Windows 10

Soldato
The only thing I have stopped is my gfx card drivers from updating and it has worked.. I used "Show or hade updates", it might work for you darael?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...t-a-windows-update-from-reinstalling-in-windo

I havent updated windows since the 1st and I have just run that tool,, and its found a few new updates that I can block.......

121afyv.jpg

Man of Honour

To be fair most of those issues aren't particularly unusual on their own for an update... but it once again reinforces the stupidity of the forced update model - sure some of those issues have been caught and the update blocked, etc. but there are still going to be a not insignificant number of people dealing with issues that have fallen between the cracks or not properly blocked on their specific setup, etc.

MS just don't give a flying **** any more about the quality of life experience for the actual real world end user.

Soldato
I have been doing a bit of testing with 1809. I can make Winamp work if I change the output to WaveOut - how this affects anything else I don't know, but I couldn't tell any difference.

I always disable background apps running in the background. When it came to eject my USB disk, I didn't get the message telling me it was safe to remove. It turns out that disabling the Settings app running in the background affects this. :(

Soldato
Another small snag I have ran into. Windows 1803 is currently running fine on a laptop. I tried to update it 1809 and as soon as it tries to reboot to start the update it hangs at the Windows logo, right before you see the spinning circle of dots. Left it like this for 10 minutes, nothing. Knowing the laptop can boot from USB sticks, I put the Windows 1809 installer on a disk and it hangs at exactly the same place.

My own brief research shows people in October having this problem and some recommending updating the CPU microcode. The laptop is already on the latest BIOS and I shouldn't need to do this.

Soldato
the "open with" is broken.. I have been trying to set a file type to open with a program, but even when I tick the box "to use the file with this program", it never remember it..... Any ideas, it use to work fine?

Man of Honour
the "open with" is broken.. I have been trying to set a file type to open with a program, but even when I tick the box "to use the file with this program", it never remember it..... Any ideas, it use to work fine?

I'd assume you can still manually do the associations in the registry - but a bit beyond the scope of a post here.

Back
Top Bottom