Windows 10

Soldato
Lost faith in MS ever since they shutdown Age of Empires Online servers. Plebs...

I knew they were evil when they took over hotmail back in ye olde internet days. I couldnt log on for a while so be they took over my email address and all the details of people I knew since school now abroad. Used to have my exact name at hotmail
rip

Updating is a great idea in theory, its more secure but theres not enough safe guards built in. It should update a win copy in the background, only switching when sure this is fully capable and yet still retain the current copy available for use immediately. Both copies should be retained for some time after

Soldato
You should be using a real operating system. Windows 10 is basically one of those older people/less IT capable OSes that happens to have a few advanced features tacked on :p

I am using a real operating system... 8.1. But it'll be interesting to see how this months changes will affect the update options. I've already read about the merging of updates here...

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com...ervicing-model-for-windows-7-and-windows-8-1/

I'm wondering if these options will still be intact afterwards...

N1KvTq5.png

I already have a virtual machine setup and ready to go with the testing because I don't want to install the updates on my real pc without seeing the changes first.

Man of Honour
Wondering about that myself - might have to image my Windows 8.1 tablets as I've mostly gone back to them as Windows 10 (not entirely due to the way updates work but that is a large part of it) makes a tablet less useful for its intended functionality :|

Associate
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/item/f6660f2c-6c38-4522-b77a-c0e5e85f9858

Don't have much sympathy for those without backups but good too see the OS is getting the negative press it deserves.

I just love the comment from MS at the end when it states that all builds of windows 10 go through internal testing when everyone knows it can't because they fired all their staff in testing since all testing is being done by the public, and what we have is pretty much a beta product that everyone is testing.

Associate
Upgraded to AE with issues, freezing, had to reinstall and activate my partition for 1 of my drives, I gave up in the end and rolled back. I have been looking online but seems there isn't much on it since august and no resolve. I would like to take the chance in a fresh install. Does anyone know if this will work?

I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 its been running fine until this update

If I download the media tool which version would I be downloading?

same here went from 8.1 to 10 using the free upgrade earlier in the year, i used the media tool method yesterday and it says windows 10 home version 1607 on the settings page. worked perfectly just used the windows 8 key to activate win 10.

Soldato
Basically anything that isn't Windows 10 :p in all seriousness though the OS is quite quickly turning into a shambles - the number of complaints about problems with fundamental functionality from consumers to entities like Which are going through the roof.

i agree windows 10 as some issues but that goes for other OS's also... also by 2023 there will only be windows 10 as older versions will be dead.

even with all complaints about problems MS won't change what their doing

people will have to either live with it or find another OS by 2023

Man of Honour
Sure most OSes have their issues but 10 is fast becoming a joke in terms of issues in basic functionality. Its a shame as 10 has a lot to offer on paper but more and more people are starting to see how misguided and poor the actual implementation is, as I've been saying all along, for themselves - the volume of complaints is snowballing so hopefully in the long run they will have to address it.

So far other than DX12 doesn't seem to be much difference in terms of software support between 7 and 10 and support ending for it isn't really a big deal. If a lot of developers moved to apps/uwp that would be another matter but so far MS seem to be doing their best to put developers off doing that.

Soldato
well depends what version your using. windows 7 support ends by 2020. thats only 3 years away.

I'll bet you the government are still using Windows 7 after 2020. They'll do what they always do and pay Microsoft stupid money for extended support, exactly as they did with Windows XP.

Less of an issue for end users. I've already migrated to Linux this year, and have a Windows install just for the games I can't get working on Linux.

Man of Honour
A lot of businesses will still be using Windows 7 for years yet - which normally means MS end up creating security patches anyhow. We had 2 abortive attempts at rolling out 10 at work (nothing to do with me) which ran into unworkable issues* and now they've made the decision to delay any further attempts for 2 years.

*They ended up moving a lot of public facing systems (custom frontend) from Windows Vista/7 to IIRC Archlinux (its some variant beginning with A anyhow) as they wanted to kill off all the Vista machines but 10 wouldn't let them take enough control and they didn't want to spend more money than they had to on 7 now.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am using a real operating system... 8.1. But it'll be interesting to see how this months changes will affect the update options. I've already read about the merging of updates here...

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com...ervicing-model-for-windows-7-and-windows-8-1/

I'm wondering if these options will still be intact afterwards...

N1KvTq5.png

I already have a virtual machine setup and ready to go with the testing because I don't want to install the updates on my real pc without seeing the changes first.

This can be done via gpedit to enable those options.

Man of Honour
i most be lucky as I've not had a issue with windows 10, it's been stable since release.

In terms of more serious issues its mixed - on some of my installs it would do stuff like explorer not responding, start menu destroying itself, etc. while on others that never happened (though explorer would get bogged down doing certain things on all my installs). Not really sure what the rhyme or reason of it is as one system I stripped down to nothing but the CPU and motherboard and it would still have the same bugs happen after awhile - even with a completely different HDD, different RAM, different GPU and signing in with different credentials.

Soldato
In terms of more serious issues its mixed - on some of my installs it would do stuff like explorer not responding, start menu destroying itself, etc. while on others that never happened (though explorer would get bogged down doing certain things on all my installs). Not really sure what the rhyme or reason of it is as one system I stripped down to nothing but the CPU and motherboard and it would still have the same bugs happen after awhile - even with a completely different HDD, different RAM, different GPU and signing in with different credentials.

could it be a issue with the chipset + windows 10?

i had a laptop that when i installed window 10 on it, it would randomly freeze and explorer not responding also if i reboot the screen would go off when it enters windows 10. but having said that it did that on win8/8.1 also. win7 it was fine on

so i bought two other laptops (a gaming laptop and a cheapo laptop) both running windows 10 and I've had no issues with them too

Last edited:
Soldato
So I just tried to plug my external USB 3.0 drive in my main machine's front USB (3.0) to backup and and got nothing... tried the second port and I got my my bsod in Windows 10 :eek:

Then when I eventually get back onto my desktop I see this in device manage:

123.jpg

Everything was fine last month, I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling to no avail.

Any ideas?

Soldato
Seeing as those a 3rd party USB3 controllers (renesas), try getting drivers direct from them. Given it says Microsoft in brackets at the end means you're using the drivers built in to windows which are usually substandard compared to proper manufacturer ones.

Soldato
So due to the way activation works based on hardware ID, it only took one VMware user to activate and it means thousands/millions of other people get to use it without needing to waste a 7/8.1 license. I just clean installed PRO without a product key and it all works fine. :p

GCZIxgZ.png

Back
Top Bottom