Windows 10

Regarding the free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, does anyone know the answer to these questions:

1. When you upgrade, is your original Windows 7 install folder (and any associated rubbish) deleted to free up space, or is it simple to do it yourself once you're happy it's running ok?

2. If you upgrade for free, what constitutes a "hardware change" that would require a new retail/OEM copy of Windows 10? I need to update my mobo/CPU soon...

Yes there is.

Your 7/8.1 license remains as a retail 7/8.1 license. You can carry on transferring it around to whatever machine you like forever.

But you can also upgrade a device to Windows 10 for free. However that isn't transferable. If you move to a new PC you will need to install your 7/8.1 again, and then upgrade to 10 again. If you do this in the first year that upgrade is free. If you do it after a year it will cost you.

Ah ok thanks. So basically if I'm going to upgrade or replace my machine, do it within a year of release and I'll get Win10 on the new one free :)

tbh i like how some people are now agreeing/understanding on how the free win10 upgrade will work but i was the first person to say how the free win10 upgrade will be even way before MS said it.. i.e it won't be transferable, the release date, etc, and i got aload of **** off some people saying no im totally wrong, impossible, stop posting ****, etc

Last edited:
Regarding the free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, does anyone know the answer to these questions:

1. When you upgrade, is your original Windows 7 install folder (and any associated rubbish) deleted to free up space, or is it simple to do it yourself once you're happy it's running ok?

2. If you upgrade for free, what constitutes a "hardware change" that would require a new retail/OEM copy of Windows 10? I need to update my mobo/CPU soon...

1. not too sure as I've never done the upgrade from 7 to 10 but once you have done the upgrade you can do a clean install of 10 once your windows 7 key is flagged for windows 10 use so will keep the clutter to a minimum

2. I wouldn't do the W10 upgrade until you have upgraded your cpu and mobo as this will be classed as a new system.

im looking forward to W10 once its released.

I tested one of the older builds and had no issues, only went back to 7 to rule out the OS causing issues with the SSD.

I still don't like the start menu\charms\metro UI but classic shell gets around all that so happy to use it lol

Very much off-topic, but Rroff, if you really do want to improve Microsoft's code base then please do get involved with their open source projects. The've open sourced a lot of their stuff over the last few months and accept contributions from anyone (subject to code reviews, obviously). Examples include ASP.NET MVC and EntityFramework.

Last edited:
I have win10 reserved - had intended to give it a go on D-Day, but* been reading some issues with my sound card on win 10 (and win 8, last time support seemed to exist was for win 7), something I'm quite dissapointed about, just been on asusrog forum before this post to check on any updates and a forum member has posted today

"Got an official response from Asus' support to the question "will there ever be a win 10 driver?". Answer: "Go to our support page, select your operating system, download drivers. Sometimes an old driver works on a new system, good luck".

Making me quite hesitant to upgrade :-/
"

I have win10 reserved - had intended to give it a go on D-Day, but* been reading some issues with my sound card on win 10 (and win 8, last time support seemed to exist was for win 7), something I'm quite dissapointed about, just been on asusrog forum before this post to check on any updates and a forum member has posted today

"Got an official response from Asus' support to the question "will there ever be a win 10 driver?". Answer: "Go to our support page, select your operating system, download drivers. Sometimes an old driver works on a new system, good luck".

"

sounds like Asus doesn't even know either if its going to work or not lol.

take it you have tried the windows 8.1 drivers for it?

Loving the latest build, running it on my work laptop at the moment (not brave enough to upgrade my gaming rig).
Only gripe I have is that I can't use my O365 (work or personal) account to sync my settings/use the one drive

1. not too sure as I've never done the upgrade from 7 to 10 but once you have done the upgrade you can do a clean install of 10 once your windows 7 key is flagged for windows 10 use so will keep the clutter to a minimum

2. I wouldn't do the W10 upgrade until you have upgraded your cpu and mobo as this will be classed as a new system.

Cheers yeah I suspected as much with #2... I have an i5-2500K which still seems really solid but maybe starting to limit the rest of my setup...

Think I will wait for a bit and then upgrade.

im looking forward to W10 once its released.

I tested one of the older builds and had no issues, only went back to 7 to rule out the OS causing issues with the SSD.

I still don't like the start menu\charms\metro UI but classic shell gets around all that so happy to use it lol

Agreed, classic start is genius with Windows 10, you can flip between each menu with ease giving the best of both worlds.

Classic start gives you quick access for people who use more than just a few 'Apps' lol (I hate that they call them Apps now), and want to get into more functionality. Love the new themes, classic start and other menus changing colour to match wallpaper as they switch. The whole OS looks slick and polished. Is really fast to. Yeah best Windows yet imho.

It would appear that if anyone has not yet installed a Preview Build of Windows 10, then it is to late to do so now.

Apparently the Product Code will no longer activate ISO copies, and Microsoft have disabled the upgrade installation link from the Insiders Preview page.

Not entirely unreasonable I suppose, but to someone who was planning to install it on three PC's tomorrow it's a right PITA! :(

"

What sound card is it?

"

Asus has been utterly shambolic when it comes to drivers. I've been trying to download the Win 10 drivers, but only ever get broken links.

Does anybody know when Windows 10 Retail will be available on the OcUK online store for buying? I am surprised
there is no pre order for it yet since the the final RTM is meant to be finally released on the 29th.

Or once the final RTM version is released, is microsoft only doing the free upgrade thing at first then releasing the
full OEM and Retail purchase versions a little while after they have started dishing out the free upgrade?

Last edited:
Does anybody know when Windows 10 Retail will be available on the OcUK online store for buying? I am surprised
there is no pre order for it yet since the the final RTM is meant to be finally released on the 29th.

Or once the final RTM version is released, is microsoft only doing the free upgrade thing at first then releasing the
full OEM and Retail purchase versions a little while after they have started dishing out the free upgrade?

I think I saw it mentioned on Zdnet that Physical copies wouldn't be available until sometime in August.

Back
Top Bottom