out your problem. Is it me? Are you so against Leeds on my part?

might be coz he likes man utd
dunno.gif

Soldato
Savage - Wind up merchant, still want to know what he said to Dublin to provoke the nutt. Think Dion was gagged by Villa to prevent any further nastiness.

Shearer - Wouldn't say he's dirty, tho he does have his moments.

RvN - I will NEVER forget, as long as my butt looks south, him going down under a 50/50 challenge against Sasa Illic in a champions league game, writhing on the floor for about 4 minuites until the keeper is dismissed, then gets up and scores the penalty - that is cheating and constitutes dirty.

Keane - was dirty, seems to have lost his bite.

Man of Honour
Probably Shearer or Smith for me I guess. I'm not always convinced Smith means to really hurt people but he does get carried away and dives in with some outrageous scything "tackles", around the touchlines etc.

Shearer does use the elbow a fair bit and puts himself about a lot off the ball.

Pretty funny on that roy keane program on ch5 the other week, saying he hated himself for lashing out at Shearer. Hated himself because he only did a push in the face, rather than an actual punch :)

Soldato
Robbie Savage. After watching the West ham game when Brevette scored the og, Savage running up and shouting in his ear! Dirty ******! Or Richard Prokas, rememeber that tackle on Vieria for Carlise, got away Scott free, yet could have broken his leg!

Last edited:
Associate
i knew that savage would be mentioned here but........how many times has he been sent off?

anyone.....

zero, nought, a big fat doughnut number of red cards.

yes, he's a wind up merchant and gets his tackles in but he's never elbowed, nutted, stamped, spat or gone into a tackle trying to maim someone.

SamJ

PAz

PAz

Soldato
LOL how can someone say Dennis is one of the dirtiest players? hardly at all..

id have to say Gerrard (particularly for that tackle on Vieria) or RvN...

RvN maybe not so much dirty, but just so sly and pathetic...i love it when Keown comes up against and just knocks the little girly about

Vieria, Keane and Smith have been pretty good this season i think...

and as for Keown being dirty, well maybe a little, but i love the guy! class defender in my book, hes got the agression and determination that all defenders should have!

Soldato
Originally posted by SamuearlJackson
i knew that savage would be mentioned here but........how many times has he been sent off?

anyone.....

zero, nought, a big fat doughnut number of red cards.

yes, he's a wind up merchant and gets his tackles in but he's never ...or gone into a tackle trying to maim someone.

SamJ

Yes he has, there have been a number of red card offence tackles which he has gotten away with for some reason or another. Just because he has never been sent of is more luck than judgement.

Associate
well, i guess we disagree here but i think savage is not a dirty player. especially when we're talking about THE dirtiest player and you have players who have done MUCH worse things. i don't define dirty as irritating or mouthy. the fact he's not been sent off over his entire pro career actually says quite a lot i think. it's not like he's only just started playing and was lucky last season.

SamJ

Associate
When Fulham came to St. Andrew's in December Mr Savage was his usual combative, committed self, harrying and chasing everything within a one hundred mile radius. The southern softies and French fancy dans didn't like it and became increasingly agitated. :p.

I think it was around the 70 minute when Savage came in with a pretty bad tackle on the prolific Marlet, had a red card been shown, few would have complained. Marlet then decided to show some true French grit and spirit, and kicked him in the back whilst he was on the floor, earning himself a dismissal. :D.

This moment encapsulated Robbie to a tee. He plays on the edge, he fights for every ball, wears his heart on his sleeve. He winds other players up.

In this instance it was a bad tackle, but I've certainly seen worse this seaon alone, and Robbie made no like challenge since or before.

I've yet to witness an attempt to play the man rather than the ball, not for Blues anyway. The Marlet challenge was clumsy and mistimed, not malicious. Imho, of course.

I don't think he's 'dirty'. Celebrating in front of an opposition player is certainly not a traditional 'dirty' action. Might be a little out of order, but he hardly caused Brevett any physical damage!

Plus, player of the season! :p. (Although that would probably aid the prosecution!). :o.

Soldato
Originally posted by Gilly
Because he is dirty does not mean he is a bad player.

Well i reckon to say shearer is the dirtyest player in the prem is crap!. Anyway gilly we just signed him.. goes by the name of lee boyer, remmeber him?.;)

Or have we signed him?.. i dunno, whats going on there then?.:confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
I just recall one of Savage's tackles on the legend (rivals Kev's Hero for quality status) Justin Edinborough when he went in full studs & ended up standing on Justin's leg as he stood up out of the red card challenge. This was years ago & I have seen similar types of tackles from him which really could injure players. That is what I call a dirty player but I agree he is not the worst. He is a player everyone is amazed to hear hasn't been red carded as most have seen him do something worth a red & I wonder how many matches he has been on a yellow & subbed off early ;)

Associate
hehe :) i remember the leicester game at bolton a couple of years ago where two players were sent off for challenges on savage. sav was subbed after about 30mins in that game which was a bad decision if you ask me. we were 2-0 up and ended up drawing 2-2 (against 9 players FFS!!!).

i think savage ends up on the receiving end of a lot of abuse/bad tackles because of his reputation. off the top of my head i can think of 6 players being given straight reds in incidents with him!

it was the justin edinburgh incident in the league cup final which set everybody off. he went down like a pansy then but he doesn't do that anymore.

SamJ

Soldato
Originally posted by The Edge

RvN - I will NEVER forget, as long as my butt looks south, him going down under a 50/50 challenge against Sasa Illic in a champions league game, writhing on the floor for about 4 minuites until the keeper is dismissed, then gets up and scores the penalty - that is cheating and constitutes dirty.

Well seeing as its going to stay with you for life, you could at lease remember what actually happend, Ruud had the ball and was making to round him and slot it in, and Illic went in studs up just under the knee.

Soldato
Originally posted by atpbx
Well seeing as its going to stay with you for life, you could at lease remember what actually happend, Ruud had the ball and was making to round him and slot it in, and Illic went in studs up just under the knee.

from what i remember the ball was in the air, the keeper came out to claim it and his studs tapped rvn on his leg, maybe this is a different incident =/

Back
Top Bottom