Will jogging get you fit?

Suspended
If you've never really run or jogged before and then go and start doing loads of it on concrete you should be careful, grass is a lot easier to run on as it gives a bit when your foot lands, when I started running properly one of my friends who runs at competition level showed me various ways of minimizing damage to knees.

Im sure Google can help find all the technical gumf.

Tom

Soldato
I've been out running at least 5 times a week for the past 5 weeks now and I'm noticing a difference :D My moobs are gradually dissapearing lol :p

I've always felt overweight or 'well built' ( :rolleyes: ) and It's about time I got in shape.

I live on the outskirts of a small town and there's plenty of woodland and fields around me, the first time I went out it took me 45 minutes, I was huffing and puffing like a bafoooon and I had to rest about 3 times. Now i'm running about 20% further, don't have to rest at all and can do it in about 15 minutes.

I think you'll notice an improvement in your stamina and general fitness in the earlier periods, I'm going to give the HIIT idea a go today by sprinting and jogging periodically.

Associate
PhantomKarl said:

Fit for what? Need to decide what level of fitness you're talking about first mate, if it's just a case of wanting to be fit enough to be able to go for walks or up and down stairs without getting a bit out of breath, then yes a decent amount of jogging should get you where you want to be over time. But if you want more than that then it probably won't be enough on it's own, although without knowing a bit more about your current state of fitness and size etc it's hard to be exact :)

Soldato
Isn't sex one of the best forms of exercise?

Jogging will improve your heart but knacker your joints (not the ones you smoke) in the long term...

Associate
AthlonTom said:
If you've never really run or jogged before and then go and start doing loads of it on concrete you should be careful, grass is a lot easier to run on as it gives a bit when your foot lands,

Tom

True, but the only problem being grass surfaces tend to be unpredicatable and thus you can easily end up twisting an ankle or something if there is a divot etc.
I much prefer to run on concrete (have done so several times a week for over a decade and my knees feel stronger and more stable than ever!) or even a dry "dirt track"

Soldato
PhantomKarl said:
Just started jogging to get fit just wondering how soon I will feel the benefit of it. Is there a certain distance you have to go to improve your fitness?

TO summarise...

There are roughly three types of fitness.

1) Strength

2) Aerobic

3) Flexibility

And more specifically, there is fitness to a particular event. I already did weights when I started rock climbing, but at the beginning my forearms were no-where near developed enough for my tastes.

If you run well, you will be a good runner. This doesn't neccessarily make you adapted to all sports, or genreally 'fit' but running is an excellent aerobic cardio excercise...

Soldato
Spacky said:
Yes it will get you fit but knacker your knees up in years to come, speed walking is far more safer.

Yup. I permanently damaged my knees from jogging - not warming up/down and bad shoes :( Now I have to do a womanly speed strutt. :o

Associate
My sister has never run in her life, her knees are shot and have been operated on several times. I run 5 days a week, have done for years. My knees are great. I take gluscosamine sulphate , which helps repair and maintain joint cartliage, I don't know whether I need to or not, but if it helps stop me worrying.

And like someone has already posted, my only experience of injuries from running has been from overtraining. And in terms of weight loss, its great, I run around 5-6 hours a week, which burns up around 4500 calories. If I didn't eat enough food to compensate I could easily burn off a pound a week (3500 calories to remove one pound) . However I kinda like having a bit more physical presence than a rake, so I tend to eat enough to maintain my weight.

Soldato
Spacky said:
Concrete plus knees = bad
Mud plus knees = good

well i'm a personal trainer and last time i checked distance running on mud is bad! yes it takes the impact out of the knee but what you are opening up is a whole world where you could quite easily twist your knee. prime example michael owen!

my advice join a gym or buy a rowing machine (the latter is a far better way of improving both cardiovascular fitness and muscular endurance!

Soldato
PhantomKarl said:

Yes. I lost 6 1/2 stone by jogging and lifting weights. More like running than jogging. But I broke mental pain barriers and pushed through the pain to drop weight extremely fast.

It will make you fit.

Soldato
asim said:
Yes. I lost 6 1/2 stone by jogging and lifting weights. More like running than jogging. But I broke mental pain barriers and pushed through the pain to drop weight extremely fast.

It will make you fit.

Well done :) Just a few qs: How often did you go out running for? I'm guessing that you did more intense running over shorter periods of time rather than long distance?

Soldato
Andelusion said:
Well done :) Just a few qs: How often did you go out running for? I'm guessing that you did more intense running over shorter periods of time rather than long distance?

I went running everyday for around 20-25 minutes at most. It was basically starting off with a jog and then increasing the pace until I could no longer run, I did that 3 times and then would either do an hour of weights or get something to eat a bit later.

I always felt like the fastest way to drop bodyfat was intense cardio. It was a real shock to the body and would keep the metabolism high for continous fat burning throughout the day. Once I had lost all the weight I continued the running and it allowed me to eat foods I'd been scared to touch incase I'd gain weight.

Im a bit smarter now so if I was to do it again my diet would be a lot better, I was eating very little which aided in dropping a lot of weight extremely fast but was very unhealthy.

Associate
I just started following a beginner's plan yesterday which I got from a Runner's World book. It's a 24-week thing where by you start off running 30s / walking 2 mins, repeat x12. You do this four times a week and they gradually increase your running time so at week 24 where you will be running continuously for 30 minutes, which is probably about 5k. 24 weeks seems a long time though to me, so I was going to increase my running time every 3 sessions instead of 4. That way you can get to 30 mins running in 18 weeks which is 1.5 months sooner.

Back
Top Bottom