• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why is AMD quiet about black screens on 290x?

Duff VRM?

voltage regulator issue (From MSI AB or similar) since most programs deliver in 6.25-6.5mV bulks (correct me if im wrong) and the 290x voltage regulator is designed for 5.5mV. So it goes to ****. Which leads me to believe people with high ASIC cards are doing better than most (Some gets the issue, some dont, some get it later than others and some earlier).

MSI AB/GPU Tweak issue in combination with the drivers. Ill wait and see.

Last edited:
Hmmm my 670 has been refusing to recognise 1 monitor after coming out of sleep, resulting in me having to disable it in the control panel to force it to work again. This screws up the icons and desktop layout each time which is very very frustrating...Didn't hear Nvidia say anything about it, should I have made a thread?

Hmmm my 670 has been refusing to recognise 1 monitor after coming out of sleep, resulting in me having to disable it in the control panel to force it to work again. This screws up the icons and desktop layout each time which is very very frustrating...Didn't hear Nvidia say anything about it, should I have made a thread?

I dont know, should you?

To clarify, your card works fine at stock volts even when overclocked but when you want to overclock more and you add more volts, it gives a black screen? 60Hz helps (but I assume it still does it) but it happens all the time on 120Hz?

Is that pretty much it? or am I missing something?

To clarify, your card works fine at stock volts even when overclocked but when you want to overclock more and you add more volts, it gives a black screen? 60Hz helps (but I assume it still does it) but it happens all the time on 120Hz?

Is that pretty much it? or am I missing something?

Pretty much it, 60hz will let me overvolt a tiny bit more before black screens.

I wonder if it isn't something to do with the power delivery. I know when I went big on volts on my Titan, I got a black screen as well but could hear everything else running. I tried again and got the same thing and looking at the power being drawn from just the GPU with slightly less volts, it was showing as ~460w

I put this fault down to the TDP and maybe the same for you? Purely guessing though.

FOR THE 10TH FDSGBAERTFqgbr time it DOES NOT CRASH.

Well it does crash because you get a black screen. That's sounds to me like the application crashing.

Dodgy overclocks used to largely result in BSODs for me on my 7950s whereas on my nVidia card the application generally hangs or the image freezes and then the application closes.

Perhaps the black screen is how this particular series handles a dodgy overclock.

Nice attitude you've got there though. Keep it up and you may just get an answer from somebody willing to help.

Which suggests that the issue is down to either:
Faulty VRM/VRM (voltage controller)that doesn't like being pushed further
Incompatibility or issues with the driver/overclocking software.

As it overclocks fine on stock volts, unless your card is guaranteed to be voltage tweakable, I suspect you may be stuck. Additionally **If** the voltage controller is incompatible with the voltage adjustments currently done by the overclocking software, that's not going to help your case, as that mismatch may be contributing to the issue.

Either way, if this really bugs you, I'd suggest all you can really do is:
A) RMA the card to see if another card with another voltage controller works better
B) Wait for the software/drivers to get updated and see if this resolves it.

120Hz pushes the cards harder, so it's not unsuprising the issues manifest quicker there, not to mention it's a smaller market, so testing at 120Hz isn't going to be quite so prevalent.

Overclocking/overvolting is 99/100 at your own risk and chip lottery, so seems you've been unlucky. If the card also did it at stock voltages, you'd have a case, but as it stands, because it works fine at stock, you don't have much of a leg to stand on :(

Last edited:
Yea you're not getting it.

Nope and by the sounds of it, you are not getting it. If it performs as it should do at stock volts, no vendor will guarantee overclocks (at least I don't think so) by adding more volts.

You have the ability to overclock on stock volts and it works well from what I can see but you want that golden card (like your 7970) but sadly this can't always be a given and we have to lump it.

Nope and by the sounds of it, you are not getting it. If it performs as it should do at stock volts, no vendor will guarantee overclocks (at least I don't think so) by adding more volts.

You have the ability to overclock on stock volts and it works well from what I can see but you want that golden card (like your 7970) but sadly this can't always be a given and we have to lump it.

Black screen when overvolting on STOCK CLOCKS. Now please leave, you're only annoying at this point.

Back
Top Bottom