Why is Steam still such a steaming pile of leper excement?

Soldato
hd5870 and now crysis warhead and company of heroes only only run 1080i, all other games 1080p. Spent several hours on google and on pc trying to fix it without success still running 50hz mode. My other none steam games all run 1080p no problem.
Try this below for crysis and crysis wars

"Press Alt + Enter to change the refresh rate.

Soldato
I like the whole idea/concept of steam however it is slow to load, buggy and just badly made. I think they should totally revamp it, make it a much more lightweight and reliable client.

Associate
My only gripe with steam is the amount of money they chaff off me every week with their special deals.

Apart from that, the platform works pretty good, had a few issues but a google search normally bears fruit from somebody else in the community having found and fixed the problem.

Perfect.. no.. there is quite a few things that could be changed or added to make it a great platform, but generally I'm more than happy with steam considering its a free piece of software.

Soldato
dunno, it just is. I hate steam too, but its the only way to play some games. Wish i could instead DOD source and play without it

Soldato
I like it now but never used to as the games were always overpriced.

Now with the weekend deals and such my games collection is growing rapidly.

Associate
the main benefit of steam for me is it saves me from the hassle of keeping cds and boxes. The only real disappointment for me is the prices are not competitive in general (excluding special offers).

Soldato
I think the only problem with STEAM is that you can't buy or sell second hand games. Or can you?

Apart from this never had any issues and I think its actually pretty good overall. Easy to get demons, automatic updates (might not suit everyone as some people prefer older patches if new patch is buggy etc), and yeah its kinda expensive most of the time.

Associate
Steam is my gaming portal, I can't stand too many icons on my desktop, so I add them to my non-steam games list. All they have to sort out is there charges they make for games.

Soldato
Because when you force your customers to install the thing to play their Source based games, you can get away with making it shoddy - i've certainly experienced the issues the OP is talking about.

Having said that i've warmed to it a fair whack over the past few months, but I don't trust it with my gaming collection and will continue to buy games on disk whenever I can.

I'm just waiting for them to mistakenly screw something up on my account.

Soldato
I don't care what anyone says. Steam has problems.

It's never worked 100% across loads of different computers, three different operating systems. Systems where every single other thing works fine.

If its not the friends list not being up (wasnt it down for like a year at one point?) it's games not decrypting properly, being stuck at 100%, deleting themselves totally for no reason, etc etc etc.

Steam itself is brilliant but there are definately some issues lurking there.

Soldato
I've had issues with it in the past (such as not being able to play any of my games in offline mode without going online first, which was hassle when without a connection at all due to incompetent ISPs) but for the last 2 years or so it's been pretty rock solid really.

Back
Top Bottom