Why does Apple have to be so bloody difficult?

Man of Honour
A lot of tablets can't receive SMS directly even Android ones - some with 4G capabilities can i.e. my Sony Xperia tablet Z but a lot can't.

Soldato
Wait, this £400 tablet can't receive messages? Seriously?

Hahaha, Apple are so crap.

Took half an hour on the phone with those "geniuses" to tell me that it can't be done.

**** sakes. £400 and it can't even receive messages. LOL.

You need an Apple ID to receive iMessages in the iMessage app.

On my iPhone any messages sent from iMessage to a non apple device convert to SMS.

Caporegime
Wait, this £400 tablet can't receive messages? Seriously?

Hahaha, Apple are so crap.

Took half an hour on the phone with those "geniuses" to tell me that it can't be done.

**** sakes. £400 and it can't even receive messages. LOL.

Words fail me.

So you didn't think to check? You can't bash an entire companys list of products based on the fact you wasn't aware it can't receive SMS messages, most tablets can't unless you buy one specifically capable of taking a SIM card in.

Caporegime
OP
I would've thought that a device capable of taking a sim card would be able to use the sim functionality, no? :confused:

Bit odd if you ask me. I must have an old phone at home somewhere, I'll have a dig around and throw this thing in the bin.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
If you think dealing with Apple as a consumer is difficult try and join their MFI* program. It's a joke! They also take forever to approve app updates. Google take about 30 minutes before it's released, Apple can take up to a week :/.

https://developer.apple.com/programs/mfi/
If you want to develop any hardware that uses Bluetooth (Bluetooth LE excluded) you have to sign up for this, and put a stupid Apple coprocessor on your hardware otherwise they refuse to let you talk to it. They wanted us to ship a 25KG/£800+ product to Cupertino so they could vet it too. Google didn't even bat an eyelid.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
So let me get this straight. You were trying to send an SMS message, which requires a SIM card and phone number, from an iPad without a SIM card?

I cannot see how this is the fault of the device?

iMessage was asking you to log into the service so you can use it - that's pretty standard for use of a Service.

Soldato
reminds me of a conversation i had with a friend who could definitely be described as enthusiastic about apple products:
"i don't like micro usb, its weak and it keeps breaking"

since then he's been through 2 iphones and countless broken lightning cables.

and i've broken precisely 1 micro usb cable by accidentally standing on it.

i think the thing about the apple ecosystem is it doesn't work all that well if you only dip your toe into the murky waters, you need to completely submerge yourself.
This is a poor example. I'm by no means am apple fan, but I've had an iPad mini for over 2 years and it's been fine. The original cable also works fine too.

Your experience isn't one of micro USB cables lasting very well, and his isn't one of lightning cables not lasting long. I think it's more a case of your example is one of someone looking after their stuff and his is one of someone not looking after their stuff.

Soldato
This is a poor example. I'm by no means am apple fan, but I've had an iPad mini for over 2 years and it's been fine. The original cable also works fine too.

Your experience isn't one of micro USB cables lasting very well, and his isn't one of lightning cables not lasting long. I think it's more a case of your example is one of someone looking after their stuff and his is one of someone not looking after their stuff.

he's not the only one, my mum's had the same with the pre-lightning cables, and of all my freinds who use apple devies i've yet to see a cable more than 6 months old that didn't look terrible.

the only conclusion is the cables are bad or apple owners don't look after their stuff

Man of Honour
Hi. It's Friday. I feel like moaning.

... Snip standard apple junk....

Had a similar and equally infuriating one a few weeks back. I have the misfortune of occasionally having to provide people with new iPhones and was upgrading somebody from a 6 to a 7, sounds easy right? So I plug the 6 into pc and make a backup, plug in new iPhone 7 and ahhh iTunes says no... you need to update the 6 to allow this, so you download a couple of gb and update the 6 (45 minutes or so) only now the 6 is on a newer OS than the 7 was delivered with. I again make a back of the 6 and try and restore to the 7 and it just point blank refuses, claiming that I now need to update the 7 or set it up as a new iPhone and then restore so I set it up as a new iPhone and iTunes persists in telling me no. So I begin updating the 7 to the same OS... another 30 mins and finally they are on the same OS and another 20 mins or so and the restore is underway. The whole job which took no more than around 10 minutes going from the s7 to the s8 ended up taking nearly 4 hours to simply restore an iPhone from one phone to the other. I could only describe the experience as a total joke.

Soldato
Had a similar and equally infuriating one a few weeks back. I have the misfortune of occasionally having to provide people with new iPhones and was upgrading somebody from a 6 to a 7, sounds easy right? So I plug the 6 into pc and make a backup, plug in new iPhone 7 and ahhh iTunes says no... you need to update the 6 to allow this, so you download a couple of gb and update the 6 (45 minutes or so) only now the 6 is on a newer OS than the 7 was delivered with. I again make a back of the 6 and try and restore to the 7 and it just point blank refuses, claiming that I now need to update the 7 or set it up as a new iPhone and then restore so I set it up as a new iPhone and iTunes persists in telling me no. So I begin updating the 7 to the same OS... another 30 mins and finally they are on the same OS and another 20 mins or so and the restore is underway. The whole job which took no more than around 10 minutes going from the s7 to the s8 ended up taking nearly 4 hours to simply restore an iPhone from one phone to the other. I could only describe the experience as a total joke.

ahh yes, I remember the last time I transferred across stuff to my phone, as I recall it took 2 minutes to do the basic set-up and sign in, then maybe 20 minutes to wait for everything to sync up, swapped my memory card over and bam, exactly as it was before.

Man of Honour

as someone who breaks every electronic device, especially power cables and their sockets, I can confirm Apple Lightning connectors are better than micro usb, however, both are still ****, magnetic cables like on the Microsoft surface range is where its at(or any other surface mounted magnetic connector), at least its near impossible to break the socket, but the cable still breaks. I despair how much electronics I've broken over the years.
I now refuse to buy anything with a barrel connector as I will break the socket within weeks.

Soldato
In my experience the genuine lightning cables last, annoyingly they don't make them more than a metre, longer third party ones are far less reliable.

op should switch off imessage and download a third party sms application from the app store. You'll need an apple ID to do so though, so you may aswell just sign into imessage if you create one :D

Back
Top Bottom