Windows 10

Associate
I did try todo it manually though the registry but I couldnt work it out from the guide I was using off the net, so I gave up.

It's a well known issue caused by a CU last month. There was an interim CU released a few days ago that fixed it. It will be included in the next patch Tuesday releases if you haven't already installed it by then:

https://www.tenforums.com/windows-1...indows-10-v1803-build-17134-441-nov-27-a.html

Of course this update introduces at least one new bug. (Seekbar on WMP)

Last edited:
Soldato
Also I have just got a old hauppauge tv usb stick (HVR 900H) and windows doesn't like detecting it at all. When I first plug it in, it takes a few mins to show up in the device manager, and it works perfectly until you restart windows or unplug it, then it wont it at all no matter how long you leave it plugged in for. The only way to get windows to detect it, is to do a windows restore before I had the stick, then it will work again. I thought it was a power issue because it was taking ages to detect, but I tried a powered usb, but as soon as you plug it into the hub, the hub fails in the device manager.

Any fixes for this prob, I have looked everywhere on the net but with no joy, Im even thinking about trying win8.1?

Edit.. I will try that patch, you linked my to Dirk, It prob wont fix the usb prob but you never know and if it all goes wrong, I can always restore windows again... I dont know how I ever lived without Acronis True Image.

Last edited:
Soldato
Regarding your TV tuner, I have one by a completely different manufacturer but it's much happier being plugged into USB2 port than it is USB3. Of course you might not even have that option - my board is a few years old now so has both.

Soldato
Regarding your TV tuner, I have one by a completely different manufacturer but it's much happier being plugged into USB2 port than it is USB3. Of course you might not even have that option - my board is a few years old now so has both.

Thanks for that, I have tried it in every single usb port on my pc, even a pcie usb 3.0 card (you cant get a usb2.0 card for pcie slots) and its exactly the same. I have restored windows to get it working again, and it will work for a week until my pc gets restarted.

I guess its a tad too late going back to win7 as the support for it is almost over? I would try win 8.1 but I dont have a key.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is there a way to terminate auto updates for good on W10 yet?
My post from earlier............

Disable the windows auto update from the group policy editor, I havent had any problem with it enabling itself automatically again, even after installing big updates, it stays disabled. Also if you dont want the big updates to be installed as soon as they have come out, changed it to "Semi-Annual channel" in the advanced options on the windows update.

2nb94c2.jpg

b8wzmr.jpg

Associate
Is there a way to terminate auto updates for good on W10 yet?

I've already posted the best method a few times:

https://www.tenforums.com/windows-u...p-windows-10-updates-properly-completely.html

It's very simple in use:

1) Unpack to a Folder.
2) Run script
3) That's it. Automatic updates are blocked. Defender updates continue as normal. Get on with your life.

When you want to check for updates and/or have time to do them:

1) Run script again
2) Press any key to continue
3) Press C to check for updates
4) WUMT runs and presents list of available updates.
5) Hide or Install updates as you wish. Hide is useful if you don't want to rush into installing a feature update, for example.

If you do install updates it's a good idea to run the script again after rebooting.

There's no point people mentioning GPE as a method when it doesn't exist in Windows 10 Home and simply disabling the WU service is pointless as it will re-enable at will. The above method is simple and puts control of updates back in the users hands.

Soldato

https://www.tenforums.com/windows-u...p-windows-10-updates-properly-completely.html

It's very simple in use:

1) Unpack to a Folder.
2) Run script
3) That's it. Automatic updates are blocked. Defender updates continue as normal. Get on with your life.

1) Run script again
5) Hide or Install updates as you wish. Hide is useful if you don't want to rush into installing a feature update, for example.

If you do install updates it's a good idea to run the script again after rebooting.

There's no point people mentioning GPE as a method when it doesn't exist in Windows 10 Home and simply disabling the WU service is pointless as it will re-enable at will. The above method is simple and puts control of updates back in the users hands.
i will give that a go

Man of Honour

It's very simple in use:

1) Unpack to a Folder.
2) Run script

1) Run script again

Seems to be the only method that is reliable currently - still isn't a perfect solution if you want a certain degree of update management* rather than just shutting 10 up and/or future compatibility is an open question as with almost any tool/program that hooks into system functionality in 10 due to the nature of Windows as a service :(

* On 7 I expedite security updates while suppressing feature updates and maximise convenience especially in ways relevant to mobile usage where security is a bigger consideration in a way that is clunky with this approach and simply not possible with leaving Windows 10 to do its own thing.

Man of Honour
Microsoft's philosophy is if it ain't broke, patch it till it is.

I have no idea the origin of the quote but this one used to do the rounds on IRC back in the day:

"If at first you don't succeed, go work for Microsoft."

(Funny thing is I used to somewhat defend them back then and didn't get the haters - given the environment most of them were probably *nix fanboys mind).

Associate
Is it worth doing a manual install of the october update? Been waiting for it ages now.

There are several blocks in place which is why 1809 still isn't being offered to some users over WU. The blocks are there for a reason. If it's detected that your system will run into a known issue you don't get offered the update. By installing it manually you could circumvent this safeguard. Better to wait until you are offered the update over WU.

Take a look at this thread and particularly the blocks mentioned in the OP. If you think you won't be affected by any of the known issues it might be safe to install manually. New bugs are being found all the time though so it's up to you:

https://www.tenforums.com/windows-1...2018-update-version-1809-now-re-released.html

still isn't a perfect solution if you want a certain degree of update management* rather than just shutting 10 up and/or future compatibility is an open question as with almost any tool/program that hooks into system functionality in 10 due to the nature of Windows as a service

This method doesn't give you "a certain degree of update management". It gives you every degree of update management. Complete control of updates. It's that simple. It's an active project so i'm not worried about what Microsoft may do in future. It'll work as needed for the foreseeable future.

Back
Top Bottom