Windows 10

Associate
Lads if I were you I would wait it out for a week or Two unless you like the idea of being a Microsoft beta tester for free. :p It is always the same with a new OS release to many problems it will be well into the new year before most of the BUGS are fixed.

Soldato
Ok mine is finally activated so yes it does work after a while! Thanks guys!

In terms of the fresh install does anyone know what the best way of doing this is? Should I boot from the USB I made?

Associate
Ok mine is finally activated so yes it does work after a while! Thanks guys!

In terms of the fresh install does anyone know what the best way of doing this is? Should I boot from the USB I made?

Depends how bothered you are. If you just want a fresh windows just let windows reset itself like you could in windows 8.

Otherwise yeh boot from usb or disk and delete all partitions and install.

When you get to the key screen skip it.

Soldato
Guys, has been mentioned numerous times, activation may take some time as the MS servers are betting bombed and hammered by the activation process! Be a bit more patient!

My Win10 notification in taskbar has disappeared about one hour ago,not sure if that is good or bad for my 8.1 upgrade,tomorrow morning having the whole house rewired so guess I can wait a few days while all that is sorted,did get my Avast AV to update about twenty minutes ago however,
New version AVAST 2015 R3 SP1 (build number 2015.10.3.2225) has been released:

Fixes in Avast 2015 R3 SP1:

- Fixed problems with HTTPS browsing on Windows XP SP2
- Fixed problems with email clients on Windows XP SP2
- Fixed issues with firewall during program update and during update on Windows 10

Associate
I would just try running from inside windows and go along with the upgrade process. You should not be asked for a serial that way.

Aye cheers, I've installed it now and hasn't asked for a serial key so I assume it's all good.

I've had a folder encrypted by EFS (Encrypting File System) with the certificate/key backed up onto a USB which died about a week ago and in the haste of installing Windows 10 I've just realized I didn't back it up again and I've already Disk Cleaned to remove any trace of W8.1.

Is it safe to assume those files are forever gone?

Soldato
I think when your pc restarted it booted from the USB and has most likely ruined the old install.

When using the USB or a disk you want to make sure when it restarts it does NOT boot from them. Or it will do the install differently.

So I rolled back, checked I was activated. Then ran the USB upgrade and made sure to remove the USB stick before it rebooted. I'm faced with the same issue again that I cannot activate and it says the last 5 of my key under the activation page is 3V66T which is not a key I own - I believe that's the MS default key.

Could someone that hasn't activated please show me their activate windows page where it says "Your product key info" please?

Soldato
Depends how bothered you are. If you just want a fresh windows just let windows reset itself like you could in windows 8.

Otherwise yeh boot from usb or disk and delete all partitions and install.

When you get to the key screen skip it.

Thanks again!

All of my drive partitions seem messed up so I will do it from the USB. Any idea why an extra System reserved partition is being made on my Non-Windows drive?

Soldato
[ui]ICEMAN;28375817 said:
So I rolled back, checked I was activated. Then ran the USB upgrade and made sure to remove the USB stick before it rebooted. I'm faced with the same issue again that I cannot activate and it says the last 5 of my key under the activation page is 3V66T which is not a key I own - I believe that's the MS default key.

Could someone that hasn't activated please show me their activate windows page where it says "Your product key info" please?

Fixed - I just DMZ'd myself and it worked.

Soldato
this is weird. I upgraded to win10 my laptop which had win8.1 OEM, and I just did slmgr.vbs /dlv in win10 and it's saying it's retail :confused:. but when I did it in win8.1 it said OEM

Soldato
Just before your Pc's started to download the update, did your little tray icon disappear?

One of my PC's which was displaying the tray icon for the last two months right up until yesterday is now missing...

If it doesn't work, I can simply download the media and install from CD as an upgrade?

Back
Top Bottom