Why you SHOULD be using Firefox

One setting to watch out for that Mozilla has enabled by default is "Allow web sites to perform privacy-preserving ad measurement" in the Privacy & Security section of settings, under the Web Site Advertising Preferences header.

This has now turned up in the Linux version if anyone is interested.

One setting to watch out for that Mozilla has enabled by default is "Allow web sites to perform privacy-preserving ad measurement" in the Privacy & Security section of settings, under the Web Site Advertising Preferences header.
This should be OFF by default, why would anyone want this ON?

Sounds like a good thing surely? They are trying to improve the current cross site tracking setup which hoovers up your data. It sounds like Mozilla are wanting to preseve user privacy but still allow advertisers to see if their ads are working.

"Our hope is that if we develop a good attribution solution, it will offer a real alternative to more objectionable practices like tracking. We are currently testing this approach to see if it can provide advertisers with the information they're looking for."

So far, hopefully not speaking too soon, I've not had any oddities with YT playback since the update intended to fix it - though I don't personally believe it is a FF problem as such rather than how FF handles something YT are doing in the back end as I still see some glitches with other browsers in the same patterns as the problem manifested in FF just those other browsers tends to handle it more gracefully i.e. just a single corrupt frame rather than causing issues with playback and buffering.

So far, hopefully not speaking too soon, I've not had any oddities with YT playback since the update intended to fix it - though I don't personally believe it is a FF problem as such rather than how FF handles something YT are doing in the back end as I still see some glitches with other browsers in the same patterns as the problem manifested in FF just those other browsers tends to handle it more gracefully i.e. just a single corrupt frame rather than causing issues with playback and buffering.
I don't know if it's anything to do with v128, but I've noticed YouTube videos don't pause after a few seconds. That was annoying at first, as the video would play for a second or two then pause for no apparent reason.

Sounds like a good thing surely? They are trying to improve the current cross site tracking setup which hoovers up your data. It sounds like Mozilla are wanting to preseve user privacy but still allow advertisers to see if their ads are working.

"Our hope is that if we develop a good attribution solution, it will offer a real alternative to more objectionable practices like tracking. We are currently testing this approach to see if it can provide advertisers with the information they're looking for."

I'm undecided if to leave it enabled?

Sounds like a good thing surely?
It's the Streisand effect, before (even now?) people didn't know/care about the amount of data being collected by advertisers, now that features been added people think it's Mozilla's fault for letting advertisers collect the information.

This should be OFF by default, why would anyone want this ON?

Agree. Rather than turning it on by default and not telling the end user, when you load up the browser for the first time after an update it should give you a button to turn on or off the feature and explain to you what it is and why it's needed.

Turning it on by default the issue is as it's essentially a beta feature they are testing there is the high possibility that something doesn't work correctly and it causes some exposure of personal data or whatever.

Even better would be to do the above but in the nightly, canary and maybe beta builds but not in the main release.

It's a beta feature and doesn't belong in the main release.

Last edited:
I'm back on Brave now since Chrome are phasing out manifest v2 extensions.

I did give Firefox another go a few weeks back but still kept getting the odd stutter when watching content on youtube.

Not touched firefox for many years but my mother continued to use it for some reason so i will need to look into it again. I tried Brave but something about it just seemed off to me. liked the features of Opera GX but is backed by china?

Definitely not one to trust saving all your details with despite how many features are crammed into it.
Oppps wasn't aware of this - thankfully I just use it as my alternative browser but maybe time to consolidate into FF instead. I've been struggling with Chrome doing random stuff, so this could be correct excuse for me now

Back
Top Bottom