Windows 10

Soldato
I am really growing tired of Windows 10 setup and Cortona. To clarify, during installation it's at the point where Cortona starts blabbing and you are prompted for your language settings then to create an account.

Sometimes I find I don't get the "Hi there, I'm Cortona" introduction. Or I create a local account, go through the settings, only to be asked to create an account again. I can't use the username I did the first time round, so end up having to restart the entire setup process. This normally happens on slower machines. But it is still annoying.

One workaround I find sometimes works is to pause for a minute at each step. This seems to allow the machine to catch up with tasks in the background.

Man of Honour
Argh updating a system (due to this problem) for someone else to 1803 and it just goes to 59% and back to 0% on installing constantly in a loop :( been doing it since about mid-day and now 1:45am. Haven't looked at the state of the OS in general aside from running some commands to scan system files, etc. just in case :(

Doesn't matter how I try to update it so guess I'm gonna have to go back to them see about backing up data and reinstall fresh.

EDIT: Got to 64% this time - progress :s

EDIT: On the other hand my GPD Pocket seems to have updated to 1803 relatively trouble free other than taking like 4 hours to do so :s still waiting on the other machine - seems to be going up about 5% further now each time before failing.

Last edited:
Soldato
Only just learnt of this new big update as its messed up my parents laptop, running extremely slow, menu lag, screen brightness broken and windows update keeps trying to download 1803 again and fails.

Old laptop as well so was useless for the most of the day apparently when updating.

Just so frustrating that they force all this rubbish on us, it's an old laptop it doesn't need all the new features just security updates.

V F

V F

Soldato
Only just learnt of this new big update as its messed up my parents laptop, running extremely slow, menu lag, screen brightness broken and windows update keeps trying to download 1803 again and fails.

Old laptop as well so was useless for the most of the day apparently when updating.

Just so frustrating that they force all this rubbish on us, it's an old laptop it doesn't need all the new features just security updates.

I remember how much of a pain Vista was. Seeing this stuff today what people are going through and looking back at Vista... Vista updates seem pretty flawless.

Associate
My update to 1803 went fine and a few days later I ran disk clean-up to remove old windows. It seemed to work because I reclaimed about 26GB back, but the windows.old folder still exists in C: and it wont budge :mad:

The folder is 0 bytes and drills down to C:\Windows.old\Users\_____\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy

Soldato
I remember how much of a pain Vista was. Seeing this stuff today what people are going through and looking back at Vista... Vista updates seem pretty flawless.

I don't mind it so much on my own machines as I have Pro so can delay feature updates but Home doesn't seem to give you any control. In the past I turned on metered connections to stop big updates but it stops other things working and always bugs you to turn it off.

Seems the screen brightness issue is common and is down to some change with Intel integrated graphics, tried removing the driver but it just re-installs it on reboot with the issue remaining. The other annoying little thing was the language bar wouldn't turn off and the US language couldn't be removed, seems they've changed the settings for this at some point as its very disjointed over control panel and the new system menus. Just disabled the input taskbar icon in the end.

Caporegime
My update to 1803 went fine and a few days later I ran disk clean-up to remove old windows. It seemed to work because I reclaimed about 26GB back, but the windows.old folder still exists in C: and it wont budge :mad:

The folder is 0 bytes and drills down to C:\Windows.old\Users\_____\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy
From a CMD line
Rd /s /q c:\windows.old\

Soldato
On top of the Intel HD Graphics freezing problems there are reports reboot crashes with some Intel SSDs. Also 1803 doesn’t have the Spectre microcode update that was released for 1709. So upgrading to 1803 downgrades your security (if you don’t have a BIOS with new microcode).

Perhaps the Microsoft dev team have switched to using AMD.

Man of Honour
Seems the problems with certain Intel SSDs are more complex not just reboots and/or crashes while installing but also other issues while installing and/or instability after updating :( the update is blocked now on those devices but a bit late.

The system I was talking about with the install loop above has an Intel SSD and is now blocked from the update.

Man of Honour
They also hard coded some stuff to force re-enable the update services if you've not updated in awhile and if that fails it starts the upgrade assistant - it is really quite obnoxious.

Meanwhile releasing updates that actually can brick your system with limited to no proper control over it...

Soldato
I read all the issues in this post and it makes me glad I am still using Windows 7. I am dreading installing W10 for my sons PC which is a 2200G processor if W10 is causing this many problems.

V F

V F

Soldato
They also hard coded some stuff to force re-enable the update services if you've not updated in awhile and if that fails it starts the upgrade assistant - it is really quite obnoxious.

Meanwhile releasing updates that actually can brick your system with limited to no proper control over it...

Fantastic test team Microsoft has got these days. This is the second update recently they deployed then pulled?

Man of Honour
Oh great, another service I will have to fight to be able to disable updates. I already have to disable the windows update service every other day because Microsoft has snuck something in to keep re-enabling it (windows 10 pro). Before any smart alec chimes in with "it's idiotic to disable windows update" I have it disabled so that I can check for updates when I want to, not when Microsoft wants me to. This way I give the latest updates a miss for a couple of weeks to see if people are having any problems with them and this tactic has paid off on several occasions. They give us the option to pause updates for 35 days in settings/updates and security/advanced but it just ignores that because I was wondering why my pc was taking so long to shut down the other night so looked at the screen only to see "please wait configuring windows updates". Really!! What is the ******* point in giving us a option if they have no intent on paying any attention to what we have chosen. The delay feature updates "choice" is little better as it still forced the gaming update on me along with the extra crap it installed again. I really hate the way Microsoft doesn't give a toss about it's users and force all this crap on us. I am seriously considering going back to windows 7.

Soldato
Updates can be seemingly entirely controlled through group policy now. I don't know what the it guys have done at work, but my tablet refuses to connect to the update service and only will if I leave it on at work during specific hours. I need to find out how they've managed it.

Man of Honour
I'd love to be able to make Windows explorer more like Windows 7's without having to mess about with complete shell replacement :( that includes being able to use the aero style and I hate the clutter and useless noise that the Windows 10 version has despite some good features in amongst the mix.

Shame they've only done a few small iterative changes to start menu tiles - there is so much more that could be done with it in terms of group management, etc.

Back
Top Bottom