Windows 10

Soldato
I did a clean install of W10, I had OS issues with 7 so i needed to re install the OS anyway so thought I would give 10 another go.

I formatted every drive and did everyting from scratch and re downloaded all the games.

I used the windows creation tool.

its a shame as I do like W10 (not everything tho) but every time i try and use W10 on my PC (mobo\cpu\ram are from 2009) i just get issues. No overclocks on anything and only thing changed in the bios is XMP profile to get the ram running from 1333mhz to 1600 mhz.

Maybe ill get a OEM\retail license of W10 when i finally get a new PC.

Soldato
I am now back in Winodws 7.

I cant beleive how much responsive a clean install of W7 is compared to a clean install of W10.

You could not pay me to go back to Win7, I've done three Win10 upgrades to Fall edition via USB Media Creation Tool, all went smooth, no issues to report and I do game a lot as well.

I will say I got back over 40GB on one Fall PC via Windows Disk Cleanup and also removed old Windows version as well since all my stuff is backed up anyway, I run CCleanup as well and Win10 is very responsive :) .

Very happy 10 user here :).

Soldato
You could not pay me to go back to Win7, I've done three Win10 upgrades to Fall edition via USB Media Creation Tool, all went smooth, no issues to report and I do game a lot as well.

I will say I got back over 40GB on one Fall PC via Windows Disk Cleanup and also removed old Windows version as well since all my stuff is backed up anyway, I run CCleanup as well and Win10 is very responsive :) .

Very happy 10 user here :).

I did a clean install of W10 with the new fall update included but i still had issues but W10 is not for me\my PC.

maybe once i ditch my 8 year old mobo\cpu\ram W10 will be better.

Soldato
I've had more than my fair of share of niggles with windows 10 (always clean install from downloaded ISO written to USB) and my hardware is only 2-3 years old. I'm always eager to try a new release when it comes out and it always ends in disappointment. :p

Soldato
I've had more than my fair of share of niggles with windows 10 (always clean install from downloaded ISO written to USB) and my hardware is only 2-3 years old. I'm always eager to try a new release when it comes out and it always ends in disappointment. :p

Must agree with you on that, I want to use W10 but with all the problems I have I cant be bothered putting up with problems till their fixed

Man of Honour
I am now back in Winodws 7.

I cant beleive how much responsive a clean install of W7 is compared to a clean install of W10.

Generally in the real world I find Windows 7 and 8 outperform 10 in actual usage largely due to having less stuff the OS is doing of its own accord in the background.

Though 10 will occasionally boot up quickly the systems I have 8 on, even when setup similarly on older hardware, consistently boot extremely quickly and 7 with a couple of tweaks gives 10 a good run on average.

Soldato
Aye my machine (v old mobo with too many features) takes three times as long to POST as it does to actually load windows.
Boot times in windows since 7 have never been an issue, it is great overall improvement.
I notice under this 10 update it flies, but since the POST takes so long it doesn't really matter.

Windows boots a hell of a lot faster than turning any apple device on and off.

Soldato
What's the simplest way to take back control of windows updates?

Either to go back to the way things were in Window 7 where I manually scanned for updates or just a way for it to either prompt before installing or allow me to stop an update in progress.

Got a couple of systems running on older hard drives (not SSD) and windows updates just kill them. They aren't left on overnight (or ever will be) so I'd rather just do the updates myself when I know they aren't needed.

Running win 10 home so may not be possible.

Soldato
I did a clean install of W10 with the new fall update included but i still had issues but W10 is not for me\my PC.

maybe once i ditch my 8 year old mobo\cpu\ram W10 will be better.

I hate win10 also, but I have learnt to live with in for gaming.. Ive had win10 for about a year now and to be honnest, it hasnt been much of a problem, plus I have tweaked it to work similar to windows 7, so its A ok and I dont think Id go back to windows7 just because I want my pc to run the latest stuff.

Also I have made the default picture viewer as "Windows photo viewer" but windows keeps changing it back to "paint", is there anyway to fix this, so Im not always having to change my default picture viewer all the time?

Permabanned
Mines stays but since FU Windows Picture Viewer is major dark till you hit Slideshow button (full screen).

EDIT : Fixed by new Nvidia driver out today (was on Fall Update built in driver).

Last edited:
Soldato
Mines stays but since FU Windows Picture Viewer is major dark till you hit Slideshow button (full screen).

EDIT : Fixed by new Nvidia driver out today (was on Fall Update built in driver).

I dont think I have had the update yet, I hope it doesn't go dark for me as Im always using the picture viewer.

I cant select the picture viewer in the pc settings part,, I can only select it by right clicking on a picture file and "open with", but it always reverts back to the Paint 3D after a few hrs?

nd7mon.jpg

Permabanned
Hmm not sure if they changed this in FU but when you have a folder set to Picture or Videos and set to Thumbs you could Hide the File names so it looked neater (not file extension), if anyone knows what I mean and can get it back thanks in advance.

Associate
Not sure on that, but anything to do with thumbnails is a pain since the update. I keep losing my thumbnails and having to wait on windows to regenerate them.

I'm currently trying a "fix" I found online, but I wont know if it's actually worked until running it for a while. It's supposed to prevent Automatic Maintenance from deleting the cache.

Code:
Run regedit and navigate to:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Thumbnail Cache

Modify Autoruns DWORD and set its value to 0

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom