Why you SHOULD be using Firefox

Soldato
Hmm chrome isn't doing it

Is there stuff that Firefox leaves behind when uninstalled ?

Maybe I should delete that and try again ?
No issues with Firefox crashing for me either.

If you want to delete everything after uninstalling Firefox, type the below locations into File Explorer and delete the Mozilla folders. Beware that you will erase your Firefox data, including cookies, passwords, etc.

%appdata%
%localappdata%
%programdata%
C:\Program Files (x86) (delete the Mozilla Maintenance Service folder)
C:\Program Files (delete the Mozilla Firefox folder)

If you want to backup your passwords, etc before deleting the above folders, you just need to copy the Mozilla folder from %appdata% to somewhere else safe.

Last edited:
Soldato
@Roadrunner_668
No, that's not usual for this or any other upgrade. Did you try a refresh? Did you try a new profile (about:profiles)? Stuff like this is usually a buggy extension, or sometimes a corrupt profile. You can test a new profile without uninstalling, or losing any of your existing data. That will rule out both extensions and the profile itself, as a new profile will start from scratch and still keep your original profile on ice.

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone else experience the issue of Firefox (on the remote desktop) crashing when you RDP into it? It's the one thing stopping me from switching back to Firefox, I often remote into my desktop from my laptop and Firefox crashes upon establishing the connection about 50% of the time. There's a few bug reports about it but they were supposedly marked as fixed a few years ago, disabling remote audio makes it happen less frequently but doesn't stop it altogether

Soldato
Well I've moved away from Chrome the last couple of days after their ridiculous draconian war on ad blockers hitting youtube. I dont even have a YT blocker installed only Ad Block for the wider internet yet it still grinds to a halt during the last few days, so it can go do one and its now completely uninstalled on all my devices

Soldato
Well I've moved away from Chrome the last couple of days after their ridiculous draconian war on ad blockers hitting youtube. I dont even have a YT blocker installed only Ad Block for the wider internet yet it still grinds to a halt during the last few days, so it can go do one and its now completely uninstalled on all my devices

The issue was with Ad block not ad blockers in general, UBO was unaffected.

Soldato
As another comment mentioned, it was a bug with Adblock and Adblock Plus:https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...ideo-and-site-performance-for-ad-block-users/

uBlock Origin in unaffected.

Either way for better adblocking, Firefox and uBo will work best, especially once Google retires manifest v2 from Chromium.

Soldato
I have to admit that I'm a little worried for uBlock Origin right now. They've removed the "Purge all caches" button to help with bandwidth costs - I hope this isn't some sort of way of hinting they need help with bandwidth costs. :(

This is the cost of how much bandwidth uBO currently incurs on each server freely hosting the filter lists -- keep in mind these lists are updated every few days. The lists are currently freely hosted on a couple of servers, each of those servers see the kind of bandwidth shown above if not more. And notice that the price tag above is only for North America.

If we let this sort of bandwidth usage grow unbound, it's not going to be free anymore, and you can see the sort of cost we would face -- it's essentially an end to the project.

Version 1.54.0 of uBO will support differential updates, this should significantly reduce bandwidth while having lists update more often.

Soldato
I have to admit that I'm a little worried for uBlock Origin right now. They've removed the "Purge all caches" button to help with bandwidth costs - I hope this isn't some sort of way of hinting they need help with bandwidth costs. :(

I suspect it's more to do with more users purging cache to update their filter lists every time Youtube does something new to get around adblockers, no longer needed with differential updates.

Associate
I follow this fella on youtube and he always has a few videos on different browsers this week its Firefox variant.

Soldato
OP
I follow this fella on youtube and he always has a few videos on different browsers this week its Firefox variant.

What I don't like about that feature that allows you to set the browser string to chrome is it doesn't convince web developers to code their application in an browser agnostic way and just further chromifies the web.

Man of Honour
Mow much RAM /CPU do your Firefoxes use when viewing this rather larger screenshot gallery I have been curating over the years:

I notice that Edge basically pre-caches very little, t loads content on the fly as you scroll, whereas Firefox pre-caches the vast majority of the page so as you scroll it's already cached, different rendering intents. Vastly different memory usage and CPU hit too...

Both browsers (tabs shared between 2 side by side windows) minimised:
61icdJd.png

Both browsers maximised (all 4 windows, similar tabs on each too inc the IMGur gallery open in one):
ioTIcLU.png

With the IMGr gallery tab closed, memory usage in Firefox typically settles at around 3-5GB and idle CPU use.

Last edited:
Soldato
The problem is not the browser, it's something you've added/changed. The gallery minimized uses 0% CPU. While open it uses maybe 2%. Lots of scrolling will jack it up to 30 ish but returns to 0 soon after. Ram usage was barely over 1GB.

Basically, my FF numbers are the same as the Edge numbers. i.e. your FF is f'd up.

Back
Top Bottom