• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why is AMD quiet about black screens on 290x?

I wasn't trying at all. You just decided to use a complete side story for some reason? We weren't talking about Nvidia

Some others were though,weren't they?? Giving the impression AMD only ignores hardware problems and Nvidia does not?? They BOTH do it at times.

However,they also BOTH do pick up on problems too.

I also pointed a hardware issue with HD7870 cards too a few posts back. Its not like AMD has not had its issues this generation.

Look at some of the MSI HD7950 cards IIRC too.

Last edited:
Again as I said earlier the reality is they aren't going to say anything because there wouldn't be anything they could say at the moment that would improve the situation any way.

Also as common as this may be the reality is, like most such issues the number is still a small relative to the number actually sold.

I think he is saying he has the issue only when overclocked, but that if he runs at 60hz (and overclocked) it's stable. I may be reading it incorrectly though.
That's what I read as well.

If it's stable at 60Hz but not at 120Hz on 1200MHz, it's really down to unstable overclock since 120Hz would push more frames than 60Hz if the frame rate was capped or using vsync.

Again, the issue that OP is facing get buried in the sand by the amount of posts which people quickly jumping in to bash AMD.

Is it possible to set a higher 2d core clock, memory clock/voltage to overcome this issue OP? You can setup 2d/3d profiles in afterburner with custom clocks and voltage settings.

Wy57FlI.jpg.png

Could it be a heat/memory problem with that 1200mhz o/c. maybe the card is just not getting enough airflow, what's the fan speed/profile set at for that o/clock?
Ive got it water cooled with 3x 360 rads.

Is the OP having this issue at stock or when overclocked??

Or both??

Only overclocked, i can do 1100/1450 stock voltage. No black screens. I can do 1125 slight artifacting. Again no black screen. If i overvolt to fix the artifacting i will get a black screen. And only at 120hz. The clocks seems irellevant. Its the fact that im over volting it. Some people have mentioned that the VRM on these cards cant cooperate properly with the cards due to different power delivery (7.5mV in bulks on MSI AB and the card is made to handle 5mV, something like that). And this is why i think i can get an avarage oc on my card, since i have avarage ASIC. If this idea is correct, people with the black screen problem AND LOW ASIC should have a lot more issues when over volting.

I think he is saying he has the issue only when overclocked, but that if he runs at 60hz (and overclocked) it's stable. I may be reading it incorrectly though.

That is correct.

Last edited:
Not sure i found the same problem i think when i tried it once. Disabling powerplay support should leave the card in 3d mode so im surprised that does not help. Did you restart the pc after making the change?

This black screen issue with my card is present at stock settings, with either the drivers that came with the card or the new beta driver, generally after a hard reset the black screen is "gone", however the next cold boot it will be back. Happens either playing BF4 or Wot atm, not tried any other games as of yet.

Back
Top Bottom