Why you SHOULD be using Firefox

Soldato
Oh, they reverted the font rendering change. Having a deeper look at bugzilla I didn't realise ClearType was such a mess, storing values in different places, and Firefox only looking at values for the main display which can mess things up for those who use multiple monitors.

EDIT: For those that did the registry fix you'll have to undo those before updating: https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/10ed7o2/comment/j4qar9y/

Last edited:
Soldato
Been on Firefox for aeons, I don't think it's as snappy as Chrome tbh, but I hate Google and I'm happy supporting the "indie" and I like the comfort level I have with it after so many years.

Soldato
https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/110.0/releasenotes/

Version 110.0, first offered to Release channel users on February 14, 2023

New:​

• It's now possible to import bookmarks, history and passwords not only from Edge, Chrome or Safari but also from Opera, Opera GX, and Vivaldi for all the folks who want to move over to Firefox instead!
  • GPU sandboxing has been enabled on Windows.
    Note: A bug in the popular X-Mouse Button Control (XMBC) tool may cause mouse wheel scrolling to stop working. The author(s) are working on an update. Meanwhile, scrolling can be restored by reconfiguring XMBC: either disable the Make scroll wheel scroll window under cursor option in the global settings, or enable the Disable scroll window under cursor option if using a custom profile for Firefox.
  • On Windows, third-party modules can now be blocked from injecting themselves into Firefox, which can be helpful if they are causing crashes or other undesirable behavior.
  • Date, time, and datetime-local input fields can now be cleared with Cmd+Backspaceand Cmd+Deleteshortcut on macOS and Ctrl+Backspaceand Ctrl+Deleteon Windows and Linux.
  • GPU-accelerated Canvas2D is enabled by default on macOS and Linux.
  • WebGL performance improvement on Windows, MacOS and Linux.
  • Enables overlay of hardware-decoded video with non-Intel GPUs on Windows 10/11, improving video playback performance and video scaling quality.

Fixed:​

Changed:​

• Colorways are no longer available in Firefox, at least not in the same way. You can still access your saved and active Colorways by selecting Add-ons and themes from the Firefox menu. Additionally, you can now install Colorways from all of the previous collections by visiting Colorways by Firefox on the Mozilla Add-ons website.

Enterprise:​

Developer:​

Web Platform:​

• Firefox now supports CSS named pages, allowing web pages to perform per-page layout and add page-breaks in a declarative manner when printing.
  • Firefox now supports CSS size container queries, see the MDN page for documentation on this feature.

Soldato
I look forward to the month where Mozilla don't fiddle with part of the GUI. :(

What's with the new style focus ring, do they really think having a blue box instead of a dotted line is going to have people flocking to use FF.

Soldato
https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/110.0/releasenotes/

Version 110.0, first offered to Release channel users on February 14, 2023

New:​

• It's now possible to import bookmarks, history and passwords not only from Edge, Chrome or Safari but also from Opera, Opera GX, and Vivaldi for all the folks who want to move over to Firefox instead!
  • GPU sandboxing has been enabled on Windows.
    Note: A bug in the popular X-Mouse Button Control (XMBC) tool may cause mouse wheel scrolling to stop working. The author(s) are working on an update. Meanwhile, scrolling can be restored by reconfiguring XMBC: either disable the Make scroll wheel scroll window under cursor option in the global settings, or enable the Disable scroll window under cursor option if using a custom profile for Firefox.
  • On Windows, third-party modules can now be blocked from injecting themselves into Firefox, which can be helpful if they are causing crashes or other undesirable behavior.
  • Date, time, and datetime-local input fields can now be cleared with Cmd+Backspaceand Cmd+Deleteshortcut on macOS and Ctrl+Backspaceand Ctrl+Deleteon Windows and Linux.
  • GPU-accelerated Canvas2D is enabled by default on macOS and Linux.
  • WebGL performance improvement on Windows, MacOS and Linux.
  • Enables overlay of hardware-decoded video with non-Intel GPUs on Windows 10/11, improving video playback performance and video scaling quality.

Fixed:​

Changed:​

• Colorways are no longer available in Firefox, at least not in the same way. You can still access your saved and active Colorways by selecting Add-ons and themes from the Firefox menu. Additionally, you can now install Colorways from all of the previous collections by visiting Colorways by Firefox on the Mozilla Add-ons website.

Enterprise:​

Developer:​

Web Platform:​

• Firefox now supports CSS named pages, allowing web pages to perform per-page layout and add page-breaks in a declarative manner when printing.
  • Firefox now supports CSS size container queries, see the MDN page for documentation on this feature.

Still no HDR support?

Man of Honour
And there won't be until Windows itself properly supports HDR natively instead of the half baked version we have now. Yes it's fine exclusively under HDR content viewing like gaming or movies, but not in Windows itself which means for web browsing and stuff it's largely pointless because you'll be constantly switching between SDR mode and HDR unless you actually don't care about having washed out and inaccurate colours for SDR content.

Last edited:
Soldato

March 14, 2023

Version 111.0, first offered to Release channel users on March 14, 2023

New​

• Windows native notifications are now enabled.
  • Firefox Relay users can now opt-in to create Relay email masks directly from the Firefox credential manager. You must be signed in with your Firefox Account.
  • We’ve added two new locales: Silhe Friulian (fur) and Sardinian (sc).

Fixed​

Developer​

Web Platform​

• Use of the rel attribute is now supported on form elements, allowing the specification of the relationship between the current document and the form target in a simpler, cross-browser way.
  • Origin private file system access is now enabled, a new storage API that enables web applications to store and retrieve data from and to the filesystem in a sandbox.

Community Contributions​

Soldato
v112 released.

New:
  • Right-clicking on password fields now shows an option to reveal the password.
  • Ubuntu Linux users can now import their browser data from the Chromium Snap package. Currently, this will only work if Firefox is not also installed as a Snap package, but work is underway to address this!
  • Do you use the tab list panel in the tab bar? If so, you can now close tabs by middle-clicking items in that list.
  • You've always been able to un-close a tab by using (Cmd/Ctrl)-Shift-T. Now, that same shortcut will restore the previous session if there are no more closed tabs from the same session to re-open.
  • For all ETP Strict users, we extended the list of known tracking parameters that are removed from URLs to further protect our users from cross-site tracking.
  • Enables overlay of software-decoded video on Intel GPUs in Windows. Improves video down scaling quality and reduces GPU usage.

Fixed:

Changed:
  • The deprecated U2F Javascript API is now disabled by default. The U2F protocol remains usable through the WebAuthn API. The U2F API can be re-enabled using the security.webauth.u2f preference.

Enterprise:

Developer:

Web Platform:
  • Clear button, newly added to the date picker panel, allows users to quickly clear the input with type date or datetime-local and provides a familiar experience across browsers.

Community Contributions:
  • With the release of Firefox 112, we are pleased to welcome the developers who contributed their first code change to Firefox in this release!

Associate
Thought i'd ask here.

What is firefox sync?

I've got two desktops both with FF signed in, syncing does nothing? Besides a few links to tabs that are open on other machine. I've disabled saved passwords, but even so the tabs don't auto open.

Man of Honour
Sync works great, I use it across all my devices, phone, desktop, car etc. It syncs logins for sites, autofill for apps that use the same sites, password management and lookup (secured with fingerprint on mobile), tab sync between devices etc, can then send tabs to any device or view tabs open on other devices. It just works.

It also warns you if your saved logons have been found in any breaches via haveibeenpwned, so you know if certain sites need to be updated with a new password accordingly.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thought i'd ask here.

What is firefox sync?

I've got two desktops both with FF signed in, syncing does nothing? Besides a few links to tabs that are open on other machine. I've disabled saved passwords, but even so the tabs don't auto open.
It's like Chome sync. It syncs bookmarks, passwords, history, extensions, browser settings, etc.

As for open tabs on other devices, you need to press the Firefox icon on the top left, next to the tabs. That will open Firefox view and you should see a "Tab pickup" option, it doesn't automatically open tabs on other devices.

Soldato
Does anyone have any isses with the Outlook website using Firefox? On both my work Windows and home Apple machines it is incredibly slow to load anything and at times doesn't load at all. Really tempted to go back to Chrome at the moment.

Soldato
Does anyone have any isses with the Outlook website using Firefox? On both my work Windows and home Apple machines it is incredibly slow to load anything and at times doesn't load at all. Really tempted to go back to Chrome at the moment.
all good here, but I am a few versions back (111.0.1) with auto update disabled.

Soldato
It seems fine to me, certainly doesn't seem any slower than usual.

Man of Honour
Been on Firefox for aeons, I don't think it's as snappy as Chrome tbh, but I hate Google and I'm happy supporting the "indie" and I like the comfort level I have with it after so many years.

Bit a of a difficult one to describe but I find Chrome gives the presentation of being more responsive - it feels more immediate for a lot of stuff - but when you actually get down to more performance hogging situations I find Firefox holds up where Chrome fades.

Back
Top Bottom