• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Will Ryzen 6000 CPUs be based on the N6 fab process (Warhol chip) and release in 2021?

Associate
More times than not, those investors/market watchers and so called analysts have no clue what is actually going on in the industry.
LOL - must have imagined my DDR4-3200 working just fine out of the box

LOL at people thinking they are representing the whole market :D you would be surprised how many people cannot run simple ram on their simple XMP profiles out of the box on AMD platform

Permabanned
It is a legacy issue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/780non/ddr4_3200_issues/

"Hey there guys, I recently built a hefty computer. I know that DDR4 3200 wasn't working on AM4 chipsets because bios until a few patches ago (or the last patch I don't remember). Regardless, I know it works so I bought it knowing I'd get it to work either now or in the future.

I tried enabling it through AXMP profile 1, tried to manually dial in that it was 3200. Am I just stupid? Or do I have to do both AXMP and set it to 3200 at the same time. Or is there another convoluted way.

And yes my bios has the latest update if you're wondering."

"My 32Gb kit will not run at 3200 whatever I try. I have it set to the XMP and set the speed to 29somthingorother. Maybe there with be a BIOS update or I'll dig in to the settings but to be honest I'm not sure if I would notice the difference."

Caporegime
It is a legacy issue.

"Hey there guys, I recently built a hefty computer. I know that DDR4 3200 wasn't working on AM4 chipsets because bios until a few patches ago (or the last patch I don't remember). Regardless, I know it works so I bought it knowing I'd get it to work either now or in the future.

I tried enabling it through AXMP profile 1, tried to manually dial in that it was 3200. Am I just stupid? Or do I have to do both AXMP and set it to 3200 at the same time. Or is there another convoluted way.

"My 32Gb kit will not run at 3200 whatever I try. I have it set to the XMP and set the speed to 29somthingorother. Maybe there with be a BIOS update or I'll dig in to the settings but to be honest I'm not sure if I would notice the difference."

This is a 3 year old thread, are you ####'### serious with this crap?

Caporegime
The point still stands. Could you please prove how on Earth will you run DDR4-4000 on a B550?

Ryzen 9 5900X.

I don't, i have my 3200Mhz 32GB kit overclocked to 3400Mhz, you need to be posing that question to @Armageus

AMD had RAM issues with Zen 1 early on, that is what your thread is about.

It was solved with later BIOS revisions, and improved with Zen+

You're highlighting something which at one time was true and applying it to now, wrongly.

Soldato
It is a legacy issue.

Llegacy issue? Why you talking crap about Ryzen 2000 memory? Is this 2017?

Stu

Stu

Soldato
X
It is a legacy issue.

XMP is an Intel technology which I'm not convinced works reliably on AMD systems, often not setting voltages correctly... should we blame Intel, AMD or the user for not better understanding how to setup a system?

Soldato
OP
I think a lot of OC forum users seem to only be interested in graphics cards at the moment. Nvidia has received very little praise for their initial move to address the supply situation, I think because it's such a polarized issue - And not one they are responsible for (in my view, it's caused by the poorly thought out Proof of Work algorithm).

If a 8 core Rocket Lake 11700 / 11700F (non K version) could be had for ~£300, I think Intel would be onto a winner there, I'm assuming they will charge more than the Comet Lake 10700 /10700F CPUs. Does anyone think gamers will 'need' more than DDR4 4000mhz in their PCs, to optimally play games released in the next 3-4 years? This is just so I can decide whether to wait until DDR5 motherboards, or buy high end DDR4 RAM sometime this year.

EDIT - Apparently, the EU price of the 11700F is just €282, which is ~£245, just a 4.1% increase in price, although I don't know if these prices include VAT.
Link here:
https://www.techpowerup.com/277443/intel-rocket-lake-s-processors-european-pricing-leaked

The Rocket Lake models replacing the 10 core Comet Lake CPUs are apparently getting a price reduction, to make up for the reduction in cores to 8.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Looks very possible, similar to another roadmap I saw a while ago. If the 6nm fab process utilizes EUV, I think most of the performance improvement will come from higher clock frequencies, with little to no IPC improvement. Maybe they will improve the memory controller too? Looks like it will be out before Alder Lake.

I think people waiting for an early release of Zen 4 + platform upgrade in 2022 will be a bit disappointed, but this was what I thought they'd do, with zen 4 likely to release 1 year later than 'warhol'.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Looks very possible, similar to another roadmap I saw a while ago. If the 6nm fab process utilizes EUV, I think most of the performance improvement will come from higher clock frequencies, with little to no IPC improvement. Maybe they will improve the memory controller too? Looks like it will be out before Alder Lake.

I think people waiting for an early release of Zen 4 + platform upgrade in 2022 will be a bit disappointed, but this was what I thought they'd do, with zen 4 likely to release 1 year later than 'warhol'.

Yea, probably a mixture of a small IPC gain and a small bump in clocks with Zen 3+, another 10% would just make Intel's life that much more difficult, its no reason to upgrade from Zen 3. Isn't it funny how these days we are sniffing at 10% performance gains?

Zen 4 looks like the sort of jump from Zen 1 to Zen 2

Permabanned
i'm thinking they will not release warhol .. and drive into zen 4 qtr 4 maybe on 6nm or 5nm .. if they can then they should .. not giving intel room to come back is there best option .
then there 2 steps in front .the 5 series is holding well and there would be no point to offer a small increase.

Caporegime
i'm thinking they will not release warhol .. and drive into zen 4 qtr 4 maybe on 6nm or 5nm .. if they can then they should .. not giving intel room to come back is there best option .
then there 2 steps in front .the 5 series is holding well and there would be no point to offer a small increase.
Sometimes they release these "interim" or "Tick" CPU's to test architectural tweaks and/or new microcode. Plus they can't move to 5nm until Apple are done hogging it, as TSMC's second largest customer it looks like AMD's strategy is to take over the node Apple are moving out of, Apple start 3nm risk production late this year.

Associate
It is a legacy issue.

Anything above 3200 speed is buyer beware since the CPU only promises ddr3200 - if your motherboard says it supports it then it probably does work.

I'm using a 5950x, Asrock X570 Tiachi with 128gb of ddr3200 HyperX fury ram and it just worked fine on its XMP setting.

Out of interest going from ddr2400 to ddr3200 sped things up just 4% getting my compile down to ~128 mins.

Permabanned
Sometimes they release these "interim" or "Tick" CPU's to test architectural tweaks and/or new microcode. Plus they can't move to 5nm until Apple are done hogging it, as TSMC's second largest customer it looks like AMD's strategy is to take over the node Apple are moving out of, Apple start 3nm risk production late this year.
yep later this yr qtr4 ..perfect time to release zen 4?

Back
Top Bottom