Windows 10

Man of Honour
This update is terrible LOL - had 3 people text/phone me so far today as their system either doesn't boot since the update or is running really slowly with the desktop not loading properly.

Man of Honour
Having problems with my second tablet :( it took around 11 hours to update a couple of nights ago and it had just started downloading the update all over again with lots of red messages about missing the latest critical security updates yada yada despite being uptodate AFAIK.

EDIT: "Your device is at risk because it’s out of date and missing important security and quality updates. Let’s get you back on track so Windows can run more securely." keep getting that, then it applies a load of updates which I've already got installed, repeat :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Microsoft Under Fire for Re-Installing Windows 10 Bloatware After Every Update

Bloatware in Windows 10 isn’t quite a new thing, and users have been complaining about this for several years already, but the problem is once again going viral after the release of the April 2018 Update.

A discussion thread on reddit has more than 1,000 comments, many of which are blaming Microsoft for what most call a super-aggressive strategy to promote games and apps that nobody would have cared about otherwise.

This time, it all started after the April 2018 Update re-installed a series of games which users previously removed, including Bubble Witch 3 Saga and Candy Crush Saga. It’s not a secret that many Windows 10 users uninstall these games when upgrading their systems to Windows 10 or perform a clean install, but the recently-launched April 2018 Update brings them back and makes it harder to get rid of them.

While at first glance deleting these apps comes down to a right click and hitting the uninstall button, they typically come back after a reboot. In fact, the whole thing is a bit more complicated, and it requires users to first log in to the Microsoft Store, update all apps and games, and only then remove the ones that they don’t need anymore, including the said games.

Some considering a potential switch

This aggressive tactic is rapidly backfiring for Microsoft, and while we can’t quote many of the comments because of the language angry users have used, there are lots of Windows 10 users considering a potential switch to a different platform.

“This, along with the aggressive auto updates (great in theory, horrible when your PC is inaccessible abruptly for twenty minutes when there's a deadline in your face), is why I'm keeping a close eye on the Chromebook space when it comes time to replace my laptop,” one user said.

“I like Windows, but there's nothing keeping me loyal at this point and these little ‘unprofessional’ touches keep making me feel less and less fond.”

Earlier this year, Microsoft promised to get rid of bloatware in Windows 10, but only for the Workstation SKU, leaving users of Home and Pro to continue their fight with unwanted apps.

We’ve reached out to Microsoft for a word on this and will update the article if an answer is offered.

Soldato
I did notice the amount of rubbish the update installed, removed all of it straightaway.

Not keen on the direction Microsoft have taken which feels like they forcibly tell us what we need rather than listening to its users.

Man of Honour
Microsoft Under Fire for Re-Installing Windows 10 Bloatware After Every Update

They seriously need a massive shake up at MS and removing a few people from project lead or whatever positions and/or getting some people back with actual strategic vision and so on - they are ruining what could be a great OS and having a massive negative impact in the quality of life experience for so many users (spend awhile on the official Windows 10 discussion forum).

An OS should be about enabling the end user not trying to shape the way they work.

V F

V F

Soldato
I did notice the amount of rubbish the update installed, removed all of it straightaway.

Not keen on the direction Microsoft have taken which feels like they forcibly tell us what we need rather than listening to its users.

So where are those users that always told us these forced updates and that Windows 10 is so good for us? :rolleyes:

Just had a mate message me to say the April update has broken his install with a boot loop, he'll be even happier to know that the bloat has been reinstalled after he gets it working again too.

This is getting a bit silly now.

And yes, have noticed the sometimes rather aggressive Microsoft apologists in this sub seem to be absent of late too...

Soldato
Which are the bloat pieces of software out of interest?
Below are two screenshots to demonstrate the amount of bloat installed by default.

27xnkth.png

2motrif.png

The first image is the default installation of Windows, nothing touched or removed, a few minutes after after installation is completed. This is the image I work with in MSMG Toolkit to reduce the bloat. The result is in the second picture. I'm sure most will agree the difference is remarkable.

Do I miss any of it? No, not a single one.

Soldato
Weirdly i don't have half of that.
duollingo, - nope
the adobe one - nope
codewriter - nope
eclipse manager - nope

yet other stuff
calender, calculator, alarms and clock, i have those, and indeed i use those all the time.

Man of Honour
Below are two screenshots to demonstrate the amount of bloat installed by default.

The first image is the default installation of Windows, nothing touched or removed, a few minutes after after installation is completed. This is the image I work with in MSMG Toolkit to reduce the bloat. The result is in the second picture. I'm sure most will agree the difference is remarkable.

Do I miss any of it? No, not a single one.

Hmm, I may well give that a go.

Associate
No crap got reinstalled when I updated thankfully. The other day I did reinstall W10 out of boredom and the amount of bloat on the fresh install was staggering. So much so I couldn't be bothered dealing with it all, so I just restored a fresh, bloat-free system image.

Soldato
How's gaming on Linux these days?

Probably depends what games you play. There's lots of games on Steam that play natively on Linux now. I've been using Linux Mint almost exclusively for nearly two years now, but I mostly play Blizzard games, LoTRO and a few Steam games, all of which will work on Linux, although it requires a little more effort than double-clicking an exe. Wine is constantly improving and has DX11 support now.

I've rarely booted back into Windows since switching. The only notable time was when Blizzard brought out an update that broke WoW on wine. Think I had to play in Windows for about a week that time, but other than that, I've not spent an awful lot of time in BloatWorld at all.

Man of Honour
Actually downloaded latest Ubuntu distro couple of days ago - sadly my usage means going Linux isn't an option but dual booting my GPD Pocket is looking more and more attractive so that I can actually use it when I want to just quickly pick it up and browse, etc. rather than being at the mercy of whatever **** MS pulls next/whatever state update has got itself in.

EDIT: This is starting to **** me off seriously - just booted back into Windows 10 on it and bunch of new icons for bubble something, candy crush and war of lords or something appeared which were not there when I shut down, new edge icons on the desktop, etc. obviously just the links but still and the language toolbar has popped up and activated the US language like someone mentioned before.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom