Why is Steam still such a steaming pile of leper excement?

Soldato
i sometimes get the steam is already running thing but it takes like 2 seconds to fix so i put up with it, for me steam is great the last 3 games i have bought were on steam deals.

Soldato
I've had steam from the start and can't ever remember having a problem with it, I think it's great and might just turn out to be the biggest saviour of the PC as a gaming platform Valve/steam that is.

Soldato
I hate Steam, All the games were always so much better off as there own clients just own there own
100% this.

If all the games you bought on STEAM run flawlessly then I'm happy for you but Valve also allow many games to be published on it which are still broken and if you want to get a refund its almost impossible without them disabling your account so none of your other games work either! Very unfair business practice as if you bought a physical copy & it was broken you could demand a refund. Its obvious that QA on non Valve titles is poor so why are they allowed to put the game on STEAM??

It never ceases to amaze me how so many PC gamers are blinded by loyalty to Valve/STEAM because lets face it apart from Half Life2 and the HL2 Episodes most of Valves work in the last 5 years has been mod releases based on the HL2 source engine they have not made anything new in that time and STEAM is their company focus nowadays not PC games development.

HAz

HAz

Soldato
one thing that has never been fixed and always annoys me is when you right click a game and say "view updated details" and up pops the shop latest games????? gah so u close that then the proper screen pops up! been like that for years. ****!!!

Caporegime
one thing that has never been fixed and always annoys me is when you right click a game and say "view updated details" and up pops the shop latest games????? gah so u close that then the proper screen pops up! been like that for years. ****!!!

doesn't do that for me at all :confused:

you sure you're not accidental clicking "view store page" underneath :p

Associate
I love Steam and want to have it's babies!

Seriously, I can't fathom why anyone would dislike it. I'm even waiting for Blood Bowl to come out on Steam before I buy it even though I've been looking forward to it for ages.

IMHO Steam is the best thing to happen to PC gaming since the introduction of GPU's. Kudos to Valve!

Permabanned
Its clear that the people who do like STEAM didnt have it before it was around...

Playing games was so much better back then. The good old days of CS 1.3 - 1.5 Then steam came around and screwed things up for along time with everyone

Associate
Its clear that the people who do like STEAM didnt have it before it was around...

Que?

:p

Anyway... I've been using steam for (hl2 was out '04 right?) 5 years now and have never had an issue with it.

I think it's great, makes backups/restores a breeze, puts all my games in one place, allows me to access them from any PC and lets me dive into game with friends effortlessly.

Soldato
the most annoying thing, is that steam decides its a good idea to have to turn on all my 4 storage hdd's one by one when i want to run a game thats nothing to do with those drives

Associate
I'm 27 and have been playing games since the 8k Spectrum. I've also owned a Commodore 64, Amigas and many PCs, starting with a 386. Steam has only improved my long-term hobby. In fact, I've even added most of my classic games collection to my Steam list.

I also used to play a lot of CS (pre-source) and having Steam back then would have only improved the experience. Apart from the odd 'Steam is already running' (very rare and easy to fix) I've never had any problems with it. You must just be unlucky.

Associate
Eh, I love steam, is nice to come back to PC gaming after a few years and you still have all your games available:D.
In the early days steam was horrendous, but now it's just great and runs perfectly on my win7.

Associate
Steam is great now, i only wish i could link all my retail games to it via the cd keys. I remember being in the beta test years ago along with CS Source, it was terrible back then but has evolved into one of my favourite things about PC gaming today

Associate
OP
Hmm so opionion is very much divided. So then at best it's poorly tested for compatibility issues or something I guess, if some people have trouble free gaming and some people detest it! Thanks for the hd-spanning tip, might be useful. My main pc atm is my laptop, so I can't have the rack of 5 hds I used to have in my old tower, I'll get a mahoosive one at some stage though and image this one onto the new one or something.

Back
Top Bottom