Windows 10

Soldato
GF's laptop had become ridiculously slow all of a sudden. I tried several things to try and fix it but to no avail.

I eventually did a clean install of Windows 10. All looked superb. Responsive and back to normal.

Yesterday she turned it on and was greeted by a "Recoving your PC" message, or words to that effect. "There has been a problem booting into windows, try restoring to a previous state". This restore failed and now in a continuous loop.

I'll reinstall windows a fresh again, but worried this will occur again.

Any ideas at all? I guess it could be anything, but from a clean install, fully updated, it seems odd.

Why do laptops always seem to break?

Soldato
Upgraded from W7 recently but have realised programs are there if I search for them, but not actually visible through the start menu list?

Edit: nvm fixed this now, if anyone wants details on how let me know :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Ever since the Anniv. update... on occasion my system doesn't boot to the desktop properly! Usually it's the task bar that doesn't get populated correctly (IE. half the icons in it don't appear) and the others are unresponsive. So no way to even re-boot system, as START button unresponsive! Need to do a hard system reset from the PC. Then it boots cleanly and is fine. No issues and everything runs just fine and dandy.

Nothing obvious in the Windows Event Viewer. Tried running the System File checker and all appears OK. Could try a Windows repair from the system install USB stick and see if that finds anything.

More annoying than anything else.

PS. This is a clean install of Windows 10 (retail version).

Associate
Upgraded to AE with issues, freezing, had to reinstall and activate my partition for 1 of my drives, I gave up in the end and rolled back. I have been looking online but seems there isn't much on it since august and no resolve. I would like to take the chance in a fresh install. Does anyone know if this will work?

I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 its been running fine until this update

If I download the media tool which version would I be downloading?

Man of Honour
MS really needs to get back to the nuts and bolts of the OS and stop spending so much development time on headline/gimmicky features many of which only appeal to a niche of OS users and/or won't be used by anyone at all in the real world outside of a highly idealised concept of the "modern" user.

Man of Honour
Might be Firefox - I find it gets quite bogged down at times these days - definitely needs some tuning under the hood and better/actual multi-threading.

Associate
Tried to install it again this time creating a new local account, this fixed the issue for a while, but it soon returned after a couple of reboots. SSD Samsung evo is my main os drive with a WD 3TB green. Not going to stress over this any more too many wasted hours. Will wait a few more months will try again.

Associate
I dont know if its to do with this update but im having now luck showing preview thumbnails in my download folder this problem is for the mrs account my account shows thumbnails. If i move a picture to the picture folder i get a thumbnail.

Associate
If i download a picture with google chrome in my main account i get a thumbnail picture,But the mrs account if she downloads a picture it wont show the thumbnail,any ideas?

EDIT: Yep the update screwed it up in the end i had to delete her account.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
If you want control over what updates and when to install, you're using the wrong operating system. :p

You should be using a real operating system. Windows 10 is basically one of those older people/less IT capable OSes that happens to have a few advanced features tacked on :p

Associate
Switched on laptop and windows forced the AE update. Left laptop on all night in hotel room for the update, to find that it had rebooted but stuck on MSI startup screen. Laptop now completely borked and having to do a reinstall, since the update has wiped all restore points.
This is abysmal service from MS and everyone should be compensated for it.
Lost faith in MS ever since they shutdown Age of Empires Online servers. Plebs...

Man of Honour
I would be interested to learn what you consider to be "real operating system", which would be suitable for everyone to use?

Basically anything that isn't Windows 10 :p in all seriousness though the OS is quite quickly turning into a shambles - the number of complaints about problems with fundamental functionality from consumers to entities like Which are going through the roof.

Back
Top Bottom