Windows 10

Soldato
How do you tell?

Surely somebody will come up with a way to disable the data collection stuff?

You got to 'Settings', 'Privacy', 'Feedback & Diagnostics'. Here you can see options for Microsoft data collection from your PC. You can't turn it off, but you can turn it to 'Basic'. So your PC will still send info to MS just not as much as it would on default 'Full' mode.

Also worth turning off 'Location', 'Get to know me' and all the Apps that automatically have access to your data lol. How much bloody data do the need :D

Associate
Thanks, I've followed that guide like a bible and nothing.

Tried everything known to man, last resort it to use the creation tool, download Windows 10 and see if I can bypass the entering a serial key. It's a Acer COA OEM licence so should be fine.

I would just try running from inside windows and go along with the upgrade process. You should not be asked for a serial that way.

Soldato
For everyone have Issues with upgrading to windows 10.

I have a idea why doesn't everyone just wait there turn. Don't force the update. MS has put everyone in a Q system. Just wait for MS to send you the update.

Soldato
Ive used the Tool on MS's website to download the pro 64 bit iso.. but i cannot install it as it claims its 32 bit.. spite me selecting twice now to download the 64 bit version in the Tool as well as both versions combined.. Stupid piece of garbage.

Associate
Hi there can you help me ? I got few question and I cant find the answers.
1. Windows 10 licence is per user or per device?
2. I heard something about privacy problems with windows 10 is this true?

Man of Honour
OP
You got to 'Settings', 'Privacy', 'Feedback & Diagnostics'. Here you can see options for Microsoft data collection from your PC. You can't turn it off, but you can turn it to 'Basic'. So your PC will still send info to MS just not as much as it would on default 'Full' mode.

Also worth turning off 'Location', 'Get to know me' and all the Apps that automatically have access to your data lol. How much bloody data do the need :D

A lot if you want to take full advantage of w10. Seeing as OneDrive is on servers, Cortana which is extremely good is on servers.

Soldato
Phoned Microsoft today as had problems activating and hands down they must have the worst call centre i've ever phoned, you could hardly hear them as the sound quality of the phones they were using was sooooooo bad plus there English wasn't the best also the music they were playing must have been from the 60's played on hardware from the same era

I remember years ago they used a call centre in Ireland and it was always a pleasure to phone them as you could sort out the problem plus have a laugh while doing it

Soldato
Does anyone find the boot up times a lot slower? Using other half's laptop which was pretty fast loading up windows 8 but this is taking a lot longer from HP logo to entering windows on a black screen for a good 1-2 minutes. Defragged the drive but it's not made much difference, shouldn't be as slow as this I wouldn't have thought.

Soldato
Yes. You need to do the upgrade first then once activated you can do a clean install

Cheers :)

One more thing, after I've been upgraded from 8.1 to 10 and activated will i have any problems sticking a new SSD drive in and doing a fresh install from the Windows 10 ISO? I'm assuming Windows 10 is only attached to the motherboard?

Soldato
Cheers :)

One more thing, after I've been upgraded from 8.1 to 10 and activated will i have any problems sticking a new SSD drive in and doing a fresh install from the Windows 10 ISO? I'm assuming Windows 10 is only attached to the motherboard?

Good question that. I dont see it being an issue but not 100% sure. I know the product key is tied to hardware like the motherboard but not sure about the drive. I have done it on my laptop and all went fine (Win 8.1) but not sure about Win 10. Cant see a problem though.

Soldato
Up and running. Main issue I am having is no Creative drivers therefore no sound. Amazing a big company like Creative have nothing on day 1. I have an X-Fi Titanium so it's not even a terribly old card.

Clearly this is your first sharpish upgrade since you had a Creative sound card. They've been woeful for this sort of thing for at least a decade now - and that's only because I can't remember any further back.

It's the reason I moved to a ASUS Xonar DX, but sadly they're no better... thankfully the Unified Windows 8 drivers work fine for that, but it's not through any help from ASUS.

Soldato
There we go, updating. Bit of a hiccup with the windows update, had to delete everything in C:/windows/softwaredistribution/download

Then run cmd as Admin as enter the updatenow command line. All going well!

Permabanned
I didn't get a chance to upload some ISO's to OneDrive or Mega but I will tomorrow at work. I'm off out now so will sort something tomorrow as it appears a lot of places where the ISO'S are stored are been hammered. Links are been saturated all over.

Back
Top Bottom