Why you SHOULD be using Firefox

Soldato
Firefox 100 is here. It doesn't seem like that long ago when the browser version was in it's twenties. :eek:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/100.0/releasenotes/

I remember when Firefox was born, and way before all this fast version cycling nonsense. Major version numbers only came round every couple of years or so, and then they decided to copy Chrome (because higher=better). Hopefully the release of v100 means vaapi on Linux is fixed outside of Nightly/beta now.

Soldato
Firefox 100 is here. It doesn't seem like that long ago when the browser version was in it's twenties. :eek:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/100.0/releasenotes/
If they stuck to the old numbering system it would be version 6 or 7. :p

Improved fairness between painting and handling other events. This noticeably improves the performance of the volume slider on Twitch.
Didn't even notice this was an issue on Twitch. They've been doing a lot of work getting Twitch to run better so glad there's been a lot of effort to "fix" Amazon's mess.

A lot of other improvements looking at the release notes. Saw this on Reddit and checked the mentioned sites, and there is a good boost in opening those pages.

Soldato
Ffirefox is horrible. Edge is much better.
I would have agreed to that a year ago but I don't like how bloated Edge feels now. The shopping assistant, cluttered home page, Pinterest suggestions, reminders to restore "optimal" browser settings, etc. just drove me back to Firefox.

The one thing I did like was how collections worked and that it can sync over to mobile. Firefox Android has collections too but it's not as powerful and doesn't sync at all, no way of seeing them on the desktop.

Soldato
Edge is good but it does appear to become more bloated and cluttered. I do like it though (putting tabs to sleep is cool). But I've happily been using Firefox in Windows 11 and on Android 12 for a while now. Speed is quick, nice little customisations here and there, and it does what I need it do. Browse the web. Save some bookmarks. Block some ads. :)

Soldato
I alternate between Firefox and Opera (Edge and Chrome aren't for me), Firefox is still my primary (has been since the very early days). Opera does work better when i just need a single tab or two open on the second screen whilst gaming, FF will just slowly eat memory sitting there with just a single tab doing nothing (Opera deals with that better, and will sleep tabs). Same setup on both, just adblock installed, like both for different uses(Opera's built in VPN can be handy, rarely needed although welcome when it is) but FF will always be my primary.

Man of Honour
Ffirefox is horrible. Edge is much better.

Though there are areas where Edge is better for performance and support - including HDR video and some sites stream a higher level of quality video if you use Edge :( overall I find Firefox a much more useable browser.

Soldato
Edge's OS integration means they use a stricter Microsoft DRM pipeline. This is why you need to use Edge for high resolution/bitrate streams from commercial sites.

Man of Honour
Edge's OS integration means they use a stricter Microsoft DRM pipeline. This is why you need to use Edge for high resolution/bitrate streams from commercial sites.

Dunno why they bother - these days such DRM is easily defeated. (Probably one of the reasons there is a push for TPM support - but even then there are fully HDCP compatible 4K capture devices).

Associate
I have been using FF for years, cant even remember how many. I stand by it, I think it is great, and the security and privacy features are great, I feel safe using it. I had thought about DuckDuckGo but I just like using FF too much.

Man of Honour
This is a weird one. My wife broke her pc earlier (turned off at the wall while windows was updating) and once I had fixed it I noticed that over the last few days she has had several zero byte Firefox html downloads. I presumed she had been just clicking on any old random nonsense in Facebook so deleted them and did a virus scan. It came up all clear so I would check it again in a couple of days. Now I have just had one downloaded on my computer while viewing this forum, didn't click on anything I just noticed the download icon flash in the top right corner of the screen. Same sort of thing, zero byte Firefox html file with a filename made up of seemingly random upper and lower case letters. Clicking on it just opens a blank web page. I deleted it and ran a virus check which came back clear. What on earth is going on?

Soldato
This is a weird one. My wife broke her pc earlier (turned off at the wall while windows was updating) and once I had fixed it I noticed that over the last few days she has had several zero byte Firefox html downloads. I presumed she had been just clicking on any old random nonsense in Facebook so deleted them and did a virus scan. It came up all clear so I would check it again in a couple of days. Now I have just had one downloaded on my computer while viewing this forum, didn't click on anything I just noticed the download icon flash in the top right corner of the screen. Same sort of thing, zero byte Firefox html file with a filename made up of seemingly random upper and lower case letters. Clicking on it just opens a blank web page. I deleted it and ran a virus check which came back clear. What on earth is going on?
Not seen anything like that across our PCs.

Some recent discussion here that sounds similar to what you're describing.

Might be worth skimming over the thread just to see if anything correlates.

Soldato
Can firefox cast onto another device yet? I have chromecast and the only way I can display my desktop on it is using google chrome and I dont use google chrome....

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Not seen anything like that across our PCs.

Some recent discussion here that sounds similar to what you're describing.

Might be worth skimming over the thread just to see if anything correlates.

Cheers for that, it's exactly the same as we have had happening and nobody seems to know why. Most annoying!!

Soldato
It'll be the 'helpful' new auto-download feature (simplification...)

The server is going to be presenting an invalid MIME type & zero-byte file instead of an error page, which Firefox then helpfully downloads.

The entire feature is trash, but try telling the devs that you don't want to automatically download anything downloadable :rolleyes:

Soldato
It'll be the 'helpful' new auto-download feature (simplification...)

The server is going to be presenting an invalid MIME type & zero-byte file instead of an error page, which Firefox then helpfully downloads.

The entire feature is trash, but try telling the devs that you don't want to automatically download anything downloadable :rolleyes:

In Nightly they've brought back the download prompt box.

Soldato
Can firefox cast onto another device yet? I have chromecast and the only way I can display my desktop on it is using google chrome and I dont use google chrome....

I don't think they plan to add CC support any time soon. There was this add-on but it's been left in limbo for a good long while now, and was pretty buggy last time I tried it: https://hensm.github.io/fx_cast/

Edge supports CC since it's built on Chromium so that's one alternative you could try.

Which CC model is it? If it's CCwGTV you could use something like Steam Link/etc to mirror to it.

EDIT: Oh, the add-on was updated a month ago (previous update was back in 2020). Might give it another try.

Back
Top Bottom